!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Too many rules/laws  (Read 1563 times)

Offline allaboutthestars

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Helpfulness: 0
Too many rules/laws
« on: 07 February, 2012, 01:44:45 AM »
There seems to be more new laws/rules everyday ! Surely this is not healthy for people, and infact will have a negative impact and most likely cause the complete opposite to what the law/rule intended ? For example only being able to smoke in private places, now thinking whether should be allowed go smoke in car..fair enough smoking in confined spaces is not very nice, but surely people will rebel and as a result do what they like even more so ? Being told what you can do in your own car almost is like treating people as a puppet they will want to gain control back.
« Last Edit: 07 February, 2012, 01:46:44 AM by allaboutthestars »

Offline antonymous

• Perpendicular Galileo Galilei
  • Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 133
  • Helpfulness: 168
  • "We're all bankers now!"
    • Antonymous2011 Flickr Page
Re: Too many rules/laws
« Reply #1 on: 07 February, 2012, 07:30:38 AM »
"There seems to be more new laws/rules everyday !"
Tony Blair's government  created more than 3,000 new criminal offences during its nine-year tenure, one for almost every day it was  in power.
Are we such a 'bad' nation? Or is it simply that  MP's feel the need to justify their existence?

Sorry to answer your query with two more questions.

In Europe (with the exception of the three tiny Baltic Republics, Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia) England has the highest percentage of it's population locked up in prison at  141/100,000 of  population.
Some would argue that that is not enough! But really is it necessary to keep making new laws for trivial changes in public behaviour - I think not!

« Last Edit: 07 February, 2012, 10:10:42 AM by antonymous »
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Sometimes it'svice versa"

Dark Matter

« Reply #2 on: 08 February, 2012, 01:50:59 PM »
Quite agree - the more laws we have the greater the difficulty of enforcement becomes. Too many laws are a reflection of a weak government which is reactive not proactive.

imfeduptoo

« Reply #3 on: 08 February, 2012, 02:11:18 PM »
You're right, Stars. My reaction to any trivial new rules and regulations is to say, 'What a load of rubbish, I shall carry on the same as before'.
Although forbidding smoking in a public place is perfectly reasonable - except that I think there should be a law to provide people with somewhere to smoke in comfort and warmth, if they wish to, rather than standing outside buildings looking like outcasts - I believe 'they' are going too far if smoking in one's own car is forbidden. (Unless there are children in the car.)
Yes, 'they' are trying to turn us into non-thinking puppets because that makes them more powerful.
It's much easier to control a flock of sheep than a bunch of tigers!

Dark Matter

« Reply #4 on: 08 February, 2012, 06:26:43 PM »
Quite agree. I am not a sheep and no lord is my shepherd.

Wumpus

« Reply #5 on: 13 February, 2012, 10:55:53 PM »
You only need one law - "Behave yourself!"

L.Frank Baum.