!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: How many countries have not been conquered by a European state?  (Read 4405 times)

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: How many countries have not been conquered by a European state?
« Reply #1 on: 27 January, 2015, 03:35:13 PM »
I think the answer to your question Siasl is NONE.

I do know that Britain has apparently invaded every country on Earth bar a measly 22 out of the 195 or however many nations there are.*

You can see these 22 un-invaded nations shown in white on the if you scroll map right to the very end of this post.

Or you can click on the following link, to that ever-trustworthy protector of The British Empire, The Daily Telegraph, which also shows the same handy little map highlighting the few un-invaded places in white with the rest of the World in the deepest British pink.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/9653497/British-have-invaded-nine-out-of-ten-countries-so-look-out-Luxembourg.html

And, of those lonely 22 countries shown in stark white on the Telegraph map that haven't been invaded by us, practically all (I think absolutely all) have been invaded by other European countries at some time in their history.

Let's start knocking off those white painted un-invaded states one by one...starting with African states such as the Republic of Congo and the Central African Republic because those two were invaded by the Belgians and the Germans (I am not totally sure about the Germans but they seem to have got everywhere else in Africa looking for lebensraum).

Earlier, Germany invaded Burundi and disguised it as German East Africa.

The French popped off Chad. The French also charged in to Mali. Then did exactly the same thing, invading The Ivory Coast on March 10, 1893 and promptly renaming it Côte d'Ivoire.

In Europe, the Russians nabbed Uzbekistan. And Belarus. They also found time to invade Sweden (during the Great Northern War between Sweden and the allied states of Russia, Poland, and Denmark on 1 January 1708).

They also wandered into Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan.

Luxembourg was invaded by Germany in World War ll.

The Italians took Monaco and re-founded it in 1215 as a colony of Genoa.

In South America, the Spanish beat us to it by invading Guatemala way back in the 1500s. They also took Bolivia and Ecuador.

Even Mongolia, although shown as un-invaded by the British on the Telegraph map, didn't escape the European curse completely...,the country came under unwelcome Soviet influence, resulting in the proclamation of the Mongolian People's Republic as a Soviet satellite state in 1924.

That leaves little Andorra but even Andorra fell to The First French Empire which annexed Catalonia and divided it in four départements, with Andorra being made part of the district of Puigcerdà (département of Sègre).

Andorra also saw its football pitch invaded by rampaging Welsh footie fans after Gareth Bale scored the late winning goal in the UEFA Cup.

Even tiny Liechtenstein saw another invasion of sorts a few years back by 170 misguided infantry soldiers from the famously neutral Switzerland who wandered more than a mile across the unmarked border with the tiny principality. See this Guardian link for all the exciting details...

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/mar/02/markoliver

Liechtenstein actually has a long history of being invaded by Europeans...the hairy Alemanni, an early Germanic people, and the Frankish hordes invaded.

Way out East in the Pacific Ocean, even the minuscule Marshall Islands succumbed to might of European invasion and was part of the Spanish East Indies in the late Victorian era until Spain flogged off the islands to Germany in 1884.

So, after extensive research, the answer to your question, Siasl, seems to be not one single country (that I can find) has avoided being over-run at some time by Europeans wielding muskets. Quite right too.

*. My figure of 195 nations is based on there being 193 member states in the UN plus two observer nations as of 2014. Although there are 201 states with partial UN recognition. See http://www.polgeonow.com/2011/04/how-many-countries-are-there-in-world.html

PS Yes, I do seem to have quite a lot of spare time on my hands today. If I have inadvertently missed anybody out, please feel free to add your own reply to this post. Offer does not apply to newly emerging nations.
« Last Edit: 27 January, 2015, 08:37:48 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline siasl

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: 27 January, 2015, 09:24:11 PM »
An absolutely sterling answer, although my Twitter feed gives a different (but unreferenced) answer. Key to the solution may well be in that the target country needs to be conquered/controlled/colonised, not merely invaded.

You're certainly in the lead, though

Offline antonymous

• Perpendicular Galileo Galilei
  • Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 133
  • Helpfulness: 168
  • "We're all bankers now!"
    • Antonymous2011 Flickr Page
« Reply #3 on: 28 January, 2015, 12:23:58 AM »
Defining 'conquered' as being beaten in battle and occupied, subjugated and possibly colonised.

Bhutan, Liberia, Saudi Arabia, Vatican City, Bulgaria, Spain and Sweden have never been subjugated by a European power since their formation.

Bhutan has been independent since 10th C.

Liberia was established  by the USA for freed slaves in 1847

Saudi Arabia, Bulgaria and Spain were all occupied by the Ottoman Turks (Not Europeans)

The Vatican City's neutrality was observed when the rest of  Rome was occupied by the Germans in WWII, similarly Sweden was spared occupation by remaining neutral in WWII.( They may have been defeated in a battle  in the Great Northern War but were not occupied by Russia and its allies.)

I make that 6 at least

Oh and make that 7 because modern day Israel has never been conquered by anybody.(Not for lack of trying! Facepalm)

AND of course almost all of those 'banana republics' and mini island states that have sprung up in the last 50 years as they have'nt had a chance yet to feel the wrath of any belligerent European state.

PS; Mongolia has never been conquered it became part of the USSR by voluntary association, preferring that to being allied with its previous conquerors - the  Chinese.
« Last Edit: 28 January, 2015, 07:48:02 AM by antonymous »
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Sometimes it'svice versa"

Offline siasl

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: 28 January, 2015, 10:39:16 AM »
If Turkey counts as Europe, doesn't Bulgaria being conquered by the Ottoman empire count as a European invasion?

For Bhutan, does the Bhutan War against the Brits count (we won)?

I'll ignore the Spanish Civil war, though - not sure that should count :)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: 28 January, 2015, 12:37:32 PM »
Note to Antonymous...

Whaaaa? Bhutan, Liberia, Saudi Arabia, Vatican City, Bulgaria, Spain, Sweden, Israel and the Vatican are still un-invaded?

Both the soldiers left in the British Army should be dispatched immediately to rectify this deplorable  oversight!
« Last Edit: 06 April, 2016, 05:00:52 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline antonymous

• Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: 28 January, 2015, 05:34:36 PM »
If Turkey counts as Europe, doesn't Bulgaria being conquered by the Ottoman empire count as a European invasion?*

*Sorry but Turkey is technically in Asia cos it's the wrong side of the Bosphorous.

......"Bhutan the only countries which have been independent throughout their history, never conquered, occupied, or governed by an outside power (notwithstanding occasional [nominal] tributary status)". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Bhutan
« Last Edit: 28 January, 2015, 05:36:32 PM by antonymous »
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Sometimes it'svice versa"

Offline antonymous

• Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: 28 January, 2015, 05:39:11 PM »
Note to Antonymous...

Whaaaa? Bhutan, Liberia, Saudi Arabia, Vatican City, Bulgaria, Spain, Sweden, Israel and the Vatican are   still un-invaded?

Both soldiers in the British Army should be dispatched immediately to rectify this deplorable  oversight!

*The original question referred to conquered
« Last Edit: 28 January, 2015, 05:40:43 PM by antonymous »

Offline siasl

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: 28 January, 2015, 08:36:37 PM »
If Turkey counts as Europe, doesn't Bulgaria being conquered by the Ottoman empire count as a European invasion?*

*Sorry but Turkey is technically in Asia cos it's the wrong side of the Bosphorous.

......"Bhutan the only countries which have been independent throughout their history, never conquered, occupied, or governed by an outside power (notwithstanding occasional [nominal] tributary status)". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Bhutan
I did say "if" Turkey counts as Europe :)

For Bhutan, it looks a bit like a grey area, one wiki page suggests one way, and another suggests the opposite.

Offline antonymous

• Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: 28 January, 2015, 10:00:54 PM »

For Bhutan, it looks a bit like a grey area, one wiki page suggests one way, and another suggests the opposite.

My original source was a UN list of countries showing established date and previous rulers, Bhutan was the only country to have 'NONE' in that column.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: 28 January, 2015, 10:25:55 PM »
Excellent answers, one and all....but I have to admit, I have lost count.

What's the consensus? Just how many countries have not been conquered by a European state? Please.
"I live in hope"

Offline antonymous

• Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: 29 January, 2015, 08:32:33 AM »
My vote is 9 and rising.