!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: How many kilos of cow-food are need to make a kilo of beef?  (Read 2895 times)

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
On average, naturally...

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: How many kilos of cow-food are need to make a kilo of beef?
« Reply #1 on: 14 May, 2013, 10:38:33 AM »
In broad brush, it takes about 6.25 kilos of cattle feed to produce 1 kilo of meat*. Which sounds like an extremely high cost and a lousy rate of return. But there’s even more to add in on top…

Of course, you also have to factor in the high costs of fertiliser, irrigation, transportation, slaughter house fees and all the various processing and retailing costs on top of this raw figure.

The following figures I culled from http://viva.org.uk/guides/feedtheworld.htm a vegetarian website. It says…

“In the US, 157 million tons of cereals, legumes and vegetable protein – all suitable for human consumption – is fed to livestock to produce just 28 million tons of animal protein in the form of meat.”

That is...pay 6.25 to get back 1.

Which means, to a vegetarian, that eating cereals, greens etc direct (without recyling it inefficiently through the processing plant of a cow’s belly) is 6.25 more efficient and cost effective than being a wasteful and eco-unfriendly carnivore.

For me, I’d still rather have the juicy lamb chop rather than a processed nut cutlet…any vegetarian option I want I can always get on the side of the plate in the form of a nice dollop of mint sauce.

* I can’t vouch for the accuracy or un-impeachability of the figures above because vegetarian websites (like other ‘interested and engaged’ campaigning websites may put a spin on the figures yo help promote their chose missionary ambitions.

« Last Edit: 14 May, 2013, 10:41:39 AM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline siasl

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: 14 May, 2013, 11:08:53 AM »
In broad brush, it takes about 6.25 kilos of cattle feed to produce 1 kilo of meat*. Which sounds like an extremely high cost and a lousy rate of return. But there’s even more to add in on top…
<SNIP>
* I can’t vouch for the accuracy or un-impeachability of the figures above because vegetarian websites (like other ‘interested and engaged’ campaigning websites may put a spin on the figures yo help promote their chose missionary ambitions.
The figure I had was even higher (8 kilos), and not from a veggie but instead the UN. Saying that, nothing says that the feed is something that needs to be produced, or is just grass, daisies and buttercups.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: 14 May, 2013, 11:25:08 AM »
The figure I had was even higher (8 kilos), and not from a veggie but instead the UN. Saying that, nothing says that the feed is something that needs to be produced, or is just grass, daisies and buttercups.

8 to 1 eh?

It certainly makes a powerful argument for ditching the meat route...but have you ever actually tasted cow cake, flax oil seed feed?

Fifty times worse than dog biscuits.

No wonder cows make that horrible moaning racket all the time!

Here's a cow cake I made earlier...

As they say, presentation is everything...
"I live in hope"

Offline siasl

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: 14 May, 2013, 11:30:25 AM »

8 to 1 eh?

It certainly makes a powerful argument for ditching the meat route...but have you ever actually tasted cow cake, flax oil seed feed?

Fifty times worse than dog biscuits.

No wonder cows make that horrible moaning racket all the time!

Indeed I have not tasted such delicacies - I wonder what proportion of the 8 kgs is human consumable? Is it all by-product/waste being "recycled"? Or is it farmed via regular agricultural methods - thus using up land that could equally be used to produce human consumable grains or other veggies at a better overall rate of return (of food)?

Offline antonymous

• Perpendicular Galileo Galilei
  • Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 133
  • Helpfulness: 168
  • "We're all bankers now!"
    • Antonymous2011 Flickr Page
« Reply #5 on: 14 May, 2013, 11:45:07 AM »
INSECTS ! Thats the way to go - there was a news item on Al-Jazeera (I think) showing people munching on various invertebrates,pointing out the advantages of consuming a freely available abundant food source that requires no input from man, is easy on the environment, and more nutritional than meat. The presenter rounded off the piece by opening a can of Gypsy Moth caterpillars from  South Africa and rather squeamishly eating one.
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Sometimes it'svice versa"

Offline siasl

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: 14 May, 2013, 11:57:33 AM »
INSECTS ! Thats the way to go - there was a news item on Al-Jazeera (I think) showing people munching on various invertebrates,pointing out the advantages of consuming a freely available abundant food source that requires no input from man, is easy on the environment, and more nutritional than meat. The presenter rounded off the piece by opening a can of Gypsy Moth caterpillars from  South Africa and rather squeamishly eating one.
Indeed - click on my link to the UN source for 8kg of feed and you'll find a report stating that insects are the new foie gras & caviar for the masses.

Offline antonymous

• Perpendicular Galileo Galilei
  • Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 133
  • Helpfulness: 168
  • "We're all bankers now!"
    • Antonymous2011 Flickr Page
« Reply #7 on: 14 May, 2013, 12:02:48 PM »
Indeed - click on my link to the UN source for 8kg of feed and you'll find a report stating that insects are the new foie gras & caviar for the masses.

The video on that linked site is the one I saw on al-Jazeera,
http://www.fao.org/news/audio-video/detail-video/en/?uid=9906

(JUST KEEP ANTS OFF THE LIST _ OK?)
« Last Edit: 14 May, 2013, 12:07:11 PM by antonymous »
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Sometimes it'svice versa"

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: 14 May, 2013, 12:16:19 PM »

Indeed I have not tasted such delicacies - I wonder what proportion of the 8 kgs is human consumable? Is it all by-product/waste being "recycled"? Or is it farmed via regular agricultural methods - thus using up land that could equally be used to produce human consumable grains or other veggies at a better overall rate of return (of food)?

Even Heston Bloominheck'd be hard pushed to whip up a 5 Star main course out of the ingredients for cattle cake!

Some common ingredients are linseed, cottonseed, rapeseed, canola, soy, and molassus (to improve the taste, for one).

According to Wiki, Sorghum is also often bunged in.

In many cases, such as cottonseed cakes, cattle cakes are made from the dry by-products remaining after the cotton seeds have been pressed to obtain their oil.

Now for the good bit (and a red-hot dinner table conversation piece among Friesians munching on the South Downs near me...

During the Second World War, an Allied scheme dubbed Operation Vegetarian planned for an airdrop of five million anthrax-spiked linseed cattle cakes on German pastures, in hopes of hobbling Nazi beef production by as much as 30%.

The plan was eventually scrapped, but not until after the production of more than a million of the cakes, which were ultimately destroyed. (Or sold to Ryvita?)

http://everything2.com/title/cattle+cake

"I live in hope"

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: 14 May, 2013, 12:33:17 PM »
INSECTS ! Thats the way to go - there was a news item on Al-Jazeera....more nutritional than meat.

Insects Ant? Whatever happened to that BIG idea under the Blairite Government where £ Squillions of Lottery revenue was shovelled to South America to aid research and development into the revolutionary new food source that'd solve the shrinking food supply / soaring global population situation?

Blair shovelled money at farming for food these little guys...

Hamsters? Yep. Hamsters.

Apparently chubby little hamsters were hyped as the fast-growing, easily farmed, high protein protein-yielding source of nutritious food of the future.

They were already much snacked on by gourmands in the rainforest. Hamsters taste so good that Hamsters even eat their own offspring!

Big Q: Whatever happened to Tony's ingenious "Subsidise Kevin the Hamster and Save the World"  campaign?
"I live in hope"