!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: A microwave question...  (Read 13739 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
A microwave question...
« on: 09 March, 2013, 01:59:32 PM »

I am a babe in the wood when it comes to using a microwave for anything more complex
than heating up yesterday's leftovers. I'm good at that.

I've got a snazzy microwave but no instruction manual to go with it.

So, big question (and ideally I'd be grateful for an answer before it's time to burn
the sunday roast)...

Can you cook yorkshire puddings in the microwave?

I mean cook yorkshires from scratch aka batter not some of these ready-cooked
supermarket ones, good as they are.

If so, how long should I bop it for? And on what setting?

Preferably for square yorkshire puds simply because I haven't got a microwave-safe
thingywhatsit for doing all those little round ones.

PS My new (well, second hand but in perfect nick) microwave does does have seven different
power settings from 50 right up to 800.
« Last Edit: 09 March, 2013, 02:02:59 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline antonymous

• Perpendicular Galileo Galilei
  • Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 133
  • Helpfulness: 168
  • "We're all bankers now!"
    • Antonymous2011 Flickr Page
Re: A microwave question...
« Reply #1 on: 09 March, 2013, 02:14:47 PM »
As you do not mention anything other than the microwave function in your machine - I'd say no!If like me you had forked out a couple more bob for a decent MW with a grill and fan oven facility - like what I have YES you could and I do.
The cooking actions of convection heat and microwave bopping are very different. Convection cooks from the outside in ( essential to form that lovely crisp outer shell) and MWs cook from the inside out which wont work as far as I can surmise.
However, try it if you wish.
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Sometimes it'svice versa"

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: 09 March, 2013, 02:25:21 PM »
As you do not mention anything other than the microwave function in your machine - I'd say no!If like me you had forked out a couple more bob for a decent MW with a grill and fan oven facility - like what I have YES you could and I do.
The cooking actions of convection heat and microwave bopping are very different. Convection cooks from the outside in ( essential to form that lovely crisp outer shell) and MWs cook from the inside out which wont work as far as I can surmise.
However, try it if you wish.

Oh yes, I do have a grill facility.

Plus some logo squiggles on the dial saying 'Micro' and 'Dual'.

But 'Fan'? Nope.

Is a fan crucial to crispy yorkshire puds in the MW and is the choice for me back to Aunt
Betty's in t'oven for me or face a lifetime of soggy micro'd YPs?
"I live in hope"

Offline antonymous

• Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: 09 March, 2013, 02:29:58 PM »

Oh yes, I do have a grill facility.

Plus some logo squiggles on the dial saying 'Micro' and 'Dual'.

But 'Fan'? Nope.

Is a fan crucial to crispy yorkshire puds in the MW and is the choice for me back to Aunt
Betty's in t'oven for me or face a lifetime of soggy micro'd YPs?

Can you set the temperature as in a conventional oven ?- if not it's doubtful. Its the heat that does the cooking whether fan assisted or not.
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Sometimes it'svice versa"

Offline Duffield1

• Founder member and wannabe deity.
  • Administrator
  • Maria Montessori
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 61
  • -Receive: 36
  • Helpfulness: 67
  • I ain't nothing but a hound dawg...
« Reply #4 on: 09 March, 2013, 04:44:46 PM »
The advice from the Yorkshire contingent is.... don't bother!

Yorkshire Puddings need high direct heat to crisp up, inflate and cook - ideally, some very hot fat.  The fat would explode in the microwave, and anyone who has ever baked cakes in one knows that the cake is wonderfully soft - great for cake, diabolical for Yorkshire puds.

Combo mode will literally turn the grill on whilst microwaving - so you'll end up with soft sponge with a burnt top.

Offline antonymous

• Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: 09 March, 2013, 04:51:32 PM »
The advice from the Yorkshire contingent is.... don't bother!

Yorkshire Puddings need high direct heat to crisp up, inflate and cook - ideally, some very hot fat.  The fat would explode in the microwave, and anyone who has ever baked cakes in one knows that the cake is wonderfully soft - great for cake, diabolical for Yorkshire puds.

Combo mode will literally turn the grill on whilst microwaving - so you'll end up with soft sponge with a burnt top.

Yes - this is exactly what I have been saying. You need the crisp outside to form quickly and inflate as the the moisture inside produces  hot vapours which expand the whole thing.
My microwave runs like a conventional fan assisted oven if this mode is selected and cooks Yorkies OK.
« Last Edit: 09 March, 2013, 04:53:40 PM by antonymous »

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: 09 March, 2013, 10:01:57 PM »
Oh well. It is either I buy or a new microwave (which I won't) or I go back to using my fan assisted regular oven (which I will).

Would've been nice to do the yorkies in the micro but not worth the expense of changing the micro.

I enjoyed reading your posts so thank you chaps. I must say that the ladies have been rather quiet at the back on this subject.
"I live in hope"

Offline Hiheels

• Founder member, in the naughty corner for smoking in the café.
  • Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 123
  • -Receive: 82
  • Helpfulness: 677
  • Yes, yes, very nice. Now put it away.
« Reply #7 on: 09 March, 2013, 10:10:33 PM »
Oh well. It is either I buy or a new microwave (which I won't) or I go back to using my fan assisted regular oven (which I will).

Would've been nice to do the yorkies in the micro but not worth the expense of changing the micro.

I enjoyed reading your posts so thank you chaps. I must say that the ladies have been rather quiet at the back on this subject.

Bless ya, we're not all knitting, kittens and cooking you know.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: 11 March, 2013, 08:54:08 AM »

Or chocolate...
"I live in hope"

Offline Hiheels

• Founder member, in the naughty corner for smoking in the café.
  • Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 123
  • -Receive: 82
  • Helpfulness: 677
  • Yes, yes, very nice. Now put it away.
« Reply #9 on: 11 March, 2013, 12:08:42 PM »

Or chocolate...

Oh no, we're all about the chocolate.