!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: 新年快樂 ! Kung hoi fat choi!  (Read 3988 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: 新年快樂 ! Kung hoi fat choi!
« Reply #15 on: 24 January, 2012, 11:58:16 AM »
....However, at age 10 my parents decided that I needed to spend more time indoors, where they could keep an eye on me, and bought me the 8 volume "Childrens Book of Knowledge" with instructions that I read it "or else!".

I never found out what the "else" was as I read those volumes cover to cover and back again. Which is why, as an 11 y.o. grammar school boy, I could amaze my friends with knowledge of things they didnt even know existed, but failed to impress my teachers when it came to mundane matters such as mathematics, and few other subjects (notably Religious Studies - in one exam my teacher informed the whole class that I had achieved the lowest mark in the subject he had ever seen and made me sit it again in detention!) 8)

Parallel worlds, parallel punishments!

I actually thank my Dad deeply for his unique sense of the punishment fitting the crime. I didn't then, of course, but soon we were having a great time sitting by the fireside chucking chestnut shells and words around like a pair of giggling mates.

I should add though that first he dragged, actually frog-marched, a wailing, very tearful me off to the local police station with horrendous tales of Borstal and Dickensian jails and just what thieves like me could expect to face in his book...then, as we got to the police steps, he said "Well, should I give you a second chance? Give me one good reason" .

I gave him about fifty in three seconds flat!

And it was sitting down flipping through this vast 1926 etymological dictionary he'd bought me for the occasion that I trace back my love of words to. (Lovely drop of grammar there!) He followed that up with all ten volumns of Arthur Mee's Childrens Encyclopaedia. Great stuff for a five year old.

He never did find out though, that when I was fourteen, I hopped the wag for a whole year. That was a great year...I didn't hang out in snooker halls drinking beer but strolled round London visitting museums and galleries educating myself.

Like you, my maths ability suffered drastically (ie died in agony). When I finally swanned back to school a year later as though nothing had happened I realised with horror that when I'd left we had all been happily converting fractions into decimals.

When I got back it was all strange things called sines and cosines and other things called quadratic equations and outlandish mathematical squiggles on the blackboard that looked like early Lower Nile Valley hieroglyphics to me.

So, no hope of ever catching up in maths unless I confessed I'd been truanting for a year..and I wasn't going to put my hands up to that.

As people who know me now will quickly tell you, I am quite good at counting my change but everything else mathematical is a pea-souper to me. But other subjects went fine.

My motto then was, and still is, Never Let Your Studies Interfere With Your Education.

Works a treat.
« Last Edit: 24 January, 2012, 12:01:22 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"