!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Has anybody tried reconstructing the Venus d'Milo's arms?  (Read 1347 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
I mean has any serious art expert attempted reconstructing her arms?

Was she carrying a spear? Holding a bunch of flowers? Was she waving at someone?

Does anyone know what she was holding and what she was doing with her arms?

I am sure there are some pretty zany suggestions from the Internet's nation of Photoshop freaks out there...all suggestions greatly appreciated but, first and foremost, I am looking for accredited art experts theories.
"I live in hope"

Offline Cosmos

• Masters
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 8
  • Helpfulness: 8
  • Sydney, NSW.
Re: Has anybody tried reconstructing the Venus d'Milo's arms?
« Reply #1 on: 26 April, 2015, 10:53:42 AM »
The arms were lost (sank) during the transportation of the statue according to this account from nelsonprice.com

There was no Greek government at the time only people who spoke Greek. The large French contingency on the island desired her. Yorgos and islanders wanted her to go to the Sultan to help gain tax relief. A conflict over her destiny resulted. The French eventually drug her to one of their ships anchored near the shore in the nearby harbor. Significant scratches resulting from the dragging can be seen on her back by a close observe. In a small boat they loaded her onto their ship. The arms were too heavy so they were in the process of being taken to another French ship anchored further off shore when the boat in which they were being transported sank and the arms were lost.

The account also contains a description of the statue's original condition

Originally she was painted and adorned with accents, such as ear rings and a bracelet, intended to give her a more life like appearance. In her left hand she held an apple, the symbol of Milos, and her right arm was across her torso as though the hand was tugging at the folds draped on her bent knee.

Complete article http://www.nelsonprice.com/milos-what-happened-to-the-arms-of-venus-demilo/

From that description it would be possible to reconstruct (with a 3D printer?) a facsimile of the original.
Bare barbarer barberer rabarbera bra .

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: Has anybody tried reconstructing the Venus d'Milo's arms?
« Reply #2 on: 26 April, 2015, 11:15:46 AM »
Thank you Cosmos...your answer spurred me to do a little digging about Venus having an grannie smith in her hand and my very quick search lead me swiftly to this excellent video on YouTube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT27rGkg4S0

PS Unlike nearly everything else on YouTube about the Venus de Milo, this video is actually serious and exceptionally reconstructed and produced.

It bears out you theory perfectly, Cosmos.
"I live in hope"