!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Does salad cream go off?  (Read 2311 times)

Offline imfeduptoo

• Founder member.
  • Newsletter writer
  • Leonardo DaVinci
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 77
  • Helpfulness: 100
Does salad cream go off?
« on: 30 November, 2011, 10:31:46 PM »
I rarely use salad cream - just when I make a boiled egg, and chives sandwich - so it could be months after opening the bottle that I finish it.
I noticed today that the storage directions say that it should be used within three weeks of opening.
I've never seen any sign that there is anything wrong with it no matter how long it lasts.
Can it really go off?

Offline seacommander

• Founder member.
  • Founder
  • Archimedes
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 52
  • Helpfulness: 76
Re: Does salad cream go off?
« Reply #1 on: 30 November, 2011, 10:43:24 PM »
In my experience I have found that salad cream keeps far longer than 3 weeks if well refrigerated. I can't ever remember throwing a part used bottle away. I suspect that the vinegar helps preserve it. I think sandwich spread contains salad cream and that certainly goes off - but I suspect that is down to all the vegetable pieces in it.

This site suggests that salad dressing (not quite the same I know) can keep up to 9 months once opened and refrigerated.

http://www.organizeyourlife.org/expiration.htm

Another site suggests 3 months for salad dressing

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/yf/foods/fn579-1.htm
« Last Edit: 30 November, 2011, 10:48:14 PM by seacommander »

Offline antonymous

• Perpendicular Galileo Galilei
  • Founder
  • Galileo
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 120
  • Helpfulness: 155
  • "We're all bankers now!"
« Reply #2 on: 30 November, 2011, 10:51:25 PM »
The fact that you have consumed the out of date product without ill-effects (or rather this is implicit in your post) in the past is probably the best answer to your question, presuming it tasted ok.
I would think that the high percentage of vinegar in this concoction will create a highly acidic environment which should deter any bacterial or other microbial activity - which is, after all, the whole purpose of pickling things - to preserve them.

“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.
Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”

Offline Dark Matter

• Student - Level 3
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 8
  • Helpfulness: 11
« Reply #3 on: 01 December, 2011, 05:07:02 PM »
It tastes terrible when it's fresh so I wouldn't be able to tell if it had gone off.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • Founder
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 107
  • Helpfulness: 158
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
« Reply #4 on: 01 December, 2011, 05:37:13 PM »
http://www.mediastorehouse.com/image/advert_salad_cream_1932_613387.jpg

I dunno, Dark Matter. Tastes terrible? Mrs P-K loves the stuff and sits there with her favourite sarny...especially on her midnight rambles to the fridge and sculpts vast sarnies of pickled beetroot slices and lashings of salad cream dripping down her chin.

I have tried to reason with her. I really have tried. I have sung the praises of 'proper' mayonnaise.  Real actual mayonnaise. Even brought her real Hellman's Mayonnaise back from the States.

All she says is "Yes but didn't you tell me that when you were a student you practically lived on salad cream sandwiches?"

Ah, fair cop. All too true I reply...you get a doorstop of the unhealthiest white bread you can find. Shovel loads of salad cream onto it. Top it with another unhealthy doorstop. That is it. Dribbles down your forearms a bit but...Absolutely brilliant.

Salad cream never stood a chance of reaching its 'sell by date' when I was on the scavenge and doesn't now when Mrs P-K is having one of her midnight snack attacks.

I still occasionally succumb and raid Mrs P-K's salad cream when she is out. Deja vu never tasted so sweet!

Now just don't get me started on the shelf life of Piccalili....