!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Question 1 of 2 about winemaking at home...Elderberries  (Read 800 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Question 1 of 2 about winemaking at home...Elderberries
« on: 05 August, 2013, 03:59:21 PM »
Elderberries are lolling off the branches in my corner of East Sussex and one's thoughts naturally turn lightly to making Elderberry Wine and getting pleasantly pie-eyed in 3 months time.

But (Question One): Is Elderberry with its various Latin names of Sambucus canadens, Sambucus cerulea, Sambucus melanocarpa etc related to whatever it is that goes into this stuff below...?

What does go into Sambuca? Black or traditional White Sambuca? Is it made from Elberries? I thought it was maybe Aniseed or some such?

I don't think I'll try making Sambuca this year as this is only the very first time I've tried making wine* so it's a bit over-optimistic of me to think of cranking gallons of Sambuca (although my sister would love it if I did!).

So, is Sambuca made of Elderberries? If not, why are Elderberries called Sambucus in Latin?

* I have I admit, decades ago in Norway, made Rose Hip Sherry...surprisingly easy (the waiting is the hardest part) and surprisingly strong! One bottle wiped out ten rough and toothless Norskies.
"I live in hope"

Offline Hiheels

• Founder member, in the naughty corner for smoking in the café.
  • Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 123
  • -Receive: 82
  • Helpfulness: 677
  • Yes, yes, very nice. Now put it away.
Re: Question 1 of 2 about winemaking at home...Elderberries
« Reply #1 on: 05 August, 2013, 06:18:48 PM »
Generally casting about on t'internet confirms it is indeed made from elderberries, flavoured with anise (yeuch!) and goes cloudy if you add ice.
This link has some recipes for using it http://www.drinksmixer.com/desc228.html