!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: How do you pronounce 'Mojave' as in Mojave Desert?  (Read 920 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • Founder
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
  • Helpfulness: 156
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
How do you pronounce 'Mojave' as in Mojave Desert?
« on: 31 August, 2013, 06:40:14 PM »
I've often wondered every time a corpse cropped up in the Mojave Desert in a crime novel but it didn't matter before. Now I'd like to know.

I found out, by chance, how to pronounce Sepulveda (as in Sepulveda Blvd) like an Angelino.

Time now for the 'Mojave'.

Anybody know how it should be pronounced...English style or Spanish style? Or either?

Offline imfeduptoo

• Founder member.
  • Newsletter writer
  • Leonardo DaVinci
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 43
  • -Receive: 74
  • Helpfulness: 97
Re: How do you pronounce 'Mojave' as in Mojave Desert?
« Reply #1 on: 31 August, 2013, 08:19:13 PM »
It says here - http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mojave - to pronounce it 'moh-hah-vee'.
As you probably know J is pronounced H in spanish.

I haven't tried out this site - http://www.pronouncehow.com/english/mojave_pronunciation- but it seems that you can hear how to pronounce it on here.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • Founder
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: 31 August, 2013, 09:32:54 PM »
Thanks for the links Mrs T...Once I'd remembered to switch my speakers on, your second link did indeed vocalise the pronunciation...and it surprised me.

Whereas your first link recommended 'moh-hah-vee' (which from my A Level Spanish days I too would have said) your second link, the audio one, pronounced it 'Mo-jev' with accent firmly on the first syllable and the 'e' in 'jev' slightly long and flat...and no enunciation of the 'e' in 'Mojave' at all.

I am in a serious pickle now...just how do private eyes in America pronounce it? That is really what I want to know.

I've just tried a quick flip around a few pronunciation sites and landed on one called www.forvo.com which baffled me totally because, when I keyed in 'pronunciation Mojave'   it offered me this: 'Pronunciations for as useful as a bus pass in the Mojave in Romanian'.

I don't know about Romanian but it's a great new phrase in English that something is about "as useful as a bus pass in the Mojave" and one I'll no doubt be merrily trotting out in the future.

But I can't trot it out until can pronounce 'Mojave' correctly, can I? I'd be laughed straight out of the Brewers Arms.

So I tried forvo.com again and this time it just wittered on about Sotheby's (2 pronunciations), Martha's Vineyard (5 pronunciations) and Alzheimer's (17 pronunciations) instead.

So I am no closer to being able to mutter 'Mojave' correctly out of the corner of my mouth like Mickey Spillane.

« Last Edit: 31 August, 2013, 09:35:42 PM by P-Kasso2 »

Offline imfeduptoo

• Founder member.
  • Newsletter writer
  • Leonardo DaVinci
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 43
  • -Receive: 74
  • Helpfulness: 97
« Reply #3 on: 01 September, 2013, 12:28:50 AM »
Sorry about that. Every site that I looked at all said it was pronounced as the first link I gave you, so I would think that's the correct way - and the way most people would pronounce it.

I just found this but would you believe Mojave isn't in it!
http://www.linguistics.ucla.edu/publications/OPL_10.pdf

Mickey Spillane was an anglophile and a very good mimic of the English language so I think in any books written by him you could imagine his characters pronouncing Mojave in a very classy accent!

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • Founder
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: 01 September, 2013, 06:06:37 AM »

In my best Mickey Spillane voice I pronounce it ʌnɪnˈhæbɪtəbəl.