!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: can Marmite go off?  (Read 32962 times)

Offline jacquesdor

• Founder member.
  • Founder
  • Bachelor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 13
  • Helpfulness: 24
can Marmite go off?
« on: 10 May, 2009, 01:43:39 PM »
I realised yesterday that the Marmite which I enjoy almost every day is WAY beyond the use by date.
It looks, smells and tastes absolutely fine so I intend to carry on eating it.
I have to wonder, though, what is happening to it now the time has expired? It is hard to imagine that it can go off, certainly to go bad. Does anyone know what is happening to it, and what is the worst I can expect if I continue to use it?
« Last Edit: 10 May, 2009, 01:47:05 PM by jacquesdor »

Offline Hiheels

• Founder member, in the naughty corner for smoking in the café.
  • Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 123
  • -Receive: 82
  • Helpfulness: 677
  • Yes, yes, very nice. Now put it away.
Re: can Marmite go off?
« Reply #1 on: 10 May, 2009, 10:34:19 PM »
After extensive digging it looks like the consensus is that IF it does, it takes forever (maybe due to the salt).
There's some discussion about it here between folks who are eating it past it's date, if it's got one http://www.soulcysters.net/can-vegemite-actually-go-bad-264915/

Offline macavity

• Founder member.
  • Founder
  • Student - AS Level
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
  • Helpfulness: 13
    • props fashions
« Reply #2 on: 11 May, 2009, 07:11:32 AM »
The concensus is that vegemite (which was made when Australia could not get marmite during the first world war) will out live humans.

Marmite is supposed to go off quicker but why I have been unable to find out why. I would suspect the only part that could make it go off is water that is in it but the types of preservatives that are in it could probbally counter balance that part.

Like a lot of the regulations that the EU have forced upon us as regards the date or shelf life have no reason to be put on certain things but companies are bound by law to put a date on.

As for the effects of what you may suffer by eating after the date as expired I would think are an increase in your salt intake and stronger taste in the malt extract   

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
« Reply #3 on: 11 May, 2009, 10:30:44 AM »
It also depends on how you use it - if you use a knife to get at it, and the knife has butter residue on it, then you may leave stuff in there that goes off and ruins the batch

Otherwise, I've had a jar for about 5 years, once, with no sign of fur

dawn cowles

« Reply #4 on: 20 November, 2013, 08:32:02 AM »
We brought a very large jar with us to our holiday home, over 6 year ago. We recently discovered it in the cupboard when we moved there to live. It tastes great! And we are suffering no ill effects. Marmite - you just gotta love it  Joy

Wompon

« Reply #5 on: 22 November, 2013, 10:58:54 AM »
I don't think it would affect the taste that much whether it was off or not.  It's vile stuff anyway!

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
« Reply #6 on: 23 November, 2013, 07:02:42 AM »
In the expert opinion of Mrs P-K who is a dedicated user of Marmite "I've known other people's Marmite has lasted five or six or years but, with me around, a jar of Marmite never has a chance of lasting long enough to go off."
« Last Edit: 17 March, 2015, 07:00:40 AM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

CDex

« Reply #7 on: 16 March, 2015, 01:49:41 PM »
I've just discovered that my tub from Costco (the big 400g one that you can actually get into with a knife when it's nearly empty) went out of date on 14th January 2014... 14 months ago. Been eating it regularly before then and since.

I'm still here, though I had a large marmite sandwich yesterday and am feeling a bit queasy. I have overdose on Pepsi Max the last few days though, so this might not be Marmite related. No ill effects up til today.

DCR

« Reply #8 on: 23 July, 2016, 08:32:24 PM »
Marmite and/or Vegemite have a shelf-life like the half-life of plutonium.  Unless you contaminate a jar with food residue of something else that will 'go off', the stuff will outlast cockroaches and twinkies (after a nuclear holocaust). Gd_pst

Darren staddon

« Reply #9 on: 10 October, 2016, 04:18:43 AM »
Just seen that mine is over 2.5 years past its sell by date but it looks and tastes fine.  I'm eating it!

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
« Reply #10 on: 10 October, 2016, 10:08:01 AM »

My brother's local butcher in Hampshire makes Marmite Sausages. These Marmite Sausages taste fantastic but, sad news. they do go off if left hanging around too long. Seems that even the omnipotent Marmite can't reverse the ageing process - I think it's all to do with membrane fatty acid composition of bangers being immune even to the narcotic effect of Marmite that we all love so much. Which is why Marmite eaters tend to live 22% longer than non-Marmite eaters.
"I live in hope"