!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Who invented the vegetarian sausage?  (Read 1732 times)

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
Who invented the vegetarian sausage?
« on: 14 April, 2014, 09:30:29 AM »

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: Who invented the vegetarian sausage?
« Reply #1 on: 14 April, 2014, 02:10:48 PM »
I would have thought the Romans would have invented the first vegetarian filling but the origin of the first all-vegetarian sausage (ie including the casing as well as the veggie sausage filling) seems to mired in history.

Even the gourmet geniuses at Wiki can't supply much of a definitive answer.

They do say, however...."The history of the vegetarian hot dog is not clear, but Worthington Foods' Veja-Link meatless wieners claim to have been the world's first vegetarian hot dogs in 1949.

On June 19, 2000, the Chicago White Sox made baseball history when they began selling vegetarian hot dogs during games at Comiskey Park.."

Sorry not to be able to pin it down more tightly.

But wait a mo!
What's this I see from a BBC site dedicated to ten inventions that owe their existence as a result of the First World War?

"You might imagine that soy sausages were invented by some hippy, probably in the 1960s and probably in California. You would be wrong. Soy sausages were invented by Konrad Adenauer, the first German chancellor after World War Two, and a byword for steady probity - dullness would be an unkind word.

During WW1, Adenauer was mayor of Cologne and as the British blockade of Germany began to bite, starvation set in badly in the city. Adenauer had an ingenious mind - an inventive mind - and researched ways of substituting available materials for scarce items, such as meat."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26935867

Nut Cutlets are better documented. Not much better but slightly...An American cookbook, Vegetarian Cook Book: Substitutes for Flesh Foods by E G Fulton (c. 1910) gives several recipes.

It doesn't say whether Konrad Adenauer went the whole hog and used veggie casings too...or maybe old offcuts of zeppelins?

« Last Edit: 14 April, 2014, 02:17:28 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"