!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: How much of a bargain did Google get when it bought YouTube for $1.65 billion ?  (Read 906 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
1.6 billion dollars in 2006? Cripes!

But isn't YouTube supposed to be massively expensive to run? A bottomless money pit?

So I was wondering...

Has YouTube's advertising income since 2006 been a massive drain on Google's resources?

Or has it turned out to be a mega cash cow?

Just how profitable is YouTube?
"I live in hope"

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
For all you who have been gasping for an answer to this question since I posted it yonks ago...

YouTube is estimated now to be worth up to $160 billion. 

100% growth in value is not a bad return on the piddling 1.6 billion Google paid for it twelve short years ago in 2006!

This was arguably one of the smartest business decisions in tech history, as YouTube would continue to become one of the most popular websites on the Internet.

With its monetised ads and streaming services, it has successfully developed into a website which can be viewed for free and yet still generate huge revenue.

So says the website www.looxcie.com youtube-worth
"I live in hope"