!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Why do people all want to be clones, copy one another  (Read 1538 times)

Offline allaboutthestars

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Helpfulness: 0
Why do people all want to be clones, copy one another
« on: 07 February, 2012, 01:22:17 AM »
Why are people as time goes on becoming more afraid of being original, instead want to follow the crowd ? Are they too busy chasing the dream of being a clone of someone else, that they dont see the whole world is open for them to be as original as they like and do what they like,instead of the same as everyone?
« Last Edit: 07 February, 2012, 01:26:36 AM by allaboutthestars »

Offline Hiheels

• Founder member, in the naughty corner for smoking in the café.
  • Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 123
  • -Receive: 82
  • Helpfulness: 677
  • Yes, yes, very nice. Now put it away.
Re: Why do people all want to be clones, copy one another
« Reply #1 on: 07 February, 2012, 08:10:53 AM »
It's a shame isn't it.
We're a pack animal and to stand out, though, takes courage...however, I think many people stand out if others would only really look.

Dark Matter

« Reply #2 on: 07 February, 2012, 09:34:22 AM »
It's because most people are thickos.

imfeduptoo

« Reply #3 on: 07 February, 2012, 10:03:26 AM »
I'm don't really think that people are becoming more afraid of being original.
I believe that young people always have had a fear of being different. but as they grow older and their personality develops they become more confident and develop their own styles.
When I was growing up, in prehistoric times, most young people followed the crowd because that was the easiest way to be accepted by one's peers and most of us didn't see many people being different.
It took a lot of courage and a strong personality to break from the norm, but now it's much more acceptable.
It seems to me to be easier now to be different, such as wearing 'weird' clothes and hairstyles, and if someone has the courage to be different they often become role models.
Years ago, when all women dressed in a classic style, all striving to look elegantly the same, if one broke from the norm they would be 'looked down on', but now I think anything goes.
Nowadays, with the availability of fashion magazines and TV, the high profile of celebrities who are often distinctly different from the crowd is making it much more acceptable to be different.

Offline seacommander

• Founder member.
  • Founder
  • Archimedes
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 63
  • Helpfulness: 87
« Reply #4 on: 07 February, 2012, 10:34:06 AM »
It seems to me to be easier now to be different, such as wearing 'weird' clothes and hairstyles, and if someone has the courage to be different they often become role models.
Years ago, when all women dressed in a classic style, all striving to look elegantly the same, if one broke from the norm they would be 'looked down on', but now I think anything goes.
Nowadays, with the availability of fashion magazines and TV, the high profile of celebrities who are often distinctly different from the crowd is making it much more acceptable to be different.

I think you have concentrated very much on clothes rather than 'The Person'. We are constantly reminded of the enormous pressure young people  (in particular females) feel under to emulate so called role models they see in the self same fashion magazines etc that you mention. There seems to be incredible pressure on body image which in extreme circumstances results in a whole range of psychologically based disorders. Although not so much in evidence nowadays, there was the striving at all costs to be 'size zero'.

The spate of TV based body image programmes has done absolutely nothing to dispel the notion that there is an acceptable range of body image/clothing combination that one shouldn't step outside of. Gok Wan admitted himself that he probably has a lot to answer for in causing distress in some people.

As a fellow prehistoric specimen I just don't remember such emphasis being placed on body image - yes people wanted to look their best and perhaps did model themselves to some extent on what they saw in magazines, but nowadays it's all so false and potentially unachievable because of the airbrush - you can airbrush out imperfections on a picture but unfortunately it just doesn't work on a human body.

Dark Matter

« Reply #5 on: 08 February, 2012, 01:37:26 PM »
People who really matter always have the urge to break with conformity and often enjoy the process of shocking the establishment. Thus the Beatles turned music on its head in the early 60s. Flower power and the ascendancy of feminism is another example. The early impressionists outraged the art world at the time. Darwen provoked a venomous response from the church. I could go on all day.
Innovators are by nature nonconformists and are the only people who really shape history. Without them history would just be shaped by a series of accidental events.
« Last Edit: 08 February, 2012, 01:51:56 PM by Dark Matter »