!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Another horse lasagne question...  (Read 2691 times)

Offline Hiheels

• Founder member, in the naughty corner for smoking in the café.
  • Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 123
  • -Receive: 82
  • Helpfulness: 677
  • Yes, yes, very nice. Now put it away.
Another horse lasagne question...
« on: 08 February, 2013, 11:42:47 AM »
...is all this horse meat in stuff being found as a result of random, standard tests?
In other words are these kinds of tests just routine and finding this latest trend out fairly quickly, or have they been put in place following either a tip off or some reason for suspicion?

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: Another horse lasagne question...
« Reply #1 on: 08 February, 2013, 01:09:56 PM »
I've been wondering that too lately, Heels.

I should guess that someone has blown the whistle...I've no evidence except that the food processing suppliers of all that Donkey Burger meat and all those galloping lasagnas have presumably been supplying this meat to the supermarkets and to Findus and the burger chains for many years.

The Food Standards mob presumably ran regular spot checks then. No problems before, were there? Why suddenly now?

Either...A) a disgruntled employee got put out to pasture or B) (less likely?) new highly sensitive tests have been introduced which far outstrip the accuracy of the old 'standard' tests.

I favour Option A, the disgruntled Vegan whistleblower.

Heels, you may have put your finger on a hidden story within this story which the Press is presumably already sniffing around.
"I live in hope"

Offline antonymous

• Perpendicular Galileo Galilei
  • Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 133
  • Helpfulness: 168
  • "We're all bankers now!"
    • Antonymous2011 Flickr Page
« Reply #2 on: 08 February, 2013, 03:04:55 PM »
I've been wondering that too lately, Heels.

I should guess that someone has blown the whistle...I've no evidence except that the food processing suppliers of all that Donkey Burger meat and all those galloping lasagnas have presumably been supplying this meat to the supermarkets and to Findus and the burger chains for many years.

The Food Standards mob presumably ran regular spot checks then. No problems before, were there? Why suddenly now?

Either...A) a disgruntled employee got put out to pasture or B) (less likely?) new highly sensitive tests have been introduced which far outstrip the accuracy of the old 'standard' tests.

I favour Option A, the disgruntled Vegan whistleblower.

Heels, you may have put your finger on a hidden story within this story which the Press is presumably already sniffing around.

Sorry - but it all came to light when a dog, which had been fed solely on Tesco's bargain beefburgers, won the 3.30 handicap chase at Chepstow a month or so ago!
« Last Edit: 09 February, 2013, 09:41:06 AM by antonymous »
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Sometimes it'svice versa"

Offline seacommander

• Founder member.
  • Founder
  • Archimedes
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 63
  • Helpfulness: 87
« Reply #3 on: 14 February, 2013, 10:32:36 PM »
Don't worry about horse masquerading as beef; I bought some French fish today just to find out that it was Seahorse!!

Offline antonymous

• Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: 14 February, 2013, 10:37:39 PM »
Don't worry about horse masquerading as beef; I bought some French fish today just to find out that it was Seahorse!!
And I had a delicious piece of haddock that was the sweetest fish I ever tasted, deep fried and coated in Panko crumbs. :P
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Sometimes it'svice versa"

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: 15 February, 2013, 08:34:14 AM »

As you are now installed as our resident expert on Panko crumbs, Ant, could you kindly explain to us just how these wily Japanese manage to get flat bread crumbs that don't go soggy like our Western Hemisphere boring old round bread crumbs?

And is it something we could all do at home?
« Last Edit: 15 February, 2013, 08:37:32 AM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline antonymous

• Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: 15 February, 2013, 09:33:03 AM »

As you are now installed as our resident expert on Panko crumbs, Ant, could you kindly explain to us just how these wily Japanese manage to get flat bread crumbs that don't go soggy like our Western Hemisphere boring old round bread crumbs?

And is it something we could all do at home?

I shall be giving a short demonstration on Panko making at the Founders day Jamboree @ http://www.newboldcomynarms.co.uk/ - when all the votes are in for the chosen day which is being polled in the café right now.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: 15 February, 2013, 10:07:15 AM »
Book me a table for two! The Newbold Comyn Arms looks like a very fine pub.

Why the funny name?
"I live in hope"

Offline antonymous

• Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: 15 February, 2013, 10:37:55 AM »
Book me a table for two! The Newbold Comyn Arms looks like a very fine pub.

Why the funny name?
Done. All you need do is cast a vote in the poll to choose the day it will take place.

Comyn is, I believe,  the middle English spelling of COMMON. It is located in a large park which was possibly common land.
« Last Edit: 15 February, 2013, 10:48:21 AM by antonymous »

Dark Matter

« Reply #9 on: 17 March, 2013, 10:55:52 AM »
Last week in Newmarket saw a horse transporter truck bearing the livery "Horses for Courses" True honestly. I wondered if this could be Tesco trying to break into the restaurant business.

Offline seacommander

• Founder member.
  • Founder
  • Archimedes
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 63
  • Helpfulness: 87
« Reply #10 on: 17 March, 2013, 10:59:34 AM »
Could well be DM; I still have strong suspicions about the meat content of Newmarket sausages, however, whatever meat it is, the sausages still taste very nice.
« Last Edit: 17 March, 2013, 11:01:57 AM by seacommander »