!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Would you eat mealworm steak to save the planet?  (Read 3642 times)

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
Would you eat mealworm steak to save the planet?
« on: 10 January, 2011, 01:45:41 PM »
Apparently, pound-for-pound, insect meat has less greenhouse gas as a by-product than steak (1-2 orders of magnitude less)
http://news.mongabay.com/2011/0109-morgan_insect_meat.html

Would you eat it if you couldn't tell the difference (but still knew what it was you were eating)?

Offline hdtg

• Student - AS Level
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 5
  • Helpfulness: 11
Re: Would you eat mealworm steak to save the planet?
« Reply #1 on: 10 January, 2011, 02:07:44 PM »
I dont believe i would have any issue at all.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
« Reply #2 on: 10 January, 2011, 02:49:59 PM »
I really don't know...I might try it but I don't think I'd relish it.  I suppose they'd be no more
outlandish than tucking into frogs legs or snails, both of which I enjoy.

Insects twice as environmentally beneficial as steak? That makes a very good argument and future generations
may have to get used it.

I don't really like steak either...happy little locally-reared free range Sussex pigs are about as bloody as
I usually get.

But, having said that, my neighbour who keeps me supplied with free pheasant and greylag geese has
invited Mrs P-K and me round for squirrel pie next week.

If you could have seen Mrs P-K's townie face screw up in revulsion!

She just gasped indignantly "No way! I am NOT eating squirrel. I used to be a member of the Tufty Club!"

She had the same aversion to a brilliant pigeon pie that I made a couple of weeks ago. She just couldn't
stop thinking that the pigeons were Trafalgar Square flying rats and not plump free-range corn fed wood pigeons.

So I think that the mind is the big obstacle...especially with me and mealworms etc. I would try chocolate
covered ants but be less ready to tucking in to a plate of these fellers...

Rationally, the eco-arguments are really strong and I have eaten some weird things in the past (pigs intestines in
water buffalo's bood being one delicacy I enjoyed in Kowloon along with the odd snake etc) but it
would take a force of will power and regular consumption to eat mealworm stew with any real appetite.

Maybe Heston Bloominheck has a few nifty recipes though...

« Last Edit: 10 January, 2011, 11:32:07 PM by P-Kasso »
"I live in hope"

Offline hdtg

• Student - AS Level
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 5
  • Helpfulness: 11
« Reply #3 on: 10 January, 2011, 05:11:39 PM »
As a little kid my dad who is big on survival skills, would take us on various expeditions. During the course of which he would expect us to eat whatever bounty nature had to offer. His opinion was if in need everything edible is food. He had a point and honestly as people have genuinely died of starvation with food around them i think he was right to make sure i would never die of disgust.

Offline jacquesdor

• Founder member.
  • Founder
  • Bachelor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 13
  • Helpfulness: 24
« Reply #4 on: 10 January, 2011, 05:46:55 PM »
It wouldn't be easy, but if I truly couldn't tell the difference, then I would be willing to give it a go. I have eaten strange things in my time, the only thing that stops me is if I dislike the taste or texture. I really do not like snails..... or oysters....... but am neither over queasy nor sentimental about food. I don't think saving the planet would be my motivation, I would do it from curiosity!

Offline KentPDG

• Founder member.
  • Founder
  • Student - AS Level
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Helpfulness: 5
« Reply #5 on: 10 January, 2011, 06:00:48 PM »
For openers, I don't believe that whatever I eat or don't eat will have the smallest effect on the survival of this planet.  For example, I could eat all the Plutonium-239 or Army Ants that this body could hold (prior to its prematurely expiring), and the chance of nuclear holocaust or the planet being denuded by rampaging ants would not vary even a trifle.  Much less, whether I would eat one mealworm, or all the mealworms which this aging body could hold.

So it would take a stronger motivation than Thinking Green for me to contemplate a mealworm dinner.

That said, my wife is Japanese; and so we frequently eat what most Americans would call fish bait, i.e., small sections of raw fish, of sundry species.  And from time to time we eat masses of fish eggs, which she and most Japanese consider a great delicacy.  Just the other night she served me some raw oysters, creatures which only hours earlier had doubtless been contemplating producing some valuable pearls.

While on a trip to Russia, I was served a huge plate of cooked sheep's blood, a gelatinous brown pile which resembled nothing else that I have ever learned to recognize as food.  Again, the locals considered this a delicacy.  At the same meal I was served a cooked sheep's head, intact except for the outer wool; and in front of a large group of diners, I was expected to pluck off a morsel, eat it, and pronounce it ambrosaic in quality and flavor.

At one time, I employed many Jamaican workers, as apple pickers.  When the harvest season was over, they threw a banquet (at my expense).  At that time, they introduced me to Cow Foot Soup, which is made principally by boiling the feet severed post-mortem from several cows.

These are but a few examples of bizarre treats which I have been expected to eat, either on my travels or in my home.  So would I eat a mealworm steak?  Well, it's not something I would order from a restaurant menu, but if it were served and the host(ess) would be offended if I turned it down, then to be a good sport I would make a go at it.  Preferably, however, cooked and properly spiced.  And accompanied by a properly aged, bold and hearty, red wine.
« Last Edit: 10 January, 2011, 06:10:25 PM by KentPDG »

Offline seacommander

• Founder member.
  • Founder
  • Archimedes
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 63
  • Helpfulness: 87
« Reply #6 on: 10 January, 2011, 07:19:13 PM »
I would be quite prepared to give it a go. I'm sure it can't be worse than snails (slugs with a shell!!), shellfish, brains tripe etc. Ultimately, much of our 'taste' in foods results from convention and local/national acceptability. One man's meat is another......

imfeduptoo

« Reply #7 on: 11 January, 2011, 01:02:13 AM »
YUK!!! No way.
I am really fussy about my food and have been known to go hungry rather than eat something I didn't like.
I'd be a vegetarian.

Offline moonzero2

• One of the original IQunion
  • Founder
  • Bachelor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 4
  • Helpfulness: 16
  • Military intelligence is an oxymoron
« Reply #8 on: 14 March, 2011, 08:08:03 AM »
Not knowingly, then again I have tried that quorn stuff and found it to be tasteless pap.
If at first you don't succeed,
then skydiving is not for you.

altrouge

« Reply #9 on: 19 November, 2011, 03:34:12 PM »
I don't know really.. If I knew that it was mealworms then I most likely wouldn't even try it. However if I wasn't informed, ate it anyway then was told that it was mealworms afterwards I guess I'd be pretty fine.

Offline Daemonangel

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Helpfulness: 0
« Reply #10 on: 30 January, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »
The only reason we think eating mealworms is gross is because it's not common for most of us to eat bugs.  I think if it became a more socially accepted food item it could potentially become a meat alternative.  You'd need to start a bugs r yummy campaign.  Lol. Then you'd probably have some nutty protesters saying how bugs shouldn't be eaten cuz they're important to the environment or something.  It'd be a big complicated mess.  Eh, I'll stick to poultry and cows.