!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: What have they done to Germolene?  (Read 83162 times)

Offline jacquesdor

• Founder member.
  • Founder
  • Bachelor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 13
  • Helpfulness: 24
What have they done to Germolene?
« on: 27 August, 2010, 09:38:25 AM »
Having lived out  of England for some time, I am out of touch with a lot of things. A recent visitor bought me some supplies, including Germoline.
It isn't pink !
The smell is gone!
I am sure it used to be spelled  Germaline, the 'A' is now 'O'.
How long ago were these changes made, and can I be assured it is still the magic stuff essential for all first aid boxes?
Sometimes it is hard to be an ex pat.

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
Re: What have they done to Germolene?
« Reply #1 on: 27 August, 2010, 09:49:23 AM »
I think it's always been germolene:
"Dermatological/topical products:
Bepanthen®, Bepanthol®, Canesten®, RID®, Germolene®, Germoloids® and Bactin®" (From the Bayer website)

"Sir William Veno
Inventor of Veno's Cough Syrup & Germolene

Sir William Henry Veno was born William Reynard Varney in 1866 in Castle Douglas. In August 1894, aged just 28 years, he moved to Canada and registered his company Veno's. Whilst there he invented Veno's Lightening Cough Cure and Germolene among many others, and these famous brands are still known and used to this day.
    He met Mary Pearson whilst abroad and they married and moved back to live in England, where William set up his company, Veno Drug Company Limited, in Manchester on Chester Road. (Though this building was in existence in June 1922 when permission was given for an extension, it seems to no longer exist).
    William was knighted 15th June 1920 and became the Mayor of Altrincham.
    Following a scare regarding a growth on his lip which was believed to be cancerous, he offered tens of thousands of pounds for anyone who could find a cure for cancer.
    The Veno Drug Company was bought in 1925 by Beechams. Sadly, in 1933, Sir William was found shot dead in the grounds of his house. A verdict of suicide was given. "
http://www.manchester2002-uk.com/celebs/commerce/commerce6.html
 I imagine the reformulation into a cream was summat to do with the 1999 purchase of the brand from Smithkline Beecham by Bayer - but I could be wrong. It should still be the same stuff, though (suitably risk-assessed by our H&S obsessed culture)

Wumpus

« Reply #2 on: 27 August, 2010, 12:05:01 PM »
I seem to remember the contents of the last tube I bought was white, and didn't smell as strong as the traditional stuff.
But it wasn't just the standard stuff - it had a local anaesthetic in it as well.

Could be you've picked up the new, improved version?

Offline AtMyWitzEnd

• February 2011 prize-quiz winner.
  • Pythagoras
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
  • Helpfulness: 84
« Reply #3 on: 28 August, 2010, 06:29:12 AM »
Its has always been Germolene ... but there are now two seperate products. The traditional Germolene Cream and the new Germolene Ointment. One is the pink stuff that smells of hospitals or dentist's mouthwash and the other is (in my opinion) a rip off of Savlon. They are both available and are a similar price.
27g Germolene Ointment £1.44
30g Germolene Cream £1.89
Whichever one you have, ask for a Red Cross parcel to be dropped with the other one.

Wumpus

« Reply #4 on: 28 August, 2010, 09:33:58 AM »
Funny, the tube I got came in the pink box, but has local anaesthetic.

Offline antonymous

• Perpendicular Galileo Galilei
  • Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 133
  • Helpfulness: 168
  • "We're all bankers now!"
    • Antonymous2011 Flickr Page
« Reply #5 on: 28 August, 2010, 08:07:06 PM »
Whilst walking in Wales a couple of weeks ago I met a walker travelling in the opposite direction and he held in his hand  a plant. Curious I got into conversation with him and discovered that he was a bio-chemist, and when I mentioned the plant he held in his hand he informed me that it was "meadowsweet". He became quite excited and explained that the root of the plant contained the antiseptic basis of 'Germolene'(phenol) and in fact smells a bit like the old pink stuff my mother used to buy. He scraped of the outer surface of the root and took a nibble and offered me a nibble too- it tasted like germolene smells and apparently is good for headaches as it contains the natural version of Aspirin.
I thought you might like to know that. :D
« Last Edit: 28 August, 2010, 08:09:14 PM by antonymous »
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Sometimes it'svice versa"

Offline jacquesdor

• Founder member.
  • Founder
  • Bachelor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 13
  • Helpfulness: 24
« Reply #6 on: 28 August, 2010, 10:30:21 PM »
Very much I like to know that. Meadow sweet has long been one of my favourite flowers.. the actual flower smells wonderful and not a bit like Germoline. Very interesting information, many thanks.

Offline AtMyWitzEnd

• February 2011 prize-quiz winner.
  • Pythagoras
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
  • Helpfulness: 84
« Reply #7 on: 28 August, 2010, 10:36:13 PM »
Actually, both versions have the local anaesthetic now ... the picture of the pink one wasn't clear though!

Offline antonymous

• Perpendicular Galileo Galilei
  • Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 133
  • Helpfulness: 168
  • "We're all bankers now!"
    • Antonymous2011 Flickr Page
« Reply #8 on: 29 August, 2010, 06:22:21 PM »
Actually, both versions have the local anaesthetic now ... the picture of the pink one wasn't clear though!

#
The germolene my mother used to smear on every cut and abrasion I suffered actually came in a small tin about 5 cm in diameter and 1 cm deep. when the tin was opened the large surface area of the stuff that was exposed to the air meant that the distinctive smell it possessed quickly permeated the whole room. Just another trivial germolene fact.
Apparently you can still get in a tin in South Africa.
« Last Edit: 29 August, 2010, 06:41:54 PM by antonymous »
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Sometimes it'svice versa"

Wumpus

« Reply #9 on: 29 August, 2010, 08:48:22 PM »
My dad used to get a product called Fiery Jack in a similar tin.

Believe me, you didn't muddle the tins up twice.    :o

ange

« Reply #10 on: 05 August, 2012, 09:02:34 AM »
There are two sorts, you want the antiseptic OINTMENT its pink and smells like the one in the tin from years ago. The boxes are very similar though. Boots sell it. x

NETTKNUT

« Reply #11 on: 24 October, 2013, 02:50:51 PM »
The original Germolene used zinc oxide as the active ingredient. The new fangled stuff does not!

Martha Flaming

« Reply #12 on: 03 November, 2013, 03:26:57 PM »
I moved to canada 10 years ago !from South Africa , I grew up so to speak on germolene , and yes you can still get the pink germolene there but as far as I know not in a tin ,just in a tube . My husband believe in germolene and puts it on everything , so I am looking at the best way to order it , eny ideas?

Offline Duffield1

• Founder member and wannabe deity.
  • Administrator
  • Maria Montessori
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 61
  • -Receive: 36
  • Helpfulness: 67
  • I ain't nothing but a hound dawg...
« Reply #13 on: 03 November, 2013, 07:47:43 PM »
Here you go - a company that ships it around the world! 
http://www.britsuperstore.com/acatalog/Germolene.html

Lyndon

« Reply #14 on: 18 February, 2014, 12:04:08 AM »
I emigrated to the Netherlands in 1968 and so did my tin of Germolene!
All through the years my family used it, and friends borrowed it. So as an expert of what Germolene can do, forget the white stuff and KEEP the pink, it is far superior. It is truly a miracle worker.