!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Where did the term 'going commando' come from?  (Read 1186 times)

Wumpus

Where did the term 'going commando' come from?
« on: 04 November, 2010, 07:23:53 PM »
 :o

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Vice Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 114
  • -Receive: 62
  • Helpfulness: 107
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
  • Referrals: 3
Re: Where did the term 'going commando' come from?
« Reply #1 on: 04 November, 2010, 07:49:44 PM »
I seem to recall reading it actually came from Friends - the scene where Joey wears all of Chandler's clothes. The claim being that he'd ad libbed it and it stuck. If so, all credit to Matt Le Blanc, as it's genius.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • Founder
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 103
  • Helpfulness: 154
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #2 on: 05 November, 2010, 06:26:24 PM »
The origin, I was told by an old SAS hand, comes from Commandos not wearing Y Fronts when on a mission.

Something to do with hygiene when you are stuck in the wilderness for weeks without a washing machine.

I never did really understand it though.

PS from later after a bit of digging...

Wiki adds a note that suggests that, in humid jungle or rain forest conditions, going knickerless has several practical benefits...

"The origins of the phrase are uncertain, with some speculating that it may refer to being "out in the open" or "ready for action". Slate magazine's Daniel Engber dates the modern usage to college campuses circa 1974, where it was perhaps associated with soldiers in the Vietnam War, who were reputed to go without underwear to "increase ventilation and reduce moisture."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Going_commando

Even Yahoo pipes up with this...

"The term originated with American soldiers who preferred not to wear underwear in field conditions because of its tendency to retain sweat and the additional laundry burden."

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081013093630AA5toWk

One extra point, about Friends being the origin. The same Wiki page as above adds this confident statement...

"A 1996 episode of the television sitcom Friends, "The One Where No One's Ready", has been credited with introducing the term "into the popular vernacular."
« Last Edit: 05 November, 2010, 06:43:47 PM by P-Kasso »

Wumpus

« Reply #3 on: 05 November, 2010, 11:00:11 PM »
Jungle, hey?  I'd have thought the defence against leeches would have outweighed the disadvantages of unwanted moisture.