!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: 'Good grief!' - when is grief good?  (Read 627 times)

Offline Duffield1

• Founder member and wannabe deity.
  • Administrator
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 61
  • -Receive: 36
  • Helpfulness: 67
  • I ain't nothing but a hound dawg...
'Good grief!' - when is grief good?
« on: 06 March, 2015, 09:36:15 PM »
Seems a strange exclamation!

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: 'Good grief!' - when is grief good?
« Reply #1 on: 07 March, 2015, 06:34:44 AM »
Usually, any oath or exclamation that includes 'good', uses the word 'good' as a polite  euphemism for the word 'God''...and this really is just a guess so please just step in if you know something more accurate.

So 'Good Grief' might equal shouting 'God's Grief' which is presumably (and another guess on my part) refers to God the Father's extreme grief at seeing his only son put to death.

So 'good grief!' or God's grief!' means 'I am in the deepest grief possible' not that grief is good and a bundle of laughs.

However, back to your question 'Good grief!' - when is grief good?

Well, this question is literally a very philosophical one asking 'What, if anything, is the function and benefits of the grieving process?'

Grief or grieving gives the relatives and the friends of the deceased a time period in which to come to terms with loss and, for some, to come to terms with any
guilt over whether they could have visited deceased more or should have told the deceased they loved the deceased often.

In essence, grief is good in the sense that it is a process whose function is to be a recognised period when the griever is allowed to act out of character, weep and yell in order to arrive at a point where the griever accepts death and loss and can return to active normal life again without looking selfish and unfeeling.

Anthropologically speaking, many ethnographers point to the fact that various cultures, in the Far East etc, make an issue out of very loud and dramatic public demonstrations of grief...the more wailing and breast beating the better to display 'proper' grief and status in the funeral stakes.

That's my take on grief but I'd welcome reading other posts so get your keyboards out!
"I live in hope"