!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Do word searches have any educational value?  (Read 5228 times)

Offline Duffield1

• Founder member and wannabe deity.
  • Administrator
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 61
  • -Receive: 34
  • Helpfulness: 65
  • I ain't nothing but a hound dawg...
Do word searches have any educational value?
« on: 17 January, 2013, 07:34:04 PM »
My daughter gets at least one word search to do each week for homework, and I think it is just a waste of time - she learns nothing, it just occupies her for half an hour.  What do you think - worthwhile or waste of time?
« Last Edit: 22 January, 2013, 09:00:47 AM by Duffield1 »

Offline antonymous

• Perpendicular Galileo Galilei
  • Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 133
  • Helpfulness: 168
  • "We're all bankers now!"
    • Antonymous2011 Flickr Page
Re: Do word searches have any educational value?
« Reply #1 on: 17 January, 2013, 08:04:25 PM »
At first thought I was in agreement with you re. a waste of time - BUT- on second thoughts the exercise of recognising word formations is probably a useful one. So many adults I know are hopeless at spelling, and this really stems from not recognising valid or correct groups of letters.
Dyslexia is rampant in this country based on my experiences and this little diversion for your daughter can do no harm - and probably good.
IMHO

« Last Edit: 23 January, 2013, 01:15:41 PM by antonymous »
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Sometimes it'svice versa"

Offline tecspec

• Founder
  • Bachelor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 46
  • -Receive: 26
  • Helpfulness: 39
  • I'm Welsh and proud of it.
    • Soosie Wales
« Reply #2 on: 18 January, 2013, 10:00:22 AM »
I saw your rant about this on FB yesterday. I have to agree that for a geography lesson it is a waste of time. Much better, as you suggested, would be for her to find the towns on a map.
But as Ant says, completing the wordsearches will increase her knowledge of word patterns.

IMHO - schools rely far too much on children educating themselves. I say bring back the teacher at the front and children concentrating on what is being taught.
;-)

Offline Arellia

• Student - GCSE
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 12
  • Helpfulness: 32
« Reply #3 on: 22 January, 2013, 06:50:11 AM »
Saw your message about this on FB too, and personally I think it has to do with the subject matter. While it might help spelling etc, it may be used more for a language class rather than for science or geography or anything else where a word search doesn't add anything to the knowledge of the subject matter.

imfeduptoo

« Reply #4 on: 23 January, 2013, 10:14:01 AM »
Well, actually, I think word searches are useful for any subject.
They help to develop visual perception, scanning techniques and the skill of looking for things in an ordered and systematic way.
In subjects other than English, they can remind children of words/places/people that they may have forgotten and they are also a useful way to pick up on undiagnosed dyslexia.

Offline Arellia

• Student - GCSE
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 12
  • Helpfulness: 32
« Reply #5 on: 24 January, 2013, 02:52:18 AM »
Well, actually, I think word searches are useful for any subject.
They help to develop visual perception, scanning techniques and the skill of looking for things in an ordered and systematic way.
In subjects other than English, they can remind children of words/places/people that they may have forgotten and they are also a useful way to pick up on undiagnosed dyslexia.

While it is true it is useful for different things as you mentioned I don't think it helps in teaching a subject. For example looking for words like "division" "multiplication" "addition" etc is not going to teach a child maths. Similarly looking for countries in a word search will teach them nothing about where they are located or anything about that country - just that it exists. I mean doing the same thing on a world map is still going to teach them the words and places + give them the additional knowledge of geography. When there are so many other interesting types of exercises to do for these kind of subjects I don't see the value of a word search in that context.

Offline seacommander

• Founder member.
  • Founder
  • Archimedes
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 63
  • Helpfulness: 87
« Reply #6 on: 24 January, 2013, 09:08:52 AM »
Just to add my view on this one; anything that has the potential to exercise the brain, vision and indeed imagination, is IMO valuable. Apart from maybe discovering new words, on an individual basis, playing word searches with a partner - something I did some years ago - can be great fun and also demonstrate the values of cooperative working.

w

« Reply #7 on: 02 May, 2017, 06:51:13 PM »
As a principal- word searches are horrible.  They offer little, if anything- and there are dozens of OTHER assignments which are far superior. "a screwdriver might drive in a nail, but it would be better to use a hammer."

Any teacher that tries to use them in our school will be reprimanded.  Those waifs on this thread defending word searches are rebarbative.

Offline Hiheels

• Founder member, in the naughty corner for smoking in the café.
  • Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 123
  • -Receive: 82
  • Helpfulness: 677
  • Yes, yes, very nice. Now put it away.
« Reply #8 on: 03 May, 2017, 02:20:20 PM »
Au contraire they are most preposessing.

Anything that folk enjoy that is legal has value, whether that enjoyment is understood or shared by others really doesn't matter, luckily we each don't have to please the other.

Offline AaronDieKs

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Helpfulness: 0
Do word searches have any educational value
« Reply #9 on: 09 September, 2017, 11:22:08 PM »
Doesn the French system encourage childbirth... no benefits at all for just one. More you have more you get...

I thought University was free? Not that I bothered.