!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Where would the wind take you?  (Read 1628 times)

imfeduptoo

Where would the wind take you?
« on: 14 February, 2014, 09:30:54 AM »
If you set sail from Port Gentil, Gabon, and drifted with no engine, whereabouts on the American coast would you land?

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: Where would the wind take you?
« Reply #1 on: 14 February, 2014, 10:15:03 AM »
Could you let us know what time of year you were planning to set yourself adrift in the South Atlantic?

I am guessing a bit here...The Trade Winds predominantly blow you westward but will have a lot to say as to whether you end up being blown into the path of the North Atlantic Gyre or whether the Southern Atlantic Gyre nabs you first.

These gyres (gyratories) are vast circular moving Atlantic currents - the North one moves clockwise and the South Gyre is anti-clock. There are pictures of them in the link below.

Depending on time of year you could end up anywhere on a three or four thousand mile stretch between Cuba in the north and Cape Horn in the extreme south...

Most likely you'd drift into Brazil, Argentina or the Falklands (on the South Gyre)...and, on a really, really bad day, you could end up saying hello to the penguins in the Antarctic.

This link shows the gyres you'll be drifting on or into...plus it explains them a bit...it has more than one page...

http://www.i-cool.org/?p=4916

Now we need Seacommander to get out his charts and trusty calipers....
« Last Edit: 14 February, 2014, 10:31:22 AM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

imfeduptoo

« Reply #2 on: 14 February, 2014, 10:53:11 AM »
I was thinking of leaving tomorrow at 11.37

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
« Reply #3 on: 14 February, 2014, 05:25:08 PM »
Take off at 11.37 tomorrow...that's AM or is that the dreaded PM?

These Trade Winds are well known for being capricious and starting early.

Satnav's at the ready?
« Last Edit: 14 February, 2014, 05:27:48 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"