!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: How many calories are there in poo?  (Read 2466 times)

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
How many calories are there in poo?
« on: 19 May, 2014, 10:18:40 PM »
In a moment of deep contemplation in a spare few idle minutes sitting down, it occurred to me that the human body burns approx 100 calories per hour at rest, and the recommended caloric intake is about 2,500 per day for an adult male.

A bit of a rummage on the internet came up with "Harvard Health Publications reports that a 155-pound person expends about 102 calories per hour doing computer work, 120 calories sitting in meetings, 148 calories driving, 186 calories doing police work, bartending or waitressing, 410 calories doing construction work and 892 calories per hour firefighting."

So, after all this, does this mean that poo is calorie-free? (Not that I am advising it as a dietary aid!) But isn't poo used as a fuel in some places, and does that therefore mean that it has colories (possibly quite a few)?

Offline antonymous

• Perpendicular Galileo Galilei
  • Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 133
  • Helpfulness: 168
  • "We're all bankers now!"
    • Antonymous2011 Flickr Page
Re: How many calories are there in poo?
« Reply #1 on: 19 May, 2014, 11:45:49 PM »
Poo as a fuel is due to the fact that it breaks down with microbial action into methane gas. As a solid fuel some animals' poo, eg horse and camel,  have so much fibre in them which will, when dried, burn quite readily. There is probably no organic substance that does'nt have some calorific value.
« Last Edit: 20 May, 2014, 07:55:08 AM by antonymous »
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Sometimes it'svice versa"

matey

« Reply #2 on: 17 April, 2019, 10:29:23 AM »
I had the same question and the internet seems full of crap ( pardon the pun) answers.

your body has so many calories going in to it. it uses some immediately in digesting foods, etc, it uses some for movement and stores some as fat. poo does have a calorific value ( it burns when dried) and so i am just interested in what that calorific value is.

nobody is talking about eating the stuff, just trying to determine the body's efficiency at extracting the calories out of food and relating that to exercise, etc.

if you dont know the answer, no need to reply.

Offline Duffield1

• Founder member and wannabe deity.
  • Administrator
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 61
  • -Receive: 35
  • Helpfulness: 66
  • I ain't nothing but a hound dawg...
« Reply #3 on: 03 May, 2019, 12:43:41 PM »
This medical study states: "the energy content per gram wet weight remains relatively constant (8 kJ/g)", which would equate to 1.6 calories per gram. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1793018/

An average human poops 400-500g per day, so taking 450g as an 'average', that'd give you 720 calories per poop.