!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: You've all seen these 'H' for Fire Hydrant signs, but what are these ones with  (Read 37037 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
You've all seen these 'H for Fire Hydrant' signs (see oic below), but what are these ones with SV on them that are in a couple of the streets around where I live?

Sorry, I haven't got a pic of it but it is just like the H signs...except that while it is the same size and shape as a Fire Hydrant sign it has a large bold SV on it with (in this case) a figure 4 above the SV and a figure 8 below it.

If the numbers are like on most Hydrant signs then it means that a 4 inch diameter pipe is 8 feet from the sign... X marks the spot, so to speak. Probably for council workmen or firemen in a hurry?

And sure enough there is a metal inspection type cover 8 feet from the sign. But no more clues as to what on earth an SV is.

I should add that where I live is pretty rural, not at all urban or industrial so I can't believe SV would stand for Steam Valve.

So does anyone have any idea what an SV is? Or should I wait to ask a passing fireman?

« Last Edit: 11 August, 2011, 07:47:02 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

athy59

S.V. actually means Safety Valve.
I cant remember why the numbers, i was told by an ex boyfriend, who was a Leading fireman at Heathrow airport. Think it could mean Saftey valve number 8 ect.
Hope this helps.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
S.V. actually means Safety Valve.
I cant remember why the numbers, i was told by an ex boyfriend, who was a Leading fireman at Heathrow airport. Think it could mean Saftey valve number 8 ect.
Hope this helps.

Sorry but I am not to sure if your ex was right, Athy. I've asked a couple of tech minded people if it meant Safety Valve and they unanimously said definitely no. Why would a rural little road need a safety valve...safety from what? Marauding sheep? Low flying high-pressure cow pats? Killer squirrels?

The Valve part seems to be right but the 'S' isn't Safety anymore than its is Steam. Maybe others have another idea...
"I live in hope"

imfeduptoo

On this link it appears to be Sluice Valve -

http://81.29.77.32/~durey99/shop/shop-infopage.php?longref=131~Miscellaneous-Products-Indicator-Plates-&-Posts~0

But I also found sites that suggested it was Stop Valve, so am not 100% sure.
« Last Edit: 12 August, 2011, 06:34:51 AM by imfeduptoo »

athy59

Ever since I was a small boy I imagined that the SV on fire hydrant signs stood for 'Simon Verrall'... I'm disappointed to discover that it actually means 'Safety Valve' which is apparently more important to the fire service than my name... How dull is that?! ... www.verrall.info/what-does-the-sv-on-fire-hydrant-signs-mean

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
OK...it's either a Safety Valve or a Sluice Valve.

What's a Sluice Valve? ... and why would it be in a little country road that is
miles from the sea and miles from a seweage outlet and even more miles from a canal lock?

"I live in hope"

imfeduptoo

OK...it's either a Safety Valve or a Sluice Valve.

What's a Sluice Valve? ... and why would it be in a little country road that is
miles from the sea and miles from a seweage outlet and even more miles from a canal lock?

This may not answer the original question about SV plates, but it hopefully answers the second one - what is a sluice valve?

Sluive (Presumably a mis print?) Valves: A sluice valve is often used on larger diameter mains (2” or greater) mainly for industrial and commercial feeds. It is commonly referred to as SV and has the same purpose as a stopcock to isolate different supply feeds. This works covers all maintenance and renewals of any type of sluice valve including , chamber frame & cover rebuilds, repacking glands, ease spindles, repairs to bolts and flange plates and full replacement of valves with mains work

http://www.essentialwaterservices.co.uk/mainswork.html

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
Ah Mrs FedUp, I just love it when you talk dirty...

Stopcocks!... Repacking glands!... Ease spindles!...dribble dribble drool....I am still trying to work out your hidden message in (dare I say it? Yes I dare!) Flange plates!

Seriously though, I didn't realise SVs were so complicated!

Now as I trill my way merrily down the lane to the newspaper shop at half six tomorrow morning, I will pause for a moment...listen to the bliddy seagulls practicising waking the neighbourhood...respectfully doff my imaginary cap to that SV sign lurking in the undergrowth and say "Kid, before I joined IA, I thought life was pretty simple. Now I now that even a pipsqueak roadside sign like you has its story".

Thanks Athy and thanks Mrs FedUp!
« Last Edit: 05 September, 2011, 07:21:22 AM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

imfeduptoo

Ah Mrs FedUp, I just love it when you talk dirty...

Stopcocks!... Repacking glands!... Ease spindles!...dribble dribble drool....I am still trying to work out your hidden messae in (dare I say it? Yes I dare!) Flange plates!

Seriously though, I didn't realise SVs were so complicated!

Now as I trill my way merrily down the lane to the newspaper shop at half six tomorrow morning, I will pause for a moment...listen to the bliddy seagulls practicising waking the neighbourhood...respectfully doff my imaginary cap to that SV sign lurking in the undergrowth and say "Kid, before I joined IA, I thought life was pretty simple. Now I now that even a pipsqueak roadside sign like you has its story".

Thanks Athy and thanks Mrs FedUp!

And thank you for giving me a chuckle!

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
Here's a very late development but interesting (?) development...and it is what might just be the definitive answer to "What does the SV stand for on the little SV signs?".

Mrs P-K, the noted eco-friendly but far nattier version of Swampy, has just changed career...and is now on course to become a big wheel in the new (but largely not widely known or reported on) developments in the radical and far-reaching changes to the way Britain's various antiquated legislation and laws governing sewage is controlled and administrated.

Now firmly ensconced in Southern Water's HQ Mrs P-K is rapidly becoming a Mastermind-sized expert on all things underground...our walks in and around Lewes are no longer punctuated by long, lingering pauses outside shop windows...oh no, now it is "Aha, see that oblong inspection cover...that denotes a private sewer and see that one over there..."

Mrs P-K is now affectionately known in the Brewers Arms as "Our Lady of the Sewers" and one wag said "Well, sewage has always been her strong point, she’s been talking it for years". Others ask if she is starting at the bottom…

I do not join in with banter but will do if she suddenly starts bringing her work home with her.

Anyway, to cut a very long story sideways, I asked this petite sewage expert in bed with me “You’re an expert, in simple layman’s terms, what does that SV thingy mean? There’s been this debate raging on IA recently …”

She said “It’s a Sluice Valve” and promptly turned over to dream of inspection covers and the like.

Next morning over her third cup of builder’s tea I asked if it could also be a Safety Valve.

She elaborated… “No. Well, Yes and No. It’s a Sluice Valve. In short, it is there if there’s ever a problem to stop hundreds of gallons of raw sewage blowing back into your home. So it does act like a Safety Valve”.

So the SV for Sluice Valve diverts the rampaging sewage so it all doesn’t come bursting out in your kitchen or downstairs loo while you are sitting on it finishing the crossword.

And it also lets those doughty lads from the water companies to shove a tiny CCTV camera down there to find the source of the fault.

Interesting stuff eh? Almost as good as counting wet sheep.

« Last Edit: 05 September, 2011, 10:22:32 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline Hiheels

• Founder member, in the naughty corner for smoking in the café.
  • Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 123
  • -Receive: 82
  • Helpfulness: 677
  • Yes, yes, very nice. Now put it away.
Seems like our Lady of the Valves has stopped up that gap in our knowledge rather conclusively  :D

(Incidentally....mmmm builder's tea... ;D)

gfhjgh

The top digit is the diametre of the safety valve and the bottem one is the distance ;)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
The top digit is the diametre of the safety valve and the bottem one is the distance ;)

Hi gfhjgh! Well I thought that this question was long buried! Originally asked on 11 August, 2011 it has lain dormant. Congratulations on finding it. It is really nice that you have picked it up.....at least, I think it is.

I thought that I knew all about thee mysterious SV signs that were sprouting up in the lanes and all over the hedgerows around my house. I figured I had it taped.

But, oh no! Suddenly there's more!

Now there's  the diametre of the safety valve and a number at the bottom showing the distance.

Now I am thrown right back into wondering and thinking again...where I once strolled placidly down to my newsagent's, I now eye these SV signs with renewed suspicion.

Why (I now keep worrying to myself) why is the precise diametre of this safety valve so crucially important?

Worse still, why would somebody need to know its exact diametre  they even took the cover off? It must be vitally important info...but to whom? And why?

And then there iis your news about the little numbers at the bottom showing the distance. Distance , I imagine, from the sign itself to the actual valve-thingy sunk in the pavement?

I get that part...I can understand that bit but still can't think of any really decent reason why the valve's diametre could be so important that someone would need to know it without even having to look. Or are they just too bone idle?

Is there even more to this? Are there even more things I am not seeing?

Please tell me more and put my mind at rest so my early morning saunters for the newspaper can go back to being the carefree little strolls they used to be before all this mysterious new SV stuff suddenly broke in.

"I live in hope"

PHILIP WAGSTAFF

We live in rural Norfolk and have come across several plates with SV cast into them. It cannot possibly stand for sluice valve as there is no sewage system, every house has it's own cess pit or variation on that.

In one allotment area there is a group of four plates (two cast iron bearing SV, one cast iron without and a plastic cover) between a pumping station of some kind and a communal water tap. Stop Valve seems to make more sense but why the need for two of them, and what hides under the third and fourth plates?

Wompon

Worse still, why would somebody need to know its exact diametre  they even took the cover off? It must be vitally important info...but to whom? And why?

The diameter of the pipe would be useful information if you were to try to attach another pipe to it.
You'd know what pipe fittings to use, for a start.

Older ones would be in imperial measurements (probably BSP = British Standard Pipe) but more modern ones might well have gone for this Frenchy metric stuff.

And it's not that easy to tell at a glance which is which. 
1/2" household plumbing looks very like modern 15mm pipework - and you can often get away with using 15mm compression fittings on a 1/2" pipe.
22mm pipework looks a lot like the older 3/4" setup.
2" pipe is a pretty close fit with 50mm. 
But the threads aren't compatible, and you often can't see the threads until you've actually unscrewed the fitting.

Wouldn't you rather have the correct fittings/adapters to hand BEFORE you disconnect it and flood the surrounding area?    lmao