!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: I've just read that Ernest Hemingway was a KGB agent. Can it be true?  (Read 2724 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.

This is all news to me...and I have been a fan of Hemingway's books since I was a spotty teenager. And I've never heard even a peep about this. Is it true...or is this a dastardly CIA conspiracy theory to blacken his name?
« Last Edit: 19 June, 2013, 09:17:13 AM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
Yup - although he doesn't seem to have achieved much spying as Hoover put him on a watch list. He was codenamed Agent Argo and "based on notes from a former KGB officer who was  given access in the 1990s to intelligence archives in Moscow from the Stalin era, the book reveals that Hemingway was recruited in 1941 before making a trip to China"
"In the end, Hemingway turned out to be of little use to the Soviets  however, as it’s claimed he failed to give them any political information and was never “verified in practical work”. "
http://www.messynessychic.com/2013/06/18/10-things-you-probably-didnt-know-about-ernest-hemingway-like-he-was-a-kgb-spy/

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
Yup ...http://www.messynessychic.com/2013/06/18/10-things-you-probably-didnt-know-about-ernest-hemingway-like-he-was-a-kgb-spy/

Well I can't say I am too surprised because there's this famous old google-able photo...

They don't look as though they're just discussing the price of Gillete razors...do they?

And, Siasl, you reckon the intelligence goes back to 1941!

Now that is really astounding!
"I live in hope"

Offline antonymous

• Perpendicular Galileo Galilei
  • Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 133
  • Helpfulness: 168
  • "We're all bankers now!"
    • Antonymous2011 Flickr Page

They don't look as though they're just discussing the price of Gillete razors...do they?

NAW! He's just sucking up to Fidel to replenish his supply of cigars!

My mum used to love them!                                      
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Sometimes it'svice versa"

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You

Ant, did anyone ever mention it but you mum looks spookily like Jimmy Saville!  wve
"I live in hope"

Offline antonymous

• Perpendicular Galileo Galilei
  • Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 133
  • Helpfulness: 168
  • "We're all bankers now!"
    • Antonymous2011 Flickr Page

Ant, did anyone ever mention it but you mum looks spookily like Jimmy Saville!  wve

Well she's been dead 20 years so she doesnt have to worry about the PR side of things! (You can tell which side of the family I  got my genes from)
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Sometimes it'svice versa"