!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Why is Sushi so expensive?  (Read 1832 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Why is Sushi so expensive?
« on: 07 February, 2013, 05:46:54 PM »

Take a look at Sushi. It's pretty, yes. I agree. But it's all raw so there are no expensive gas bills to use as an excuse.

The ingredients (apart from those little bowls of cheapo horseradish dips etc) are really not so different to those used in Korean or Chinese restaurants.

The equipment used is pretty much the same as found in any restaurant (ie sharp knives and plenty of plates).

But the final restaurant bill is two, three, four times higher...or more.

Why?

Is there some blindingly obvious reason I have not taken into account apart, that is, from the proprietor's inscrutable greed?
"I live in hope"

Offline antonymous

• Perpendicular Galileo Galilei
  • Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 133
  • Helpfulness: 168
  • "We're all bankers now!"
    • Antonymous2011 Flickr Page
Re: Why is Sushi so expensive?
« Reply #1 on: 07 February, 2013, 06:01:18 PM »
For the same reason that genuine designer clothes and accessories cost sums I can only fantasize about - they are enhanced by their snob brand value.
Sushi has the exotic and fashionable image that is beloved of the yuppies and jet setters cos it enhances their image.

I'm just off to get some fish and chips - mind you they are no longer the wonderful cheap wholesome meal they once were. "A piece of cod and sixpennyworth of chips" ( and change out of a half crown! - EE ! those were the days!!)
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Sometimes it'svice versa"

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: Why is Sushi so expensive?
« Reply #2 on: 08 February, 2013, 12:38:02 PM »

Above, Sushi chef Ken Kawasumi shows a replica he created of Vincent van Gogh's 'Sunflowers' made entirely of sushi in 2008 to launch his new book 'The most simple way to make decorative sushi-rolls' in Japan.

£27 million for Van Gogh's 'Sunflowers'? Blimey! No wonder Sushi is expensive!
[/b]
"I live in hope"