!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Does anyone have any personal experience of ceramic hob cleaners?  (Read 1040 times)

Offline Hiheels

• Founder member, in the naughty corner for smoking in the café.
  • Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 123
  • -Receive: 82
  • Helpfulness: 677
  • Yes, yes, very nice. Now put it away.
Are they worth it? If so, which have you found to be the best? If there's something better, what is it? Does a go-over with water with a bit of washing up liquid in it do it?
The floor is yours collectively...

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: Does anyone have any personal experience of ceramic hob cleaners?
« Reply #1 on: 12 March, 2017, 07:24:08 PM »
Are they worth it? If so, which have you found to be the best? If there's something better, what is it? Does a go-over with water with a bit of washing up liquid in it do it?
The floor is yours collectively...

I don't have personal experience but, I almost do. My sister and I are very close and, unlike me, she has had a very snazzy ceramic hob for a couple of years, a Bosch one. Whooo! So I just called her and asked what is the best cleaner for you?

She answered in one word: cheapo vinegar. That's two words, I know, but she really swears by simply using vinegar. (Fear not, Heels! She is not one of yer typical New Age hippy dippy, three times round the spliff, tree-hugging nature freaks - nope, she as sensible as a railway timetable - but she does break into uncontrollable enconiums of fraptious joy whenever vinegar and her nice shiny ceramic hob is mentioned.)

Just vinegar, she trilled. Plain old vinegar. Nothing fancy. Nothing high-tech or Jamie Olivery from the supermarket. Just plain old vinegar from the back of your larder.

She doesn't know why it works. But says it does. A treat. And her personal twist is that, while using cold vinegar straight from the bottle is very good, she finds using warmed up vinegar turns it into a something else! A super cleaner! She just heats it up in a saucepan on her ceramic hob like you'd heat up some milk. It's that simple.

So you can safely put all those Brillo pads away now, Heels. It's Hot Vinegar you want. Just some hot vinegar dabbed on with a cloth or a sponge and wiped off straightaway or left on any really grungy bits for a couple of minutes, ok maybe for 5 minutes, tops.

She says it just disappears all the gunge like you wouldn't believe and, best of all, it doesn't leave any scratches behind because it's not abrasive.

I asked her what kind of vinegar works best? She said it really doesn't seem to matter. Sarson's malt vinegar, cider vinegar, left-over poncey white wine vinegar, old pickling vinegar if you're desperate. Whatever you've got lurking in the kitchen cupboard. She says they all seem to work for her. Which explains why everyone who knows my sister is always remarking on what a lovely shiny hob she has.
"I live in hope"