!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Should IA make it compulsory that all answers must contain a link to the source  (Read 1945 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Should IA make it compulsory that all answers must contain a link to the source of the reference for answers quoting chunks of info from the relevant website?

No reference, no getting your answer posted?

Not having a link for an answer (often quoting a vast chunk from a website) just makes it look like its the answerer's own personal knowledge and makes it impossible to follow up for any further info.

Most IA-ers always cite their source references...but sadly not all do. I've forgotten to do it myself at times too but knowing how much it irks me I always try to quote sources so others can pursue or check my answers further.

If IA is to protect or reinforce its status as a responsible, erudite-ish website, aren't footnoted references a must?

« Last Edit: 13 July, 2013, 08:51:21 AM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline seacommander

• Founder member.
  • Founder
  • Archimedes
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 63
  • Helpfulness: 87
I agree with you P-K in that having a link to a source of information where appropriate and applicable is invaluable. It is also courteous to the 'source/s' to acknowledge them.

I am insure, however, how making it compulsory can be implemented unless the person posting the question/answer makes it clear that external sources of information have been used.

Offline Hiheels

• Founder member, in the naughty corner for smoking in the café.
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 123
  • -Receive: 82
  • Helpfulness: 677
  • Yes, yes, very nice. Now put it away.
The only way to make it compulsory would be to bring in that all posts (rather than just guest posts) have to be given the green light and 'released' by a Mod.
That's OK, but of course is reliant on one of us being around pretty much all the time to keep it all ticking along nicely, should the site ever take off that would be a nightmare!

However, we have recourse, if you take a peek at the site's "Rules and Etiquette" section you'll find this:
Answers
When answering questions, please try to provide the best and most informative answer that you can. Be sure you read the question carefully and in its entirety and that your answer relates to the question. Read the answers already given to a question before you make your own answer. New answers should give additional information or opinion, and should not merely restate that of another member.
Answers (or indeed questions) should not consist purely of material that has been cut and pasted from search result pages or other sites.
Proper links should be given to the work of other people. This extends to anything you post on the site, be it text, videos, photos or images and no matter how you intend to use it here. If it is copyright material and doesn’t belong to you, a link is required to show its origin and to credit its owner with its creation.
No medical counsel should be given when answering questions.
No personal information should be given or asked for in questions or answers, be it e-mail addresses, telephone numbers or postal addresses. Ask the person concerned via private messaging.

I've put the relevant bit in bold.

I'm sorry if we've been remiss in not spotting anyone not putting links, it's something we need to be mindful of as not only can it simply be an annoyance, but there is also the copyright issue, which has to be taken seriously.

At this stage I'll just say please can everyone cite their sources, even if you post text from a page then give the page's URL.
Obviously we can then go on to give warnings etc as the site's rules need to be upheld even with such a small (though vigorous!) membership for all sorts of reasons - hopefully everyone understands that and just bringing this subject up will be enough of a reminder for us all.
Thanks, P-K.

Offline antonymous

• Perpendicular Galileo Galilei
  • Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 133
  • Helpfulness: 168
  • "We're all bankers now!"
    • Antonymous2011 Flickr Page
So there it is in black and white guys - post your sources.

I am not alone in failing to comply with the rule on occasions, but I offer in defence of my omissions that having spent an hour or two reading through tomes of websites to get a comprehensive understanding of a subject, then composing an answer in my own fair hand, it would be irksome to then post 2 or more links as well (even if I could possibly remember them rolls eyes). If I use large chunks of info straight from a particular website I almost invariably indicate the source.
« Last Edit: 13 July, 2013, 12:38:22 PM by antonymous »
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Sometimes it'svice versa"

Offline Hiheels

• Founder member, in the naughty corner for smoking in the café.
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 123
  • -Receive: 82
  • Helpfulness: 677
  • Yes, yes, very nice. Now put it away.
I think it's probably true to say we've all done it, Ant, and P-K has highlighted that us Mods have been remiss as it seems we've missed more than we've caught.
Probably the best way, as I'm sure you would have already thought of, is to keep the tabs open, amalgamate the info into an answer and then just swipe the URLs from each tab just before closing - sorted!

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
So there it is in black and white guys - post your sources.

I am not alone in failing to comply with the rule on occasions, but I offer in defence of my omissions that having spent an hour or two reading through tomes of websites to get a comprehensive understanding of a subject, then composing an answer in my own fair hand, it would be irksome to then post 2 or more links as well (even if I could possibly remember them rolls eyes). If I use large chunks of info straight from a particular website I almost invariably indicate the source.

Hi Ant...I have the same problem when trying to answer a question properly...and I overcome the problem with this following simple wheeze...

I keep Notepad open on my task bar and simply copy the various site refs into Notepad as I go and then when I have waxed lyrical I can just copy the link ref(s) off my Notepad and into IA. A piece of cake.

Without it I'd be stumped.
"I live in hope"