!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Double vision.  (Read 2436 times)

Offline antonymous

• Perpendicular Galileo Galilei
  • Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 133
  • Helpfulness: 168
  • "We're all bankers now!"
    • Antonymous2011 Flickr Page
Double vision.
« on: 04 March, 2011, 10:36:13 PM »
I've always assumedthat the term 'double vision' referred to a condition where the viewer sees two images side by side. However I have been aware for sometime now that when looking at objects further away than a few meters I see two images , one slightly above t'other. This is corrected by ordinary reading glasses which are normally perched on the end of my nose and can be brought into play by a small tilt of the
head backwards.
My question is this  - was I wrong in my original assumption about 'double vision'?
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Sometimes it'svice versa"

Offline Hiheels

• Founder member, in the naughty corner for smoking in the café.
  • Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 123
  • -Receive: 82
  • Helpfulness: 677
  • Yes, yes, very nice. Now put it away.
Re: Double vision.
« Reply #1 on: 04 March, 2011, 10:43:15 PM »
This was always my understanding of double vision, something rather more peripheral perhaps than your first description

Offline antonymous

• Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: 05 March, 2011, 08:47:59 AM »
This was always my understanding of double vision, something rather more peripheral perhaps than your first description

No , thats exactly what I meant - so what is my condition called? (ie a vertical version of that image)
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Sometimes it'svice versa"

Offline Hiheels

• Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: 05 March, 2011, 10:00:07 AM »
Still double vision (diplopia), there's an article on it here and one of the diagnostic questions refers to images being one on top of the other rather than side by side.
Incidentally, I know it's easy when reading a web diagnosis (and bear in mind I'm not medically trained!) to potentially talk yourself into knowing you have rabies with a side order of scrofula, but if you haven't already it looks like it might be worth a trip to your doc - there are a lot of underlaying causes and I don't want you poorly when there's all sorts that can be done.
http://www.webmd.boots.com/eye-health/double-vision-diplopia-causes-symptoms-diagnosis-treatment

(If the site gives you a pop-up then you might need to search again after you select the British version).

Offline antonymous

• Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: 05 March, 2011, 11:39:59 AM »
Still double vision (diplopia), there's an article on it here and one of the diagnostic questions refers to images being one on top of the other rather than side by side.
Incidentally, I know it's easy when reading a web diagnosis (and bear in mind I'm not medically trained!) to potentially talk yourself into knowing you have rabies with a side order of scrofula, but if you haven't already it looks like it might be worth a trip to your doc - there are a lot of underlaying causes and I don't want you poorly when there's all sorts that can be done.
http://www.webmd.boots.com/eye-health/double-vision-diplopia-causes-symptoms-diagnosis-treatment

(If the site gives you a pop-up then you might need to search again after you select the British version).
High blood pressure is one cause but I'm already on medication for that.
I'll pop in for an eye test next week.
Thanks Heels.

Offline Hiheels

• Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: 05 March, 2011, 01:49:08 PM »
Good plan  :D