!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Are the boundaries of the City of London clearly marked?  (Read 2288 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Are the boundaries of the City of London clearly marked?
« on: 22 February, 2015, 06:59:00 AM »
It just struck me that, even after worked in the Square Mile for years, I never once knew where the City of London stopped or where it started.

I never once saw a sign or a marker, not even a single sentry box.

So where are the boundaries of the famous Square Mile? Are they clearly marked?

And is it really a square 1.6km?
"I live in hope"

Offline seacommander

• Founder member.
  • Founder
  • Archimedes
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 63
  • Helpfulness: 87
Re: Are the boundaries of the City of London clearly marked?
« Reply #1 on: 22 February, 2015, 04:33:04 PM »
I think P-K that having worked for some years in the City you have probably answered the first part of your question and that is, is that the boundaries are not very clearly marked today.

Originally, the City was marked by 10 guardian dragons located at:

2 on Victoria Embankment
Temple Bar
2 at Holborn
Farringdon
Aldersgate
Moorgate
Bishopsgate
Aldgate
2 at London Bridge
Blackfriars Bridge.

The map at this site plots their location:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zxEVam6mq-_E.kNE0J6ofUEMw&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0

The area of the City is just a gnat's whisker off 1 sq mile at 1.12 sq miles or 2.9 sq km but as you can see from the map above is not at all square in shape.
« Last Edit: 22 February, 2015, 11:36:28 PM by seacommander »

Offline Hiheels

• Founder member, in the naughty corner for smoking in the café.
  • Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 123
  • -Receive: 82
  • Helpfulness: 677
  • Yes, yes, very nice. Now put it away.
« Reply #2 on: 22 February, 2015, 09:54:45 PM »
Hope you don't mind me popping this link on too, SC, it's just that your answer sparked my interest into what they might look like so I did a bit of a search and found the following, which I thought was rather interesting http://www.seiryu.org.uk/ppp/city-dragon.html

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: 22 February, 2015, 11:15:33 PM »
I think P-K that having worked for some years in the City you have probably answered the first part of your question and that is, is that the boundaries are not very clearly marked today.

Originally, the City was marked by 10 guardian dragons located at:

2 on Victoria Embankment
Temple Bar
2 at Holborn
Farringdon
Aldersgate
Moorgate
Bishopsgate
Aldgate
2 at London Bridge
Blackfriars Bridge.

The map at this site plots them:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zxEVam6mq-_E.kNE0J6ofUEMw&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0

The area of the City is just a gnat's whisker off 1 sq mile at 1.12 sq miles or 2.9 sq km but as you can see from the map above is not at all square in shape.
"I live in hope"

Offline seacommander

• Founder member.
  • Founder
  • Archimedes
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 63
  • Helpfulness: 87
« Reply #4 on: 22 February, 2015, 11:38:08 PM »
Of course I don't mind Heels; chipping in with additional and interesting info is what IA is about.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: 22 February, 2015, 11:56:41 PM »
Well SC, your answer surprised me on several levels!

First, thanks for the map...I know all of the boundaries and have walked or taken a cab along all of them except a stretch of the most northerly.

But the really big news for me was the Dragon Gates...had never heard of them before (what a thing for a Londoner to have to admit!

So that explains the silver and red dragons I've seen ever since I was a little kid dotted about in odd places like the Embankment, Holborn and Blackfriars...I didn't even realise that the Embankment, Holborn and Blackfriars were inside the City!

Also, those dragons, which I first spotted when I was a kid, I always thought were griffins!

And thanks to you too Hiheels for popping up with your  link with all its pics absolutely blew me away  because, in one fell swoop, something I had thought of for decades as being a griffin was nothing of the sort. So they are dragons, not griffins! Mind boggling. Re-format Memory disk immediately.

Lastly, I was amazed to see the City of London's southern boundary not rumming along the Embankment but running down the midddle of the Thames...and then heading  south right to the South London side foot of Blackfriars Bridge and including all of the bridge.

So many thanks for making my day...you too Heels. Thank you both.
"I live in hope"