!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Based solely on area, which is the largest city in the world?  (Read 1857 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Here's a clue...it covers 102,000 square miles!
"I live in hope"

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
Re: Based solely on area, which is the largest city in the world?
« Reply #1 on: 30 January, 2014, 09:31:36 AM »
My first thought was Shanghai, as it's bliddy huge. Looking it up, and it appears it is a paltry 2,448 sq miles, with its population of 23 million. I can't imagine a city 40 times bigger. My only thought is that the one you have in mind is scattered across many islands of a country, but I can't think of it. Somewhere in the Philippines? Northern Canada?

imfeduptoo

« Reply #2 on: 30 January, 2014, 10:29:19 AM »
The largest city in the world in terms of area is Hulunbuir in Inner Mongolia. The city has an area of 102,000 square miles (263,953 square kilometers).

http://www.wisegeek.com/do-more-people-live-in-the-northern-or-southern-hemisphere.htm

Although it's called a city it's not exactly what one thinks of as a city. It's a prefectural city.

"A prefectural level city is often not a "city" in the usual sense of the term (i.e. a large continuous urban settlement), but instead an administrative unit comprising, typically, a main central urban area (a city in the usual sense, usually with the same name as the prefectural level city), and its much larger surrounding rural area containing many smaller cities, towns and villages. The larger prefectural level cities span over 100 kilometres (62 mi)."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prefecture-level_city

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
« Reply #3 on: 30 January, 2014, 11:34:46 AM »
The largest city in the world in terms of area is Hulunbuir in Inner Mongolia. The city has an area of 102,000 square miles (263,953 square kilometers).

http://www.wisegeek.com/do-more-people-live-in-the-northern-or-southern-hemisphere.htm

Although it's called a city it's not exactly what one thinks of as a city. It's a prefectural city.

"A prefectural level city is often not a "city" in the usual sense of the term (i.e. a large continuous urban settlement), but instead an administrative unit comprising, typically, a main central urban area (a city in the usual sense, usually with the same name as the prefectural level city), and its much larger surrounding rural area containing many smaller cities, towns and villages. The larger prefectural level cities span over 100 kilometres (62 mi)."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prefecture-level_city

Go to the top of the class, Mrs Too! It's a funny thing about prefectural cities...but they count as cities and the granddaddy of them all is indeed Hulunbuir in downtown Inner Mongolia.

By the same yardstick, Oslo (with about the same population as Bristol but with bobble hats) is, by area, one of the largest cities in Europe.

Strange but true.

Congratulations again.
"I live in hope"