!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Apropos Norwegian food!  (Read 1922 times)

Offline antonymous

• Perpendicular Galileo Galilei
  • Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 133
  • Helpfulness: 168
  • "We're all bankers now!"
    • Antonymous2011 Flickr Page
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Sometimes it'svice versa"

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
Re: Apropos Norwegian food!
« Reply #1 on: 20 November, 2013, 04:08:49 PM »
Thankfully, those two folks did not get a good selection of Norwegian goodies to try and if this means there is more for me (and, presumably, P-K), then that is a good thing.

Delicious treats from Norsky:
Lohengrin, Mandelstang, Kvikk Lunsj, Dent (although I'm not a follower of the salted version), liquorice boats (Skipper Lakrisbåter), Laban Seigmenn, plus various boiled sweets in various flavours that are yummy indeed.

In addition, paprika or dill crisps are rather scrummy and available in abundance. Their beer can be rather tasty, too (although ale-only fans need not bother for the most part). Aquavit is nice, but an acquired taste. Soft-drink fans can opt for Solo, an excellent orangeade.
Pølse on flat-bread is an excellent snack on the go (not restaurant fare, I admit).

But then you can get elk & reindeer meat over there, and it is truly delicious. That could certainly make a good base for a menu. Add to that the excellent fishy-stuff on offer and you should be able to scrape together a reasonable menu for a restaurant.

On the dessert side of things, there are lots of interesting fruits to be had, my favourite of which has to be cloudberries and red-currants, followed by blue-berries. So that's the healthy side of the dessert menu covered. On the other hand, the various chocolates on offer open up a variety of opportunities for decadence, and my gt-aunty (RIP) made a really excellent caramel pudding which I would happily contribute to the menu :)

I suppose you could make a cheese board with gammelost and geitost, but the gammelost may put a few people off..

Xmas biccies should also make the menu

OTOH, the rumours of the west coast-ians enjoying the delicacy of whole sheep's head might not be everyone's cup of tea... And the less said about lutefisk and rakefisk the better.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
« Reply #2 on: 07 December, 2013, 12:51:42 PM »
I only saw your post just now Siasl and sadly the video in Ant's link is flagged up as 'No longer available'. Fy faen! Would have liked to have seen it.

I agree with your food list of likes, Siasl...right down to not liking salty Dents either!

One thing I would add to your list is that all Brits, if they like hot dogs, really ought to do as many Norwegians (and me) do when ordering a hot dog in Norway.

And that is to elbow that soggy white bun completely and ask for a 'Polse med Lompe' instead...pronounced(ish) 'pearl-seh mer lermper' .

For any IA members not lucky enough to have been born with a silver ski pole in their mouth, I will explain...'Polse' (with one of those dinky Nordic diagonal lines through the 'o') is the sausage...'med' means 'with'... while the 'Lompe' is a cross between a thick pancake and a very very thin soft scone made of potato flour that you wrap round the sausage.

It sounds like a really weird combination to many English people but, believe me, it is really delicious if you like it.

With Britain's present craze for eating 'wraps' with everything it's nice to know that the Vikings got there a thousand years ago! As usual.
« Last Edit: 10 December, 2013, 07:31:01 AM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
« Reply #3 on: 09 December, 2013, 09:48:55 AM »
"Lompe" - that's the word I was looking for, thanks P-K. Soft of like a squished potato farl, but yummy with a Norsky hotdog in it