!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: What have they done to Germolene?  (Read 77024 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: What have they done to Germolene?
« Reply #15 on: 18 February, 2014, 09:34:58 AM »
I couldn't help notice that with Lyndon's (hi Lyndon) answer today to What have they done to Germolene? means that Jacque's question has now been read a staggering 4,689 times.

4,689 times?

I didn't know that Germolene had such a massive following but it obviously has!

Is being read 4,689 times the record for a question on IA?
"I live in hope"

Offline seacommander

• Founder member.
  • Founder
  • Archimedes
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 63
  • Helpfulness: 87
« Reply #16 on: 18 February, 2014, 10:34:06 AM »
I am afraid to say that JD’s Germolene topic is relatively unread compared with the speeding ticket topic started by Duff which has been read nearly 29000 times. If you go to the home page and scroll down to Forum Stats and click on [More Stats] you will be taken to this page
http://www.intelligentanswers.co.uk/index.php?action=stats
which lists, amongst other interesting snippets, the top 10 topics by views.
BTW P-K you are by a country mile the most prolific topic starter.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: 19 February, 2014, 02:31:43 PM »
29,000? That's the population of a small Baltic country!

About speeding tickets?

"I live in hope"

Dawn Douglas

« Reply #18 on: 14 May, 2014, 01:29:13 PM »
Germolene Ointment - the old pink stuff - is not not available in shops like Boots, but Amazon are selling it - for £16.99 a tube!!!!!!!!! No, that's NOT a mistake and other sites are selling it for that too.  I am allergic to Savlon so really need to find some Germolene, as it works wonders - I have had two DVTs and am on anticoagulant, so often get small nicks and cuts, and with Germolene they heal with absolutely no problem - it even heals red and irritated cat scratches without any problem!  If anyone knows where I can get this product, can you PLEASE let me know? 

Offline antonymous

• Perpendicular Galileo Galilei
  • Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 133
  • Helpfulness: 168
  • "We're all bankers now!"
    • Antonymous2011 Flickr Page
« Reply #19 on: 14 May, 2014, 05:29:56 PM »
look at the above posts:

Heres somewhere to get your fix.
http://www.britsuperstore.com/acatalog/Germolene.html

Personally I swear by Savlon - it is almost possible to see  cuts and abrasions heal with an application of this little pharmaceutical wonder.
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Sometimes it'svice versa"

Offline Duffield1

• Founder member and wannabe deity.
  • Administrator
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 61
  • -Receive: 34
  • Helpfulness: 65
  • I ain't nothing but a hound dawg...
« Reply #20 on: 15 May, 2014, 08:36:52 AM »
But Ant, that supplier doesn't sell the ointment, just the products brought in to replace it.

I emailed the official retailers yesterday, and they said that it is out of stock with no idea if/when any more will come.  It is made by Bayer, but they don't give any clues in their online shop, other than that they don't have any, so I suspect that they have stopped manufacturing it.

Offline antonymous

• Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: 15 May, 2014, 10:10:46 AM »
Start looking for some 'meadowsweet' roots and make some yourself. "http://www.intelligentanswers.co.uk/index.php?topic=2465.msg13460#msg13460"

These people seem to have some https://secure.chemistdirect.co.uk

Someone's actually written a poem about it

"The puckering ping of that tin lid
   revealed a halo of pink.
Deliciously medicinal
   it polished up my nostrils
        but now it’s been lost
             in a knee-stinging, coal-fire mist."
http://algonquinstable.net/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5681
« Last Edit: 15 May, 2014, 10:25:00 AM by antonymous »
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Sometimes it'svice versa"

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: 15 May, 2014, 03:09:51 PM »
As a dedicated Gemoleny since I was about 4 years old, I have been following this thread with waves of nostalgia and rampant deja vu. Nice to know there are legions of fellow Germolenies on I.A.

But I have a little question for you all...that famous Gemolene Pink colour...is it natural?

Is it added? Just a marketing gimmick? Or is it important? What is that Gemolene Pink caused by?

PS and this is a very weird PS....I just found this following strange historical comment on a BBC chat forum at http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbarchers/html/NF2693943?thread=8399813 where, among many other riveting Germoleny snippets, someone called Loafboss wrote in on Thursday, 6th December 2012 and said that...

"I remember reading somewhere that the Germolene smell is down to the ingredient Phenol which was at one time used by the Nazis as an extermination drug injected into Concentration Camp inmates. I assume, however, that having been a regular Germolene user since childhood, the quantities involved in the ointment fall well within safety limits."

Has anybody heard of this remarkable claim before? Is it hogwash? Or is it a documented fact? Did the Nazi guards really inject Phenol into the prisoners? What precise effect would have injecting Phenol into concentration camp inmates have had?

How many buckets of Germolene would someone have to ladle on before it reached fatal levels?

And another PS Another poster on the same site writes that Laphroig Whisky smells like Germolene because of the amount of peat in the water...now I don't know about this although I must admit that Laphroig does smell like Germolene. I don't know about you but I still I prefer my whisky to smell like whisky.
« Last Edit: 15 May, 2014, 03:36:20 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Sue Stafford

« Reply #23 on: 05 July, 2014, 02:17:40 PM »
I too have always used the pink germolene which has marvellous healing properties. Now can only find watered down version of it. no good at all. Is there anywhere selling the old stuff in the green/yellow box?

Margaret white

« Reply #24 on: 16 July, 2014, 11:33:22 PM »
I went to Boots today. 

I was informed that Germolene ointment (pink and blue box with a green stripe) has been discontinued and is no longer made.

It was far better than the white stuff, and the only thing that calms my eczema. 

I cannot find it anywhere online. 

Offline antonymous

• Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: 17 July, 2014, 08:34:21 AM »
The company that manufactures Germolene is Bayer. They have  an on-line shop where you can order the very stuff you are looking for - here:
http://www.bayer-shop.co.uk/department/germolene/index.cfm?event=shop.shopfront.product.index&productId=362

OOPS! I just bought the last tube!!   whisl  Any offers?  ;)(only joking)

See below the comparison between old and new versions.

From that you will see the missing ingredient is Zinc oxide (6.9% old to 0% new) but the active ingredients are the same. So buy some zinc oxide and mix some up with the new stuff and voila ! Robert est ton oncle!

The old stuff lists 4 active ingredients including zinc oxide see 2nd attachmnt.

WARNING: Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with zinc oxide cream. However, no specific interactions with zinc oxide cream are known at this time.

This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if zinc oxide cream may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
« Last Edit: 17 July, 2014, 09:20:24 AM by antonymous »

Offline antonymous

• Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: 17 July, 2014, 11:59:52 AM »
Further - in an earlier post i mentioned meadowsweet - well here's a list of the make up of that plant - compare with the ingredients of germolene.

MEADOWSWEET
"Chemistry
Flavonoids in meadowsweet include the flavonol glycosides rutin, hyperin, and spiraeoside. 4 Spiraeoside has been evaluated in the plant's flowers. 10 Glycoside spiraein (quercitin glycoside and salicylaldehyde primveroside) is present, as are phenolic glycosides including gaultherin. 3 , 8 A phenolic glycoside from meadowsweet flowers has been reported. 11 Quercetin and kaempferol derivatives have also been found in the plant, and hyperoside is present primarily in the leaves and stalks. 4 A report is available on 7 flavonoids isolated from meadowsweet flowers, fruits, leaves, and stalks"
Constituents in meadowsweet include 10% to 20% of hexahydroxydiphenic acid esters of glucose and tannins. "
http://www.drugs.com/npp/meadowsweet.html
« Last Edit: 17 July, 2014, 12:02:08 PM by antonymous »

tuts1946

« Reply #27 on: 21 July, 2014, 12:35:26 PM »
the bayer site says sold out under the picture of germolene ointment

Jane

« Reply #28 on: 08 August, 2014, 05:29:08 PM »
I can't find any anywhere.  This stuff is absolutely the best.  We need to start a campaign or something to get it back on the shelves.  Help!!

lizzie

« Reply #29 on: 12 August, 2014, 05:35:41 PM »
Apparently -  I have been told by a doctor - it is no longer available because of its ingredients which can be fatal if swallowed - health and safety - i don't know what I will do without it - wish I had known sooner of its demise and stockpiled - price on ebay now £24.99 and Amazon £30.99 - thinking about it!!