!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: What's the origin of "pinch and a punch"?  (Read 5626 times)

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Vice Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 114
  • -Receive: 65
  • Helpfulness: 110
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
What's the origin of "pinch and a punch"?
« on: 01 May, 2009, 12:34:07 PM »
...for the first of the month.

I got zapped today by my wife - consider yourselves all pinched & punched (gently), too :D

Offline jacquesdor

• Founder member.
  • Founder
  • Student - A Level
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 8
  • Helpfulness: 19
Re: What's the origin of "pinch and a punch"?
« Reply #1 on: 01 May, 2009, 03:42:20 PM »
It seems the origin of this is unknown, but the following is a theory that I find very believable.
As president, George Washington met local Indian tribes on the first day of each month, when he would supply fruit punch with added (a pinch?) salt. It became known as "pinch and punch on the first of the month" - Crazy Americans. But who invented "a kick and a hit for being so quick"?

Anyway, you can't get me, I said White Rabbits.

Karla

« Reply #2 on: 01 August, 2012, 07:10:27 PM »
A pinch and a punch for the first of the month: Originating from old England times when people thought that witches existed. People thought that salt would make a witch weak, so the pinch part is pinching of the salt, and the punch part was to banish the witch. The witch would be weak from the salt so the punch was to banish her.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • Founder
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 106
  • Helpfulness: 157
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
« Reply #3 on: 02 August, 2012, 06:34:02 PM »
I agree totally with Karla (hello by the way Karla...nice to see you popping in. Hope you can stay).

The whole 'pinch punch first day of the month' thing has extra traditions.

In far-flung Scandinavia we used to say 'Pernilla!' on the first day of the month and that was all about finding the almond in your porridge. Daft but nice tradition if you were a kid.

And then there's the saying 'rabbit, rabbit, rabbit' tradition between kids in Engalnd.

Good ol' Wiki says...

"Rabbit rabbit rabbit" is one variant of a common British superstition which states that a person should say or repeat the word "rabbit" or "rabbits", or say the phrase "white rabbits", or some combination of these elements, out loud upon waking on the first day of the month, because doing so will ensure good luck for the duration of that month. Today, it is a frequent tradition in many English-speaking countries."

Never heard of it myself when I was a kid...we were far too busy pinching ang punching each other.

Offline Hiheels

• Founder member, in the naughty corner for smoking in the café.
  • Administrator
  • Vice Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 48
  • Helpfulness: 112
  • Yes, yes, very nice. Now put it away.
« Reply #4 on: 03 August, 2012, 08:12:08 AM »
I'm with JD, white rabbits is the way forward (are the way forward), especially after making sure that "black rabbits" is the last thing you say the night before.