!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Is it more important to lead a happy life or a meaningful one?  (Read 3466 times)

Offline Sandra Piddock

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
  • Helpfulness: 1
  • Growing old disgracefully
Re: Is it more important to lead a happy life or a meaningful one?
« Reply #15 on: 05 February, 2012, 10:02:32 AM »
I think happiness and meaning can certainly coexist. While of course I'm not happy about some of the things that happen in the world, it won't make them stop happening if I'm miserable because of it. I think that's a big problem today - people latch on to things that really have nothing to do with them in order to 'feel someone else's pain.' The truth is, we cannot feel the pain of another unless we have been through the same experience, and even then our pain is probably different to theirs, as each individual has different ways of experiencing and coping with crises.

I'm not sure I buy into the concept of people being born with problems because of deeds in a previous existence. That said, I do believe that 'what goes around, comes around,' and that people don't really get away with evil, so it's part of the same principle - just a different way of looking at it.

I am happy most of the time, and I certainly consider my life has meaning. While I don't go around tub-thumping to save the habitat of the lesser spotted whatever, or trying to single-handedly stop a war in a country I've never heard of and whose name I can't even pronounce, I will do what I can within the bounds of practicality to ease the problems of others. In addition, I would never willingly add to another person's troubles.

I quite like who I am, although I know I could use improvement, but then none of us are perfect, so it's silly to strive for perfection.
Live every day as if it's your last on Earth - one day, you will be right!

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: Is it more important to lead a happy life or a meaningful one?
« Reply #16 on: 05 February, 2012, 11:14:29 AM »
I was going to add something to these answers but...then I thought what a lovely well-balanced lot you all are so I'll just shut up and be glad that not everyone is a selfish numpty.
"I live in hope"