!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Dilema for Christmas Day  (Read 2731 times)

Offline tecspec

• Founder
  • Bachelor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 47
  • -Receive: 26
  • Helpfulness: 39
  • I'm Welsh and proud of it.
    • Soosie Wales
Dilema for Christmas Day
« on: 22 December, 2010, 08:01:17 PM »
Ok all, thinking caps on please..

There are just 3 adults in our house for Christmas Lunch this year. We'll be having a Turkey, roasters and veg and my home made Christmas pud for afters.

BUT - what to do for starters??

In previous years we've had :
Ceasar Salad
Egg Mayonaise
Prawn Cocktail
Home made veg soup.

now I don't mind any of the above but would like to have something different this year. Not bothered whether it's hot or cold.

I don't mind a bit of preparation and a reasonable cost. Any suggestions?

What will you be having??
;-)

Offline seacommander

• Founder member.
  • Founder
  • Archimedes
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 63
  • Helpfulness: 87
Re: Dilema for Christmas Day
« Reply #1 on: 22 December, 2010, 08:26:10 PM »
I shall be making - home made that is - courgette soup. She who must be obeyed thinks that my cauliflower and stilton is too powerful for her fussy sister.

imfeduptoo

« Reply #2 on: 22 December, 2010, 08:54:13 PM »
Try this - it's delicious, and because it's served cold it can be made well in advance of the meal.

It nice and light so doesn't fill you up before you have to tackle the main course.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/beef-recipes/fresh-asian-noodle-salad

We never have a starter before Christmas lunch or we wouldn't get through the meal - just have a few mince pies and a couple of glasses of Champagne mid morning

Offline Duffield1

• Founder member and wannabe deity.
  • Administrator
  • Maria Montessori
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 61
  • -Receive: 36
  • Helpfulness: 67
  • I ain't nothing but a hound dawg...
« Reply #3 on: 22 December, 2010, 09:32:46 PM »
We've had exactly the same debate today...

Offline Hiheels

• Founder member, in the naughty corner for smoking in the café.
  • Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 123
  • -Receive: 82
  • Helpfulness: 677
  • Yes, yes, very nice. Now put it away.
« Reply #4 on: 22 December, 2010, 10:26:29 PM »
We don't usually have a starter for chrimbo lunch, but if helps as an idea one of my favourite starters is pate and toast - you could melba the toast to make it lighter and have a nice festive pate.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
« Reply #5 on: 23 December, 2010, 08:08:46 AM »
Right...what you want is something that takes absolutely no work, is ready in minutes, is fresh, unbelievably tasty and piping hot.
That a novice could do. That is light. That astounds your friends and elevates you to celeb chef status. And that is as cheap as chips. Correct?

Surprisingly, this gourmet-like starter is easily within your grasp if you have a frying pan and a spatula. What you are after is Sauteed Chicken Livers.

That's what I'll be knocking up before the goose this Christmas...All you do is for a five-star starter for three people is...

Take three quarters of a pound of chicken livers. Chop them in half.

Heat some butter and oil in your pan. Add some sliced mushrooms and onions and saute until nicely brown, stirring occasionally.

Add the chicken livers and cook for 5 to 6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Job almost done.

Add a half glass of dry white wine and cook, stirring in all of the tasty pan drippings, for an additional minute or two. Add some salt and pepper.

Serve and stand back and savour the applause.

Top off the individual servings with parsley or some salad or rocket leaves if you want to look flash and...Bingo!

And as HiHeels suggests, dishing it up on melba'ed toast adds a little festive extra-specialness.

If you like the taste chicken liver pate, you and your friends will fall off their chairs for this. But, unlike boring chicken liver pate, this has lots of
different flavours as you tuck in.

For the full recipe try this website below or simply try googling Sauteed Chicken Livers, you'll find masses of dead easy versions of this including
a very toothsome Egyptian Style Chicken Livers amongst many many more...

http://www.bigoven.com/recipe/162854/sauteed-chicken-livers-with-onions-and-mushrooms

Alternatively, you can always make your own chicken liver pate (just add google) or even serve some you bought yourself earlier.

BTW Importantly this recipe above gives you a very healthy starter...Per Serving: 362 Calories; 23g Fat (59.9% calories from fat); 23g Protein;
12g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fibre; 529mg Cholesterol; 215mg Sodium.
« Last Edit: 23 December, 2010, 09:21:36 AM by P-Kasso »
"I live in hope"

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
« Reply #6 on: 23 December, 2010, 09:20:42 AM »
My suggestion to go alongside others: a goats cheese & pesto tart.

Ingredients: 1 small bottle of pesto, some good goats cheese (I use the small cylinder variety to make individual tarts), some puff pastry.

Roll out pastry, cut into small squares (about 2" square). Spread a dab of pesto in the middle of each square, top with goats cheese. Bung in the oven for about 10-15 mins (I forget the required temp, but probably around 160-180). Serve hot with a teeny side salad.

Obviously it needs some room in the oven, which may not be compatible with a roast dinner :)

Offline AnswerMe

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Helpfulness: 0
« Reply #7 on: 23 December, 2010, 09:18:02 PM »
We always have pretzels. You can actually make them yourself or just buy them frozen. Really delicious and not too much. Just like the bread you get before getting your steak when you go out for dinner.

Offline antonymous

• Perpendicular Galileo Galilei
  • Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 133
  • Helpfulness: 168
  • "We're all bankers now!"
    • Antonymous2011 Flickr Page
« Reply #8 on: 23 December, 2010, 09:39:29 PM »
A perfect starter for a Chrimbo belly buster -:

Avocado Vinaigrette     5mins

Serves 4   

Ingredients:

2 Fresh Avocado

4 tbsp Wine Vinegar

6 tbsp Olive Oil

Salt and Black Pepper

Instructions

1. In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper until well blended. Chill until ready to serve.

2.  Halve the avocados lengthways. You will find if you cut all the way round and then holding both halves (one in each hand) twist in opposite directions, one half will come away cleanly.  Then simply remove the large stone remaining in the other half with a spoon.

3. To serve - place the avocado halves on individual plates and fill the centre of each avocado with some vinaigrette.

Job done!
Bon appetit!
Happy Christmas

“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Sometimes it'svice versa"

Offline Hiheels

• Founder member, in the naughty corner for smoking in the café.
  • Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 123
  • -Receive: 82
  • Helpfulness: 677
  • Yes, yes, very nice. Now put it away.
« Reply #9 on: 23 December, 2010, 10:48:53 PM »
We always have pretzels. You can actually make them yourself or just buy them frozen. Really delicious and not too much. Just like the bread you get before getting your steak when you go out for dinner.

Mmmm, pretzels. I love the ones with salt on.

Offline tecspec

• Founder
  • Bachelor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 47
  • -Receive: 26
  • Helpfulness: 39
  • I'm Welsh and proud of it.
    • Soosie Wales
« Reply #10 on: 23 December, 2010, 11:50:22 PM »
Thank you all for your suggestions.

Concensus at home is soup. I planned to take off the legs and wings of the Turkey and just roast the Crown. The legs are going to be roasted separately.
The wings and the back of carcass will be put into to good use for stock. So will now put some winter veg into the stock. OR will just carmelise onions to make French onion soup.

Other alternative was mushrooms on Bruchetta, something hubby actually requested after looking through my cook books. His usual answer is ' oh I don't mind - what ever is easiest'!
;-)