!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Cucumber tasting 'fishy'.  (Read 17492 times)

Offline seacommander

• Founder member.
  • Founder
  • Archimedes
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 63
  • Helpfulness: 87
Cucumber tasting 'fishy'.
« on: 10 October, 2011, 07:25:56 PM »
What would make cucumber taste fishy? I had long believed that it may have been due to something like a fish based fertilizer, however, I have noticed recently that what can start off as a lovely sweet tasting cucumber can begin to taste fishy after a few days. In all other respects the cucumbers appear fresh and firm.

Offline antonymous

• Perpendicular Galileo Galilei
  • Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 133
  • Helpfulness: 168
  • "We're all bankers now!"
    • Antonymous2011 Flickr Page
Re: Cucumber tasting 'fishy'.
« Reply #1 on: 10 October, 2011, 08:01:05 PM »
Are you sure they are not sea Cucumbers?
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Sometimes it'svice versa"

Offline seacommander

• Founder member.
  • Founder
  • Archimedes
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: 10 October, 2011, 08:36:21 PM »
Definitely not Ant because then they would taste salty!!!

Offline antonymous

• Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: 10 October, 2011, 08:42:10 PM »
oh! well that puts me in my plaice i suppose.
Could it be salmon ella d'you suppose?
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Sometimes it'svice versa"

Offline seacommander

• Founder member.
  • Founder
  • Archimedes
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: 10 October, 2011, 08:48:34 PM »
oh! well that puts me in my plaice i suppose.
Could it be salmon ella d'you suppose?
You've given me an idea Ant - I don't think it was old Salmon Ella but maybe her friend Ruby Murray will know.

Offline macavity

• Founder member.
  • Founder
  • Student - AS Level
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
  • Helpfulness: 13
    • props fashions
« Reply #5 on: 12 October, 2011, 08:34:03 AM »
Cucumbers are mainly made up of water. So if you are keeping it in the fridge and you have some fish or fish based product in there the cross contamination can occur to it. One used to be able to get a fridge freshener (do not know if you can get them now though) which neaturlised the various smells.

imfeduptoo

« Reply #6 on: 12 October, 2011, 09:26:09 AM »
Ive never noticed that cucumber tastes fishy and I found the idea of it so unusual that I've asked all my friends if they have had the same experience.
None of them have and I can't find anything on the web from anyone asking the same question.
I wondered if it might be some kind of reaction of your tastebuds to cucumber, but if they start off by tasting nice then it probably isn't.
As you know, I'm a connoiseur of cucumbers, I get given about three home grown ones every week and have never experienced them tasting fishy.
If the one I gave you also tasted fishy then it has to be caused by something stored in the fridge with the cucumber or maybe touching it after you've been making one of your famous fish pies. Did you use it to stir the mixture?
Perhaps it would be cheaper for you to make your fish pies with cucumber instead of fish as they taste of it?

Offline antonymous

• Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: 12 October, 2011, 09:30:03 AM »
Perhaps it would be cheaper for you to make your fish pies with cucumber instead of fish as they taste of it?
Mmmmmmmm! Deep fried battered cucumber - now there's a thought. Probably taste better than what they dish up at the local chippy!!

Offline seacommander

• Founder member.
  • Founder
  • Archimedes
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: 12 October, 2011, 04:17:22 PM »
Thanks everybody for your mixture of witty and serious reponses - I do love the variety of response we sometimes get here.
To Mrs Too - next time the cucumber tastes 'fishy' I'll dash over to your place with it or you and Mr Too can pop round to mine for a tasting session. I'll lay on some nice fish and chips from our local excellent chippy as a control.

imfeduptoo

« Reply #9 on: 12 October, 2011, 07:27:10 PM »
Thanks everybody for your mixture of witty and serious reponses - I do love the variety of response we sometimes get here.
To Mrs Too - next time the cucumber tastes 'fishy' I'll dash over to your place with it or you and Mr Too can pop round to mine for a tasting session. I'll lay on some nice fish and chips from our local excellent chippy as a control.

No thanks - I don't like the idea of cucumber tasting fishy - especially as I don't know why it does!!
I'll just take your word for it.
I suggest that next time you have a cucumber that you keep it wrapped up in cling film in the fridge so that it shouldn't absorb anything from other foods, or eat it all in one go.

arne

« Reply #10 on: 20 November, 2011, 09:11:00 PM »
i also experience cucumber fishy taste, a lot! so does my wife. funny is that organic, expensive cucumbers tend to taste less fishy. i just bought a ‘regular‘ cucumber from tesco, awful. might just as well have eaten some caviar salad. or prawn cocktail. (would have been nice if that‘s what i expect to taste...)

Offline seacommander

• Founder member.
  • Founder
  • Archimedes
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: 20 November, 2011, 09:50:30 PM »
Thanks for this arne - I was beginning to think that it was only me and she who must be obeyed that have experienced this taste. I'm still not closer to finding out why they taste fishy/odd.

Offline antonymous

• Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: 20 November, 2011, 10:11:55 PM »
Thanks for this arne - I was beginning to think that it was only me and she who must be obeyed that have experienced this taste. I'm still not closer to finding out why they taste fishy/odd.

For once I'm serious - no really - maybe they fertilize the cucumber plants with fish and bone meal?

Offline seacommander

• Founder member.
  • Founder
  • Archimedes
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: 21 November, 2011, 06:57:44 AM »
I believe you Ant, don't worry.
Yes, it was a thought that had crossed my mind but have been unable to find a reference to this effect - but that doesn't mean it isn't a distinct possibility. I am sure that years ago I read that fish meal fertiliser can impart a fishy taste to tomatoes.

Offline antonymous

• Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: 21 November, 2011, 08:00:40 AM »
I believe you Ant, don't worry.
Yes, it was a thought that had crossed my mind but have been unable to find a reference to this effect - but that doesn't mean it isn't a distinct possibility. I am sure that years ago I read that fish meal fertiliser can impart a fishy taste to tomatoes.

"Cultivating Cucumbers:

Once cucumbers start growing they must have a constant supply of soil moisture. If it is lacking, the plants stop growth in a "holding position" until there is more soil moisture. It is therefore important to grow cucumbers near a water supply. Keep weeds down with shallow cultivation or by growing the vines on black plastic mulch. Or mulch rows heavily with straw, salt hay, grass clippings, or partially rotted compost. When the plants are about 4 inches high, add a high-nitrogen fertilizer such as blood meal or cottonseed meal, or water the plants with fish emulsion. Avoid stepping on vines as they develop."
http://www.veggieharvest.com/Vegetable-Growing-Information/Cucumber-Growing-and-Harvest-Information/

I wonder??
The last sentence in that piece makes me laugh! "Gosh I would never have thought of that -  trhr"
« Last Edit: 21 November, 2011, 09:48:07 AM by antonymous »