!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: What's the record price for an Adolf Hitler painting?  (Read 2846 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
What's the record price for an Adolf Hitler painting?
« on: 06 November, 2013, 09:51:54 PM »
I've just been looking at a load of Hitler's paintings...surprisingly I don't think they are too bad, about the level of a decent amateur village art club but definitely he wasn't a bad draughtsman. But a great artist? Nope. Wouldn't buy one myself.

More to the point, I can't remember ever hearing of anyone ever buying Hitler's art at auction so I wondered...do they ever come up for sale?

What kind of prices do they fetch? And what's the auction record price?
"I live in hope"

imfeduptoo

Re: What's the record price for an Adolf Hitler painting?
« Reply #1 on: 12 November, 2013, 10:22:04 AM »
I gave up on this one because I couldn't actually find the answer.
Just found this which shows the kind of prices Hitler's work fetches.

"In 2009 auction house Mullock's of Shropshire sold 15 of Hitler’s paintings for a total of $120,000,[9] while Ludlow’s of Shropshire sold 13 works for over €100,000.[10] In a 2012 auction in Slovakia, an individual painting fetched $42,300.[11]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paintings_by_Adolf_Hitler#Auction_sales

Below is a list of other Hitler memorabilia that came up for sale.

http://luxedb.com/most-expensive-adolf-hitler-memorabilia-sold-at-auction/

In the link, the following bit is in the wrong place - should be under the Champagne section.
"some of the bottles in Hitler’s collection were injected with cyanide through the corks. So the person who shelled out over $2,000 for it will certainly never taste the contents."

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: 12 November, 2013, 11:04:46 AM »
That's quite a range of prices, Mrs Too...doing the currency conversions, that's 15 of Hitler’s paintings for an average of just £5,040 each at Mullock's of Shropshire compared to 13 works for a far healthier average of £6,493 each at Ludlow’s of Shropshire.

I say those are decent prices for any Sunday painter's pictures.

But...a whopping five times as much (for the equivalent of £24,600) for a pic at the 2012 auction in Slovakia? (Must have been painted on one of Adolf's better days.)

Most of all though I think it is very strange and slightly disturbing that the UK sales you quoted are both in Shropshire...why such a rampant interest for works by loveable old Adolphus (that's his real baptised name on his birth certificate) Hitler's paintings in our very own sleepy Shropshire?

Is Shropshire a noted BNP hotbed?
« Last Edit: 12 November, 2013, 03:38:02 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

imfeduptoo

« Reply #3 on: 12 November, 2013, 01:23:41 PM »
The plot thickens!

Adolf Hitler's plans for British base in Shropshire10 December 2012 Last updated at 01:19 GMT

Nazi documents suggest Adolf Hitler planned to make his personal headquarters in Shropshire if he had successfully invaded Britain during World War II.

Historians think he considered Shropshire as the ideal base because it was located in the centre of the country with excellent rail and communication links.

The historical maps illustrate how the Nazis had earmarked Bridgnorth as a town they wanted to move into as a potential base.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20592917

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: 19 November, 2013, 11:53:27 AM »
Y'know, at heart, Adolph was probably just a Shropshire lad. I can just imagine sitting him in his Bridgnorth bunker humming AE Houseman's immortal words over breakfast "From Clee to heaven the bacon burns,
The shires have seen it plain,
From north and south the sign returns
And the bacon burns again. "

« Last Edit: 19 November, 2013, 11:55:23 AM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline antonymous

• Perpendicular Galileo Galilei
  • Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 133
  • Helpfulness: 168
  • "We're all bankers now!"
    • Antonymous2011 Flickr Page
« Reply #5 on: 19 November, 2013, 05:04:04 PM »
Y'know, at heart, Adolph was probably just a Shropshire lad. I can just imagine sitting him in his Bridgnorth bunker humming AE Houseman's immortal words over breakfast "From Clee to heaven the bacon burns,
The shires have seen it plain,
From north and south the sign returns
And the bacon burns again. "

He'd of been a lot happier in Ludlow - there's a lovely little cafe in the market square.
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Sometimes it'svice versa"