!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: A broad bean question that is rather important...  (Read 1802 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
A broad bean question that is rather important...
« on: 30 May, 2012, 05:15:12 PM »
Broad beans going great, flowering like demons...unlike everything else which has refused point blank to germinate in my (admittedly unheated) greenhouse conservatory this Spring. Boo, hiss.

Anyway, broad beans are looking great...next thing is the squadrons of black fly flying in from Morocco or wherever.

Does anybody have personal experience of dead-easy, cheapo, cupboard-under-the-sink, anti-black fly potions that really work and can save me an arm and two legs instead of coughing up another £9.99 at bliddy Wyvale's?
"I live in hope"

Offline seacommander

• Founder member.
  • Founder
  • Archimedes
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 63
  • Helpfulness: 87
Re: A broad bean question that is rather important...
« Reply #1 on: 30 May, 2012, 10:25:40 PM »
Drown the little devils - when allowed to use a hosepipe, I 'jet wash' them off each day. In these days of a hosepipe ban; in my area at least, I will resort to the time honoured tradition of a weak detergent solution. In one fell swoop it washes the blighters off and also because of the low surface tension the water cascades down their spiracles and drowns them. Neither of these methods have any degree of longevity of action but are cheap.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: 31 May, 2012, 07:23:42 AM »
Hi SC...I'd never heard of the jet-spray method...but it sounds pretty efficient. Too bad we're in the depth of the hosepipe ban with nosy (or perhaps concerned is a better word) neighbours.

I've heard of the dish-washing liquid ever since being a kid. It was my father's favourite genocide weapon in those idyllic days before pesticides of mass destuction.

My father always used to say as he wielded his concoction of Fairy Liquid "Kills the blighters stone dead but it's a lovely finish".

The old ways are often the best ways.

"I live in hope"

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: 01 June, 2012, 01:25:21 PM »
I've just been told that to control black fly, pinch the tips off.

Pinch the tips off? Does this really work?

Does it mean the tip off the top of the plant or pinch the tips off the flowering parts?

And won't that mean no crop or a much reduced crop later this summer?

I am going down the Fairy Liquid path so far...and wondering what to do next. Any tips?
"I live in hope"

Offline Hiheels

• Founder member, in the naughty corner for smoking in the café.
  • Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 123
  • -Receive: 82
  • Helpfulness: 677
  • Yes, yes, very nice. Now put it away.
« Reply #4 on: 01 June, 2012, 01:40:54 PM »
I didn't wade in before as I didn't have personal experience - still don't, but with regard to pinching out it seems it's a common practice - there's a thread on it here http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/grapevine/vegging-out/when-do-i-need-pinch-out-broad-beans-avoid-blackfly_56460.html and post 8 onwards gets to the nitty gritty of what to pinch where.

Offline tecspec

• Founder
  • Bachelor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 47
  • -Receive: 26
  • Helpfulness: 39
  • I'm Welsh and proud of it.
    • Soosie Wales
« Reply #5 on: 02 June, 2012, 06:13:15 PM »
Plant some french marigolds amoungst the beans. Apparently the little blighters hate the smell.
;-)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: 03 June, 2012, 08:43:14 AM »
Thanks for the tips Heels and Tec...I am now a fully paid up black fly assassin.

Heels thanks for your link...cleared a lot up in my mind and the site is worth favouriting not just for its broad bean content.

And Tec...had heard of the marigold trick but haven't got any marigold seeds (yet). I've heard that marigolds around carrots also keeps the carrot flies away...apparently the smell of the marigolds diguises the smell of the carrots...sort of camouflages it...so the carrot flies buzz off somewhere else.

Was told yesterday that Nasturtiums (which I really like) can also be planted at the ends of the broad beans rows as they act like a sacrificial crop...black fly like nasturtiums too so they zero in on those, chew them to pieces and leave your broad beans alone.

I tell you, it is murder in the garden.

"I live in hope"