!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: The legalities of 'vaping'  (Read 2401 times)

Offline Hiheels

• Founder member, in the naughty corner for smoking in the café.
  • Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 123
  • -Receive: 82
  • Helpfulness: 677
  • Yes, yes, very nice. Now put it away.
The legalities of 'vaping'
« on: 07 February, 2012, 10:25:38 AM »
I've recently given up smoking and taken up vaping - or using an electronic cigarette in other words.
What, if any, are the rules and regs on doing it indoors? (Public indoors I mean).

Offline antonymous

• Perpendicular Galileo Galilei
  • Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 133
  • Helpfulness: 168
  • "We're all bankers now!"
    • Antonymous2011 Flickr Page
Re: The legalities of 'vaping'
« Reply #1 on: 07 February, 2012, 10:37:08 AM »
The law  covering the smoking ban in the UK refers to tobacco/ or any combustible material based products, such as herbal mixtures. Electronic cigarettes do not have any tobacco in them, and no substance is burned in the process of using the electronic cigarette.

The law passed enforcing the smoking ban is the Health Act, 2006. This Act banned the use of tobacco and other combustible based cigarettes in public places including the work place.

In the context of Part 1 of the Act 'smoking' means to smoke tobacco or any other substance or mixture which can be smoked. This subsection further clarifies that a person is to be taken as smoking if the person holds or is otherwise in possession or control of lit tobacco or any other lit substance or mixture which can be smoked.
 The operative word being "lit".
« Last Edit: 07 February, 2012, 10:44:30 AM by antonymous »
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Sometimes it'svice versa"

Offline Hiheels

• Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: 07 February, 2012, 10:52:31 AM »
How marvellous!

I have to say I can recommend it - no 'real' cigs since last Friday and I've not machine-gunned anyone yet  Joy

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
« Reply #3 on: 07 February, 2012, 10:53:52 AM »
Ryanair cheerfully flog electronic cigarettes for consumption on their planes, so it must be legit.

Offline antonymous

• Perpendicular Galileo Galilei
  • Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 133
  • Helpfulness: 168
  • "We're all bankers now!"
    • Antonymous2011 Flickr Page
« Reply #4 on: 07 February, 2012, 10:59:07 AM »
How marvellous!

I have to say I can recommend it - no 'real' cigs since last Friday and I've not machine-gunned anyone yet  Joy
Early days yet ! Where did you get the machine-gun anyway? ???
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Sometimes it'svice versa"

Offline Hiheels

• Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: 07 February, 2012, 11:54:04 AM »
True, but when I gave up before I think the murderous intent came to the fore before three days - we'll see, but so far so good.

...and from a machine-gun shop of course!

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
« Reply #6 on: 07 February, 2012, 03:16:11 PM »
Even in the Brewers Arms, an otherwise civilised refuge from this zany world, the owners prefer people not to 'smoke' electronic ciggies because it can upset the well-behaved and nicotine-deprived clientelle who have just been standing outside in a snow drift in minus 5 degrees while the smug electronic puffer is still happily in the bar by the fire.

So I think there is a moral duty, if not a legally enforced duty to have a care for others who haven't got an electronic snout and who are really gasping for a 'real thing'.

It'd be a bit like zooming into a vegan restaurant with a blood red T Bone Steak dripping gore and scoffing it in front of the customers only to confess (much) later that it was actually cunningly made of mung beans.
"I live in hope"

Offline Hiheels

• Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: 07 February, 2012, 03:38:50 PM »
I must say I do still go outside here at work - it's a good reason to have a few minutes away from phones and a computer screen.