!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Who do you think is the more worthy Nobel Laureate?  (Read 1617 times)

Offline antonymous

• Perpendicular Galileo Galilei
  • Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 133
  • Helpfulness: 168
  • "We're all bankers now!"
    • Antonymous2011 Flickr Page
Who do you think is the more worthy Nobel Laureate?
« on: 22 November, 2013, 10:14:16 AM »
Peter Ware Higgs, CH, FRS, FRSE (born 29 May 1929) is a British theoretical physicist, Nobel Prize laureate and emeritus professor at the University of Edinburgh.[2]
He is best known for his 1960s proposal of broken symmetry in electroweak theory, explaining the origin of mass of elementary particles in general and of the W and Z bosons in particular.

OR

Frederick Sanger, OM, CH, CBE, FRS, FAA /ˈsæŋər/ (13 August 1918 – 19 November 2013) was a British biochemist who won the Nobel Prize for Chemistry twice, the only person to have done so. In 1958 he was awarded a Nobel Prize in chemistry "for his work on the structure of proteins, especially that of insulin". In 1980, Walter Gilbert and Sanger shared half of the chemistry prize "for their contributions concerning the determination of base sequences in nucleic acids". The other half was awarded to Paul Berg "for his fundamental studies of the biochemistry of nucleic acids, with particular regard to recombinant DNA".[1] Sanger was the fourth person to have been awarded two Nobel Prizes, either individually or in tandem with others.
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Sometimes it'svice versa"

imfeduptoo

Re: Who do you think is the more worthy Nobel Laureate?
« Reply #1 on: 22 November, 2013, 10:30:22 AM »
Frederick Sanger definitely.
I  have no idea what the benefits of "the origin of mass of elementary particles in general and of the W and Z bosons in particular"  are with regard to the wellbeing of the mass population and the world in general, or if there are any, so I may be wrong, but Frederick Sanger's work seems to be a lot more useful.
The Sanger Centre, not far from where I live gave employment to lots of people who lost their jobs when our company collapsed so I may be a bit biased.
« Last Edit: 22 November, 2013, 10:32:27 AM by imfeduptoo »

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
« Reply #2 on: 10 December, 2013, 07:34:06 AM »
What does a Nobel Laureate actually do?
"I live in hope"

Offline Arellia

• Student - GCSE
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 12
  • Helpfulness: 32
« Reply #3 on: 19 December, 2013, 07:04:36 PM »
Not a fair comparison as one is for physics and one is for chemistry. They are in separate categories, same with physiology, literature or economics.
As for what they do - winning it generally means that they would be invited far more than usual to give talks in conferences, universities etc. For a lot of the retired ones it would generally mean a lot of this with a bit of advising etc in their fields. For a lot of the younger ones it still means research as usual.

Offline seacommander

• Founder member.
  • Founder
  • Archimedes
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 63
  • Helpfulness: 87
« Reply #4 on: 19 December, 2013, 11:11:30 PM »
Sanger without a shadow of doubt IMO. In terms of the benefits that a large proportion of us may well be grateful for, the ability to sequence DNA will have a significant impact on our ability to treat diseases such as cancer. Already, the genes involved in an increasing number of cancers are being identified and this will be a fundamental part of being able to personalise cancer treatments according to the many sub-types of cancer that occur within each type of cancer such such as breast, lung and colon.

Offline Funrunna

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 0
  • Helpfulness: 0
« Reply #5 on: 05 May, 2014, 04:12:59 PM »
From a purely practical perspective. Frederick Sanger without a doubt. Those who's endeavours actually benefit their fellows. Should not be pitted against theorists who in truth, are no more worthy of acclaim than you or I?

The hadron project is a black hole sucking valuable resources from projects that can produce 'real' world benefits.

Partical physics is based on if only's, maybe's and buts, with the eternal promise. That 'they' are perpetually always 'this close' ensures that a yet bigger collider will be built... The world has gone mad!

Just my oppinion, of course.