!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Amazing Grace. Written by an American slave?  (Read 748 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Amazing Grace. Written by an American slave?
« on: 04 March, 2015, 05:36:20 PM »
For some reason I get told some strange things.

The latest is that Amazing Grace was written by an escaped American slave?

Is it true or is it time I changed my friends?
"I live in hope"

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: Amazing Grace. Written by an American slave?
« Reply #1 on: 23 November, 2017, 08:21:36 AM »
For some reason I get told some strange things.

The latest is that Amazing Grace was written by an escaped American slave?

Is it true or is it time I changed my friends?

This here question has lain unanswered and gathering dust in IA's cellar for well over two years - but a miracle happened last night...  By chance I had Amazing Grace playing in the background on Spotify while I was working on my laptop last night and that sparked off my interest in Amazing Grace all over again.

It seems that my friend (who'd told me that Amazing Grace was written by an American slave) actually got it half right! It was in fact written by a former slave trader - and the story behind Amazing Grace is as spooky as it is up-lifting.

First though, you have to spool yourself back to the heady days of the late 1700s...John Newton was an Anglican priest with one hell of a murky past. He had been an avid slave trader scooping up defenceless Africans and shipping them America to slave away in the cotton fields.

But then, Shazzaaaaam! It hit!

A near death experience converted him to Christianity. The big whammy came in 1748 when he was quietly going about his nasty business in the Atlantic slave trade when a horrendously fierce storm battered his slave boat off the coast of Ireland. He begged God for his life and, after about 8 years, he chucked the slave trade in for good and started studying to become a priest.

That's when he wrote Amazing Grace - and it's no surprise that the opening lines are "“Amazing grace! (how sweet the sound) that saved a wretch like me!”

Amen to that.
"I live in hope"