!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: At seventeen quid for a 325g bottle, what's so great about this Maniquette Peper  (Read 2142 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
And they can't even spell Pepper correctly!

Maniquette Pepper is supposed to Maniguette pepper (aka Grains of Paradise) is supposedly gathered from a reed-like plant and has a fresh, warm, piquant taste. So say the manufacturers anyway.

It is a frequently used spice in the Moroccan kitchen and can be used whole or ground. Suitable for vegetarian and vegan diets. Allergen free. Whoooo! That's about the only thing that is free with this stuff.

Has anybody used it? I like Moroccan food but I puke at the thought of shelling out £17 (less a massive 5p) for 325g of something as ordinary as pepper.

Pepper is pepper is pepper, isn't it? Has anybody tried it? What's so special about this 'peper' that it has a gold-dust price?
"I live in hope"

Offline antonymous

• Perpendicular Galileo Galilei
  • Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 133
  • Helpfulness: 168
  • "We're all bankers now!"
    • Antonymous2011 Flickr Page
Problem solved - get to the garden centre and buy some Aframomum melegueta (it is a species in the ginger family, Zingiberaceae) and grow your own.

" This spice, commonly known as Grains of Paradise, Melegueta pepper, alligator pepper, Guinea grains, fom wisa, or Guinea pepper, is obtained from the ground seeds; it gives a pungent, peppery flavour with hints of citrus." wiki

« Last Edit: 16 September, 2013, 02:55:57 PM by antonymous »
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Sometimes it'svice versa"

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Sorry Ant but I only just spotted your fine answer! Am reading the link now and have just got to the bit about Aframomum melegueta's aphrodisiac and testosterone boosting properties . Hang on. Mrs P-K just came in. Will have to get back to you. Please excuse the shaky typing.
"I live in hope"