!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: 'Spy Alert'. A banner ad on my screen says '2 people are spying on you' (ie me).  (Read 17924 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • Founder
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 105
  • Helpfulness: 156
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
  • Referrals: 1
Spy Alert is free to use...but is it safe?

http://www.spyalertapp.com/lp_checkshort01.html?itype=P0&pid=627&ts=TS3122&utm_source=Adwords&utm_medium=Display&utm_content=various&utm_campaign=CPN8929

Is it bone fide?

Has anybody used it? Or know any more about it because I don't want to activate it if I am just going to be giving myself problems.

It claims to let you see how many people/sites are 'spying' on you by using cookies to sites you have previously opened.

Has anybody had experience of it or used it?

What do you advise? Ignore it or use it?

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Vice Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 114
  • -Receive: 64
  • Helpfulness: 109
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
  • Referrals: 3
Personally I would ignore any banner ad with such messages and instead rely on recommendations from trusted sites. My first thought was "scam", although the website is new enough not to have picked up much flak.

The website itself is registered via a proxy registrar, so you can't see who owns it, which to me is a suspect flag. It was also first registered at the beginning of the month...

Lastly, a search of the URL seems to indicate that they are spamming it into any forum they can get their hands on in an attempt to get their SEO ratings up.

All I expect the application/program/script does is to scan your internet temp file for tracking cookies, of which there are many out there in the wild, used quite commonly by mainstream websites.

For me, I run Firefox with the Ghostery plugin (blocks all 3rd party cookies) as well as Ad-Block Plus (blocks all adverts). Periodically I'll run CCleaner to tidy things up.

Offline antonymous

• Perpendicular Galileo Galilei
  • Founder
  • Galileo
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 67
  • -Receive: 115
  • Helpfulness: 150
  • "We're all bankers now!"
  • Referrals: 0
Spy Alert is free to use...but is it safe?

http://www.spyalertapp.com/lp_checkshort01.html?itype=P0&pid=627&ts=TS3122&utm_source=Adwords&utm_medium=Display&utm_content=various&utm_campaign=CPN8929

Is it bone fide?

Has anybody used it? Or know any more about it because I don't want to activate it if I am just going to be giving myself problems.

It claims to let you see how many people/sites are 'spying' on you by using cookies to sites you have previously opened.

Has anybody had experience of it or used it?

What do you advise? Ignore it or use it?

I'm curious as to how you got a banner ad up on your screen - what were you looking at when it appeared?
The site appears to originate in Seattle - and operates through a proxy in Arizona.
It is in all possibility a scam of some type but there isnt a lot of feedback anywhere to confirm this.
caveat emptor!
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.
Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • Founder
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
I can't recall where I was on the Net when I first saw this banner on my screen...I was researching something quite legit (honest!).

I cetainly don't get it on my homepage and I have only seen it once in hours of internet flipping around.

So it is a bit of a mystery.

Thanks to the both of you for your detailed digging and advice and for de-mystifying it for me.

If it pops up again I will remember your sound advice and just quietly laugh my socks off at it. Thanks again.

mYRTLE

Hi
This banner appears on Gumtree regularly (top of page).

Online imfeduptoo

• Founder member.
  • Newsletter writer
  • Leonardo DaVinci
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 43
  • -Receive: 73
  • Helpfulness: 96
I had this too and also can't remember what I was looking at at the time.
I was going to post this question too!

Offline antonymous

• Perpendicular Galileo Galilei
  • Founder
  • Galileo
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 67
  • -Receive: 115
  • Helpfulness: 150
  • "We're all bankers now!"
This outfit seems to be genuine -"the website is not blacklisted by trusted security services such as Google SafeBrowsing, ThreatLog and MalwareDomainList. This means the website should be safe to visit and should not be used to distribute malware or trojans."

However:

"The website has a poor vendor reliability score in the WOT (Web of Trust) reputation, this means someone had a bad shopping experience or the website is not reliable for business transactions in general. Generally a poor rating indicates possible fraud."
http://www.scamvoid.com/
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.
Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • Founder
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
Thanks for the follow-up, Ant. Funnily enough, since I first posted my this question about Spy Alert I have never seen it again. I'd completely forgotten about it in fact.

If it had appeared I was just going follow Siasl's advice in his post here on 22 May, 2013, 11:17:58 AM - and that is I was just going to ignore it.

Now if it does pop up again I will know more about it following your post this morning - and I'll just carry on ignoring it.

Thanks everybody who did some digging on this thread.
« Last Edit: 23 October, 2013, 08:45:57 AM by P-Kasso2 »

Brian

I went on the free game from wiki called greopolis, and when I logged off of the game. The advertisement popped up, and it said the same message about "2 people spying on you." It sounds like a hook for access by download to your computer even though it adds at the top that it is protected by Norton. So, Like the other bloggers said, it is probably a scam and they use the same line on me.

Offline bum4evr

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Helpfulness: 0
Its just cookie tracking software that shows you what sites are planting cookies on your PC. They try to make it sound all evil like cookies are "spying" on you but a cookie is just a text file that websites can read. Sometimes I go to amazon and  look at a product and later that day I may visit the cnn site and notice an ad for the exact thing I was looking at earlier, its cookies that make this happen and IMHO its not worth it to install software to keep track of them when you can just delete them manually anyhow if you are so inclined.

besides- on their site it says:
Ad-supported software:
Spy Alert is entirely free to use, but may show advertisements while Spy Alert is installed.

Won't that be fun? More ads.

And would you really trust a company with such a deceptive ad? (2 people are spying on you! See who!)  they make it sound like 2 creepy weirdos are sitting in front of their PC digging up info about you and this software is gonna tell you who it is.

99% of the time, any software you install from an ad you saw on the net will install something you don't want on your PC. (spyware/adware/malware/virus etc...)

Offline siasl

• Administrator
  • Vice Chancellor
  • Thank You
Here is a useful site with information on how to ensure your browser (whichever one you use) only tells websites the bare-minimum:
http://fixtracking.com/

Dtron

i just sor this add  aswell  on this site then found this fourm. i wold allso like to no if it is a scam or virus .im guessing it is. wwwDOTisitdownrightnowDOTcom/outlookDOTcomDOThtml#commentstop

Offline siasl

• Administrator
  • Vice Chancellor
  • Thank You
It is a scam, at best a benign way of trying to sell you a useless tool for your computer. But that software is likely to contain malware of any type...

Armando

Well, I found the banner on top of my Google email inbox. in which case, if it is a scam I am very surprised Google allows such things....

Offline seacommander

• Founder member.
  • Founder
  • Archimedes
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 51
  • Helpfulness: 75
I had this banner too about a week ago when I was on Ebay and as usual with this type of rubbish I just ignored it. It's not appeared again.