!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Whats the first signs of having an addiction to something?  (Read 1202 times)

Offline allaboutthestars

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Helpfulness: 0
Whats the first signs of having an addiction to something?
« on: 10 February, 2012, 03:13:28 PM »
What are the signs you have an addiction to something?

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
Re: Whats the first signs of having an addiction to something?
« Reply #1 on: 10 February, 2012, 03:16:45 PM »
Some of the common symptoms of addiction are:

Tolerance - the need to engage in the addictive behaviour more and more to get the desired effect
    Withdrawal happens when the person does not take the substance or engage in the activity, and they experience unpleasant symptoms, which are often the opposite of the effects of the addictive behaviour
    Difficulty cutting down or controlling the addictive behaviour
    Social, occupational or recreational activities becoming more focused around the addiction, and important social and occupational roles being jeopardized
    The person becoming preoccupied with the addiction, spending a lot of time on planning, engaging in, and recovering from the addictive behaviour

Signs of Addiction

Symptoms can only be experienced by the person with the addiction, whereas signs can be observed by other people. You can never know what someone else is experiencing unless they tell you, so if you are concerned that someone else may have an addiction, look for signs as well as for symptoms.

You might see some signs in an addicted person but not others. These are signs which occur across many -- but not necessarily all -- addictions:

Extreme mood changes – happy, sad, excited, anxious, etc
    Sleeping a lot more or less than usual, or at different times of day or night
    Changes in energy – unexpectedly and extremely tired or energetic
    Weight loss or weight gain
    Unexpected and persistent coughs or sniffles
    Seeming unwell at certain times, and better at other times
    Pupils of the eyes seeming smaller or larger than usual

Secretiveness
    Lying
    Stealing
    Financially unpredictable, perhaps having large amounts of cash at times but no money at all at other times
    Changes in social groups, new and unusual friends, odd cell-phone conversations
    Repeated unexplained outings, often with a sense of urgency
    Drug paraphernalia such as unusual pipes, cigarette papers, small weighing scales, etc
    “Stashes” of drugs, often in small plastic, paper or foil packages

Caution

Most of the signs of addiction have other explanations. For example, someone can be secretive because they are planning a birthday surprise for a friend. People can have changes of energy for numerous reasons, health related and otherwise. They can make new friendships and end old ones for many reasons other than addictions.

Most of the signs of addiction are similar to normal teenage behavior. Unfortunately, teenagers are one of the groups most vulnerable to addiction. Parents who are concerned about their teenage child should be very careful when discussing addiction with a teenager.

Be cautious about jumping to conclusions. Unless you have found drugs or drug paraphernalia, or have some other obvious evidence of an addiction, it is likely there is another explanation. However, do not be naïve if you have found drugs or drug paraphernalia, as you may end up with legal problems if you do not address the situation.

The most important factor in finding out whether someone has an addiction or not is trust. Trust needs to be earned, so try to be supportive. A confrontation with someone with an addiction is likely to just lead to denial and rejection from the addicted person.

http://addictions.about.com/od/howaddictionhappens/a/symptomslist.htm

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
« Reply #2 on: 13 February, 2012, 03:08:32 PM »
I think Siasl has said it all but would just like to add my little bit.

As the question related to what are 'the first signs of addiction' (my italics) I think these first signs are usually having your addiction begin to affect your life* while steadfastly refusing to admit or even see that there is a problem.

It is the 'not admitting that there is a problem' that turns a social laugh into an addiction.

As Whitney Houston said "I don't have an addiction, I just have a habit that be controlled".

RIP and sad thoughts fine lady.

* ie starts to affect your job, your relationships, your future.

"I live in hope"

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
« Reply #3 on: 13 February, 2012, 03:59:54 PM »
I think Siasl has said copy/pasted it all but would just like to add my little bit.
Fixed that for you :)