!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Am I right in saying that James Corden used to do the voiceover for the...  (Read 19733 times)

Offline Hiheels

• Founder member, in the naughty corner for smoking in the café.
  • Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 123
  • -Receive: 82
  • Helpfulness: 677
  • Yes, yes, very nice. Now put it away.
We Buy Any Car.com adverts but now it's just someone who sounds like him?
If so, do we know why they changed?

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
To tell the truth, I hadn't and still haven't noticed they'd changed the voice overs on We Buy Any Car.com commercials...but that's only because the minute the commercial break comes on, out comes my zapper and I swiftly tap-dance off to a blissfully commercial-less BBC channel. I hate commercials which is pretty weird considering how many happy years I spent art directing them.

Anyway, I can think of two main reasons why a used car dealer might suddenly change voice-over artists.

The first reason is this stuff...

...faced with the recent massive increase in James Corden's fame (which I am sure his itchy-fingered agent might just have noticed) the fees James Corden can now demand for voice-overs will have doubled, trebled or quadrupled. More fame equals more (and much juicier) fees to cash in on.

On the client side (as you'd expect from a bunch of used car salesmen) I am sure that when faced with a massive increase of fees, We Buy Any Car.com will have asked themselves "Why pay top dollar when you can get a sound-alike for peanuts? And the punters won't know the difference, will they?"

There are shed-loads of hungry actors out there who are two a penny and can imitate other voices and it'd be relatively simple (and far cheaper) to find a sound-alike James Corden. No problem and think of the moolah saved!

The other main possible reason why a fake James Corden voice-over artiste may have suddenly stepped in might simply be that, as James Corden's fame has increased, so too will have the number of jobs and the size of the projects he'll be being offered.

He might simply be far too busy to faff around doing used car commercials anymore.

Last I heard James Corden is waltzing across the Atlantic to crack the USA and Tinsle Town...there's a Disney adaptation of the

musical Into The Woods for a start where he'll be starring next to Meryl Streep and Johnny Depp.

I think James Corden and his agent would say that that's a lot more fun and a lot more lucrative than being locked in a in a sweaty sound booth doing used car ads in a grotty sound studio in Soho, don't you?
« Last Edit: 08 January, 2017, 09:17:03 AM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline Hiheels

• Founder member, in the naughty corner for smoking in the café.
  • Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 123
  • -Receive: 82
  • Helpfulness: 677
  • Yes, yes, very nice. Now put it away.
Some good points well made, P-K, my only counter would be that I don't think any wording has changed so, to my knowledge, there'd be no reason for him to re-record once the initial ad was completed...but then I can't say I know for sure it hasn't and the other reasons you give probably more than cover the actual reason.
I was just curious.

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
Perhaps Mr Corden's agent was sufficiently cunning to put a time limit on how long the voice over sample could be used for...

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
Perhaps Mr Corden's agent was sufficiently cunning to put a time limit on how long the voice over sample could be used for...

That'd be quite standard practice...as well as time limits  there'd also be a clause in the voiceover contract limited the commercial's usage rights to set geographic areas ie just in England, Europe wide or worldwide as well as proscribing usage to just within the UK mainland, not for broadcasting in USA, Canada, Australia etc.

As with all contracts the aim is to protect the pockets of those concerned.
"I live in hope"

Tony Fillingham

Yeah James cordon would have had a 12 month buy out. If they carry on showing the advert after this the company would have to negotiate a fee again and as cordons stock has gone through the roof it makes sense to get a soundalike for a small fraction of cordens fee.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
Yeah James cordon would have had a 12 month buy out. If they carry on showing the advert after this the company would have to negotiate a fee again and as cordons stock has gone through the roof it makes sense to get a soundalike for a small fraction of cordens fee.

Well said, Tony. Also, We-Buy-Any-Car's advertising agency (and especially the ad agency's media department) would have been scrupulously on the ball...it's a part of their job to be eagle-eyed, looking for those looming close-off dates to the voice-over usage.

They probably have a delegated employee or three making sure they don't overstep the close-off dates otherwise they'd get seriously clobbered by James Cordon's equally eagle-eyed agents.

James Corden would have been totally uninvolved in all this third party activity. He'd be happily sunning himself at Palm Springs with a daiquiri in each hand. Tough life, innit.
"I live in hope"