!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: What have they done to Germolene?  (Read 82416 times)

Laura

Re: What have they done to Germolene?
« Reply #75 on: 31 July, 2015, 02:02:24 PM »
Hi There,

Can you help? I am still looking for some - do you know anywhere i can get it?

I have a chronic skin condtion i have used it on for years - and am panic stricken at the thought of running out.
Thanks so much.

bette

« Reply #76 on: 24 August, 2015, 05:22:42 PM »
you used to get Germoline 2 in a metal tube
I thought it had triple ingredients Antiseptic, anasthetic and antihistimine, am I wrong?

Offline geedly

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Helpfulness: 0
« Reply #77 on: 08 October, 2015, 08:15:57 PM »
oh no, no!  I have just run out and gone to buy the ointment I have been using for 45 years....and discover all this!  Nothing available anywhere.  Some Aspen tubes sold on ebay in last couple of weeks for £67 and £96 for two!  Anyone found any? 

Offline Teppsta

• Contributor
  • Thank You
« Reply #78 on: 10 October, 2015, 07:19:47 PM »
Like many others I have used Germolene ointment all my life as my first aid product of choice. It was my mother's alternative to going to hospital !

I managed to get one final tube from a South African seller but when that goes it will be the end of an era :-(

Offline Cosafina

• Contributor
  • Thank You
« Reply #79 on: 12 January, 2016, 03:28:25 PM »
I came here hoping someone would know where to get hold of some as I've been looking for years  BngHd.

So I've just contacted Bayer here in the UK, as suggested by someone earlier.  Here's the link if anyone else wants to add their voice: You need to put an s on the end of the http, it's then triple w followed by bayer and because we're in the UK you need to end it dot co dot uk.   After that it's slash en slash SSL slash contact.php
(sorry, seems I'm not allowed to post an external URL - which seems odd when you consider the number of external URLs that were in the thread)

Offline Hiheels

• Founder member, in the naughty corner for smoking in the café.
  • Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 123
  • -Receive: 82
  • Helpfulness: 677
  • Yes, yes, very nice. Now put it away.
« Reply #80 on: 12 January, 2016, 06:12:54 PM »
I came here hoping someone would know where to get hold of some as I've been looking for years  BngHd.

So I've just contacted Bayer here in the UK, as suggested by someone earlier.  Here's the link if anyone else wants to add their voice: You need to put an s on the end of the http, it's then triple w followed by bayer and because we're in the UK you need to end it dot co dot uk.   After that it's slash en slash SSL slash contact.php
(sorry, seems I'm not allowed to post an external URL - which seems odd when you consider the number of external URLs that were in the thread)

Thanks for that and going to the trouble of spelling out the link, I'll reproduce it here for ease http://www.bayer.co.uk/en/ssl/contact.php
You only couldn't post a live link due to being new, if you get your post count up you will find you'll be able to then post live links should you want to, it's just an anti-spam measure  :D

Offline Cosafina

• Contributor
  • Thank You
« Reply #81 on: 13 January, 2016, 03:40:12 PM »
Thanks Hiheels.

Bayer replied saying
Unfortunately the decision to discontinue this product was out of our hands as the active ingredient (Octafonium Chloride) in Germolene, is no longer available in pharmaceutical grade quality from any suppliers which would be suitable to continue with the production of Germolene Ointment.

So I contacted the Data Institute and asked them if they knew of any suppliers of Octafonium Chloride.  This was their reply:
There are about 20 manufacturers of Octafonium Chloride – CAS 15687-40-8 around the world – mainly now in China.

There are 2 in the UK:

Angene International Limited, which calls the substance by its full chemical name (Benzenemethanaminium,N,N-diethyl-N-[2-[4-(2,2,4-trimethylpentyl)phenoxy]ethyl]-, chloride)

Leancare Limited, which refers to the substance simply as CAS 15687-40-8

There are also 4 US producers.

I am not sure why Bayer say that they cannot get pharmaceutical grade CAS 15687-40-8?

Perhaps Bayer cannot source the substance at an economical price?

I have therefore responded to Audrey French at Bayer, asking her for a comment.  I would suggest that as many people as possible bombard them with this information - let's get real Germolene back on the shelves!  Joy__

Offline Hiheels

• Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
« Reply #82 on: 13 January, 2016, 03:48:30 PM »
 Gd_pst
...and hats off to Angene International if they do actually call it Benzenemethanaminium,N,N-diethyl-N-[2-[4-(2,2,4-trimethylpentyl)phenoxy]ethyl]-, chloride) 'cos that's more than I can do!

Ann Ferguson

« Reply #83 on: 06 February, 2016, 09:03:25 AM »
Surely any medical cream could be fatal if swallowed!! It's a pity that it can't be had on prescription.  The new Germolene simply doesn't work. Never buying it again.  Hope Bayer have a rethink.

Richard Holladay

« Reply #84 on: 14 February, 2016, 11:44:52 AM »
In most retail UK outlets Germolene comes in a tube packaged in a small carton. The contents might have a hint of pink but it's definitely a cream and the smell registers about 25% potency of the Original Smell (my method!).
The Old formula Ointment in the tin described in the postings contained a Deep Pink, Intense smelling Sticky Ointment. Almost universally mothers used this ointment on cuts and particularly frequently grazed knees! If applied to a badly grazed knee in generous quantity and bandaged, when a new dressing was needed one found that all the grit and gravel that had got in to the wound came cleanly away with the removal of the old dressing leaving the wound clean and benefitting from the antiseptic qualities of the ointment - something the modern day version singularly fails to do.
I believe the 1950s 1960s Ointment in a Tin displayed Gold Medals that the company who made it then (or even earlier) had been awarded for the product. Nowadays its in the same Run Of The Mill category as Boots Own, TCP and other small quantity overpriced "Antiseptic" Creams and is but a shadow of its Quality Forerunner.

Hayles

« Reply #85 on: 08 April, 2016, 03:06:48 PM »
I bought some Germolene yesterday and really disappointed that they've changed it.  So I've just ordered some of the original pink type which i saw on Amazon uk with free delivery for £2.18 (30g). My mum swears by the stuff!

jason soton

« Reply #86 on: 09 April, 2016, 06:35:46 PM »
Germolene ointment is still made under licence by Aspen Phamacare in South Africa.
It is sold in 20g and 50g plastic tubes. The original UK metal tubes were 27g as a comparison.
I ordered 10 tubes from and on line store in South Africa (called ZimSeller) at £100 when tax and shipping was included.
20 tubes actually arrived so I have listed 10 on ebay to clear as I don't need so many.
I guess you can order form SA or ebay as there seem to be a fair number of sellers there now.

Gerry

« Reply #87 on: 15 January, 2017, 11:48:40 AM »
I possess a metal tube of the pink ointment and a plastic tube of the newer white. I have had the former for many years and still use it on occasion.

Offline Hiheels

• Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
« Reply #88 on: 18 January, 2017, 01:43:35 PM »
Mind yerself, Gerry, looks like you're about to have a load of visitors in the night trying to snaffle your pink tube.
So to speak.

robert taylor

« Reply #89 on: 02 March, 2017, 05:47:23 AM »
I am now 91 and I  remember my mother always used Germolene when
I was a small boy.