!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Packaging for fruit drinks  (Read 2617 times)

Offline seacommander

• Founder member.
  • Founder
  • Archimedes
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 63
  • Helpfulness: 87
Packaging for fruit drinks
« on: 16 September, 2011, 10:59:35 AM »
Whilst waiting to be served in the canteen the other day I noticed that one  company was bottling some fruit drink flavours in plastic bottles and others in glass. Apart from the material used, the packaging, labelling and volume of drink were identical. Is there a technical, chemical etc reason for this?

Offline Hiheels

• Founder member, in the naughty corner for smoking in the café.
  • Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 123
  • -Receive: 82
  • Helpfulness: 677
  • Yes, yes, very nice. Now put it away.
Re: Packaging for fruit drinks
« Reply #1 on: 16 September, 2011, 11:01:38 AM »
Do you remember which flavours were in which?

Offline seacommander

• Founder member.
  • Founder
  • Archimedes
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: 16 September, 2011, 12:05:17 PM »
I was frightened that somebody would ask that. I'll try to remember to look on Monday - but remembering is becoming increasingly difficult!!

Offline Hiheels

• Founder member, in the naughty corner for smoking in the café.
  • Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 123
  • -Receive: 82
  • Helpfulness: 677
  • Yes, yes, very nice. Now put it away.
« Reply #3 on: 16 September, 2011, 02:39:42 PM »
Hehehe, I know that feeling!

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
« Reply #4 on: 21 September, 2011, 06:44:50 AM »
I remember (vaguely) having wondered about this myself about a year or so ago and found a site which answered this question from an eco/financial point of view.

Maybe Witz can pinpoint the more precise ‘technical / health implications / chemical reactions’ considerations of packaging for certain types of juices in more detail.

I did discover that, surprisingly to me at least, the much vaunted advantages of ‘eco-friendly’ glass over ‘nasty’ plastics are maybe over-exaggerated.

I have just dug up the site again and the link is… http://www.greenoptions.com

While it is a site with the whole of ‘green alternatives and the environment’ as its remit, the site has a lot to say in particular on the specific subject of glass v plastic packaging. Its conclusion is that glass isn’t all it is cracked up to be. The exact page link is below…

http://www.greenoptions.com/wiki/glass-vs-plastic-packaging

To save you the slog of actually looking it up yourselves, in (very) brief it says…

Glass consumes nearly 3 times more energy than plastic.
Glass produces nearly 3 times more air pollution.
Glass creates nearly 3 times more global warming gases.
Glass produces 40% more environmental waste release than plastic.

There is acres more info plus academically reputable research into the question by the Carnegie Mellon University Green Design Institute (2007).

Plus a readable and not over-technical analysis of one form of plastic packaging over another.
The site is well worth a wander round in its entirety.

« Last Edit: 21 September, 2011, 08:14:32 AM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline AtMyWitzEnd

• February 2011 prize-quiz winner.
  • Pythagoras
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
  • Helpfulness: 84
« Reply #5 on: 21 September, 2011, 05:48:22 PM »
Its probably just practical. They possibly had a line filling one type of packaging and installed a second, using glass instead of plastic because its "greener" or plastic instead of glass as it is cheaper or the opposite (see PK's response). Maybe even filling some on a different site. It might be that business is booming for that brand and they had some flavours contract-filled by somebody else who used the different packaging material.

This packaaging has been a bit of a yo-yo. A while ago everyone was going over to glass because it was greener (because they were returnable and reusable). Then the "carbon footprint" became Lord of the inane and one-way plastic became the tree-huggers package of choice. Then plastics were despoiled by the possibility of Bisphenols leaching into the product and turning us all into ladies ... it could just depend on which period a new line or plant was installed.

There could also be technical reasons. Non-carbonated juices for example need to be air tight as they oxidise (that's techospeak for go mouldy). A lot of plastic containers are permeable to air unless they are sprayed with lacquer inside or out.

Most likely though they were just filled in different places and came together through the wonder of cash-and-carry distribution.

Personally, I'd recommend sticking to aluminium cans ... they're better for you and the environment!

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: 21 September, 2011, 08:34:13 PM »
I didn't realise it was all so complicated!

From now on I think I'll stick to cardboard tetrapacks...unless
anyone has a downer on those too...
"I live in hope"

Offline AtMyWitzEnd

• February 2011 prize-quiz winner.
  • Pythagoras
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
  • Helpfulness: 84
« Reply #7 on: 22 September, 2011, 01:57:30 AM »
I didn't realise it was all so complicated!

From now on I think I'll stick to cardboard tetrapacks...unless
anyone has a downer on those too...
Recycling nightmare! Don't believe their publicity about how "green" they are. Multilayer laminates are always going to be difficult.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: 22 September, 2011, 06:48:38 AM »
Recycling nightmare! Don't believe their publicity about how "green" they are. Multilayer laminates are always going to be difficult.

Witz, here's a bit of sideline but I almost fell for Tetrapak's sales pitch way back in 1975 when I was Art  Director at Young & Rubicam advertising agency in Oslo, Norway.

A Swedish guy pitched to us trying to drum up business using little interlocking, buildable plastic Smurfs on Tetrapaks for one of our soft drinks clients.

Big business opportunity he said.

I'd never even heard of Smurfs let alone Tetrapaks. Now I feel like the man who turned down the Beatles.

After I’d laughed at his suggestion and showed him out I saw Tetrapaks and blue Smurfs everywhere I went.

Still don't like Smurfs and the weird thing is that the guy who came to see me looked an awful lot like Hans Rausing. Not one of my better business decisions!
« Last Edit: 22 September, 2011, 06:51:33 AM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline seacommander

• Founder member.
  • Founder
  • Archimedes
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: 22 September, 2011, 07:28:54 AM »
Thanks Witzy for the info and you PK for the link. I'm still trying to remember to make a note of the flavours and whether carbonated or not in the different bottles to see if there is a quality issue that determines the packaging type.