!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Which font uses the least ink?  (Read 4263 times)

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
Which font uses the least ink?
« on: 02 April, 2014, 09:27:21 AM »
Assuming printing at the same font size.

Offline antonymous

• Perpendicular Galileo Galilei
  • Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 133
  • Helpfulness: 168
  • "We're all bankers now!"
    • Antonymous2011 Flickr Page
Re: Which font uses the least ink?
« Reply #1 on: 02 April, 2014, 09:48:46 AM »
At a guess its the Ryman eco-font. See attachment;

It is claimed to use 33% less ink than standard  fonts. 
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Sometimes it'svice versa"

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
« Reply #2 on: 02 April, 2014, 10:32:33 AM »
There are countless ultra thin and ultra light versions of fonts...

This link shows you just one called DyeLine Ultra Light which is close to the Futura family of fonts...

http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/northernblock/dye-line/

but you can find plenty of other super thin fonts by googling the words ultra thin fonts free download.

The only trouble is if you are using a downloaded font you have to make sure anyone who receives a document from you also has that font loaded...otherwise their computer will merely seek the nearest similar font it can supply...which defeats the object of the exercise and wrecks your formatting.

You could send people pdf's which'd get round the problem.

But using (the very lightest weight of) Helvetica would probably be the most world-wide accessible and most lightweight font.

Helvetica comes in  a massive range of about 35 weights but as it is a licenced font it will cost you about $30 from Monotype.com.
« Last Edit: 02 April, 2014, 10:35:18 AM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline Duffield1

• Founder member and wannabe deity.
  • Administrator
  • Maria Montessori
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 61
  • -Receive: 36
  • Helpfulness: 67
  • I ain't nothing but a hound dawg...
« Reply #3 on: 02 April, 2014, 01:14:58 PM »
I saw this on the BBC website today - they claimed it was Garamond, but you really can't compare like with like when it comes to fonts, as some fonts at 12pt look significantly smaller (and therefore will use up less ink) than others.  The sample they looked at was pretty poor, too - no Gill Sans or Calibri, which are my two personal favourites!

I'd question PK's suggestion of Helvetica as the most accessibly, purely because that isn't a font that is bundled with Microsoft products, and as Windows-based PCs are still the most popular, Arial might be a better suggestion.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: 02 April, 2014, 01:35:33 PM »
I saw this on the BBC website today - they claimed it was Garamond, but you really can't compare like with like when it comes to fonts, as some fonts at 12pt look significantly smaller (and therefore will use up less ink) than others.  The sample they looked at was pretty poor, too - no Gill Sans or Calibri, which are my two personal favourites!

I'd question PK's suggestion of Helvetica as the most accessibly, purely because that isn't a font that is bundled with Microsoft products, and as Windows-based PCs are still the most popular, Arial might be a better suggestion.
[/u][/b]

You'd be right...Arial is a cheapo Helvetica knock-off...but that doesn't matter to most people.

However the ultra light weight of Helvetica is far lighter than the lightest Arial Light and so the least ink consuming.

But the old issue of whether to actually pay for a font is now almost solely confined to lost souls like myself who think that (just like when buying a record or a book) paying a royalty to the artist is the only way to go in order to guarantee more professionally designed fonts. Any thing else is piracy or counterfeiting.

I remember that, when I started buying fonts back in the early 70s, a font such as Gill or Helvetica or Times would cost £72 even back then...that'd be £635 today!

By bundling fonts Bill Gates has probably done far more to revolutionise design and communication than Gutenberg and Caxton ever did between them.

I never thought I'd ever hear me saying anything so positive about Bill Gates! Must be mellowing. Must watch out.

In a way it's a great shame that Gates didn't bundle world-accepted real fonts such as Helvetica, Garamond, Gill etc etc as he did with Times Roman. Instead he used ugly poor look-alikes. The ugly face of so many home produced print items is his unfortunate legacy.

I presume added on-cost was a factor?
« Last Edit: 02 April, 2014, 01:44:22 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline Duffield1

• Founder member and wannabe deity.
  • Administrator
  • Maria Montessori
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 61
  • -Receive: 36
  • Helpfulness: 67
  • I ain't nothing but a hound dawg...
« Reply #5 on: 02 April, 2014, 02:58:30 PM »
Probably would be an issue with cost and licensing of the fonts, when he wanted to distribute them freely.

I share your enthusiasm for nice fonts - my company logo is designed in Peggs, which is a wonderfully modern take on Courier.  And yes, I've paid for it!
http://www.colophon-foundry.org/fonts/peggs/regular

Offline siasl

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: 02 April, 2014, 03:22:33 PM »

I hadn't noticed that Helvetica wasn't bundled, but then I checked my work machine and you're correct. However, you can bundle a font in with your document with the save options so that the recipient of your document can read it (and even edit it) in all its Helvetican glory

Offline antonymous

• Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: 02 April, 2014, 05:27:51 PM »
With about 300+ fonts on my machine I am spoilt for choice I guess - but no Helvetica  , but so what?
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Sometimes it'svice versa"

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: 02 April, 2014, 07:02:41 PM »
With about 300+ fonts on my machine I am spoilt for choice I guess - but no Helvetica  , but so what?

So what? Ant my friend, I agree with you in a way...but then I sort of don't.

I remember when I started in graphics as a cub typographer on computers in the mid 70s...having two fonts then was a big deal.

Now kids aged four or five can get a couple of thousand 'fonts' for peanuts.

But the big difference is this...what's the point if you are an artist having a couple of thousand tubes of paint if they are all garbage?

You need fewer but better tools.

A font, or at least a masterpiece of a font, is a true work of beauty and, even though it is underestimated by the bulk of people, it is a work that takes the typographer many years to develop and draw.

Does that not suggest that the type designer should get a wage from this or should anybody from Peoria to Preston just be allowed to pirate it willy-nilly?

Here the parallels with the arguments against net piracy of music is entirely apposite.

Unfortunately those outside the world of type designing and who just nick the bricks don't seem to realise type design is a creative property...it also one that can take years of massive effort and hard-earned learning.

Today, sadly, hardly any publishers even acknowledge or credit the typeface used in their publications - Penguin under Alan Aldridge in the 80s was a notable exception to this but even Penguin has now abandoned mentioning which font a novel has been printed in. Shame really...they and other publishers should reinstate the type credits.

I think we have all become far too cavalier about fonts and font beauty and font ownerships...the Internet has made us all blasé and not give a damn about ownerships just as it has done exactly the same with images, image usage and image theft.

Every domestic user, kid, geek or socially responsible IA member, now feels blithely free to use and plunder, plunder, plunder.

I have almost 4,000 accredited fonts...all of them legit...all pukka. I got them off a mate who copied the font disc over to me from his company computer and gave them to me.

Anybody wanna buy a font? Going cheap!

« Last Edit: 02 April, 2014, 07:06:59 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline antonymous

• Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: 28 July, 2014, 05:32:23 PM »
I have Helvetica Lt on my machine - am I lucky or what?

Offline siasl

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: 29 July, 2014, 09:28:09 AM »

I have almost 4,000 accredited fonts...all of them legit...all pukka. I got them off a mate who copied the font disc over to me from his company computer and gave them to me.

Anybody wanna buy a font? Going cheap!
That doesn't sound hugely pukka - did he have a license to redistribute (need to check the T&Cs the company signed when licensing the fonts originally)? Did he have authorisation from the company to sell company resources on? whisl

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: 29 July, 2014, 09:43:53 AM »
That doesn't sound hugely pukka - did he have a license to redistribute (need to check the T&Cs the company signed when licensing the fonts originally)? Did he have authorisation from the company to sell company resources on? whisl

Wot, me, guv? Nah I was just passing by, wern I. Awforisation? Wot's that then when it's at 'ome?
"I live in hope"