!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: How many "national quisine" restaurants do you know?  (Read 2202 times)

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
How many "national quisine" restaurants do you know?
« on: 20 November, 2013, 12:50:53 PM »
E.g., I know where my local Chinese & Indian are, I've been to a rather good restaurant that catered to the London population of Iraqi's a while ago. There's a rather good Nepalese place nearby, and I think I can point my finger at a French place in Cheltenham, and also a Thai place.

How many national quisines are represented in the restaurant population of Great Britain?

One for P-K - where's your local Norwegian restaurant (and the Swedish meatballs at Ikea don't count!)?

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: How many "national quisine" restaurants do you know?
« Reply #1 on: 20 November, 2013, 01:23:20 PM »
Ah Norwegian restaurants...if only, Siasl. If only. Most go by the umbrella description of 'Scandinavian' restaurants.

There are about five of those in London...but they're probably thinner on the ground oop North and in the Shires.

The reason for this Nordic reticence about opening a purely Norwegian restaurant may be that it is probably tough attracting flocks of cash-rich punters to a restaurant dedicated to Fricasse of Gammelost with endless potatoes. Nah, can't be that, can it, Siasl?

On the subject of other nationality cuisines... there is a Moorish (very!) restaurant, an African and a decent Moroccan restaurant in Brighton along with all the other usual suspects.

And there's a very interesting Polish restaurant called Baltica (with a combined Polish pottery on site, natch) just down the road from me in Lewes. Great food and you can buy the dinky spotty tea-pot! Their coffee knocks Starbucks' frappe latte dippy doodahs into the hedge.

Detour to this TripAdvisor link for a sneak preview of this Polish gem...

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186275-d2645691-Reviews-Baltica-Lewes_East_Sussex_England.html 
« Last Edit: 20 November, 2013, 01:37:17 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline antonymous

• Perpendicular Galileo Galilei
  • Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 133
  • Helpfulness: 168
  • "We're all bankers now!"
    • Antonymous2011 Flickr Page
« Reply #2 on: 20 November, 2013, 01:28:00 PM »
An interesting use of the letter Q which is rather the runt of the litter in the English language.
However you wish to spell cuisine I am rather partial to a nice Indian (although most of the 'Indian' restaurants are actually Bangladeshi run) I have become a fan of the Cafe Rouge chain, my local one has an ambience which I find most pleasing, and the food is top quality French.
I have tried the newly opened Ghurka Village restaurant - but was not overly impressed with the food.
There are several cafes run by Iranians nearby but they are small and the food is pretty run of the mill. There is another small cafe run by some Poles but I havent ventured in there yet.
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Sometimes it'svice versa"

Offline siasl

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: 20 November, 2013, 01:39:05 PM »
Ah well, so much for my spelling abilities today.

Interestingly, the Nepalese I have been known to frequent is also the Ghurka Village - but in a different location. The lamb choila is simply superb

Offline antonymous

• Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: 20 November, 2013, 01:43:36 PM »
Ah well, so much for my spelling abilities today.

Interestingly, the Nepalese I have been known to frequent is also the Ghurka Village - but in a different location. The lamb choila is simply superb

Yes -  it is a chain of restaurants ( I've seen a couple in different places) - I think they owe their existence to the number of ex-Ghurka soldiers who have settled here at the end of their service. i obviously chose the wrong dish  :(
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Sometimes it'svice versa"

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: 20 November, 2013, 01:55:24 PM »
An interesting use of the letter Q which is rather the runt of the litter in the English language.......

....There are several cafes run by Iranians nearby but they are small and the food is pretty run of the mill. There is another small cafe run by some Poles but I havent ventured in there yet.

Pot...Le Cruset, eh Ant? wve
« Last Edit: 20 November, 2013, 02:03:27 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline siasl

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: 20 November, 2013, 01:56:42 PM »
I'm not sure it's a chain as they are separate companies and not part of a group.

The one in Swindon that I visit is not in the most salubrious of areas, though.

Offline antonymous

• Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: 20 November, 2013, 02:02:31 PM »
I'm not sure it's a chain as they are separate companies and not part of a group.

The one in Swindon that I visit is not in the most salubrious of areas, though.

The one here is in a former pub which was renowned for the huge meals it dished up.
I based the chain idea on the fact that their signage is identical on each one I've seen.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: 20 November, 2013, 02:08:00 PM »
Could Ghurka Village be a franchise operation? Separate establishments contracting to a set model but not linked under one central management holding company?

Haven't got one here in Lewes. Must ask Joanna Lumley next time she comes round for my Yak Supreme.
"I live in hope"

Offline antonymous

• Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: 20 November, 2013, 02:22:38 PM »
Could Ghurka Village be a franchise operation? Separate establishments contracting to a set model but not linked under one central management holding company?

Haven't got one here in Lewes. Must ask Joanna Lumley next time she comes round for my Yak Supreme.

Oh yes almost certainly a franchise - that would account for the signage issue.