!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Is this the Age of Pisces? What happened to the Age of Aquarius?  (Read 2031 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
A noted Sussex historian journalist told me in the Brewer's Arms yesterday that "We are in
the Age of Pisces".

Choking on my half pint of Dark Star ale, I said "huh?'"

He said he thinks that every zodiac sign has its Age...and an Age, he thought, lasts a thousand years.

Which, to me, means we should still be firmly in the Age of Aquarius. No?

Not being a smells-and-bells kind of person I thought I'd ask you. Any ideas?

PS This is the Brewer's Arms, renowned hotbed of debate ranging from the sublime to the definitely, decidedly
weird and wakkky.

"I live in hope"

Offline AtMyWitzEnd

• February 2011 prize-quiz winner.
  • Pythagoras
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
  • Helpfulness: 84
Re: Is this the Age of Pisces? What happened to the Age of Aquarius?
« Reply #1 on: 12 August, 2010, 11:01:39 AM »
He may be right, he may be wrong about the current age! (but he is not technically accurate) ... it depends on which model of the Astrological Ages you follow. There is much contention on this matter. The Age of Aquarius is either the current age in the cycle of astrological ages or the new age, in which case we are still in the Age of Pisces.

He is wrong about the length of each Astrological Age though. Each is approximately 2,150 years long, on average, but there are various methods of calculating this length that may yield longer or shorter time spans depending upon the technique used (as I said, lots of contention).

The first thing to realise is that the astrological ages proceed in the opposite direction or order to the more commonly known “star-sign” astrology signs, where the first sign is Aries, followed by Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius, and Pisces. Therefore, the Astrological Age of Aquarius follows the Age of Pisces. This is why we are either still in Pisces or moving / have moved into Aquarius.

The 2150 years for each age corresponds to the gyration of the Earth's northern zenith points toward each of the twelve Zodiac regions in the sky (The Earth's gyroscopic precession is 25,800 years which is divided by the twelve Zodiac points to give 2150 years for each age).

Many astrologers believe that the Age of Aquarius has arrived recently or will arrive in the near future. On the other hand, some believe that the Age of Aquarius arrived up to five centuries ago, or will not start until six centuries from now. Despite all references provided by various sources, astrologers cannot agree upon exact dates for the beginning or ending of the ages.

The Wikipedia article on Astrological Ages lists much of the difference of opinion on this matter, especially this section: 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrological_age#Are_ages_equal_or_of_variable_lengths_based_on_the_zodiacal_constellations.3F

Offline Blacksmith81

• Founder
  • Student - Level 3
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
  • Helpfulness: 7
« Reply #2 on: 12 August, 2010, 02:09:14 PM »

The first thing to realise is that the astrological ages proceed in the opposite direction or order to the more commonly known “star-sign” astrology signs, where the first sign is Aries, followed by Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius, and Pisces. Therefore, the Astrological Age of Aquarius follows the Age of Pisces. This is why we are either still in Pisces or moving / have moved into Aquarius.

The 2150 years for each age corresponds to the gyration of the Earth's northern zenith points toward each of the twelve Zodiac regions in the sky (The Earth's gyroscopic precession is 25,800 years which is divided by the twelve Zodiac points to give 2150 years for each age).

Many astrologers believe that the Age of Aquarius has arrived recently or will arrive in the near future. On the other hand, some believe that the Age of Aquarius arrived up to five centuries ago, or will not start until six centuries from now. Despite all references provided by various sources, astrologers cannot agree upon exact dates for the beginning or ending of the ages.

This is also my understanding, it's difficult to state definitively when an Astrological Age starts and/finishes. Since this is a process of transition that spans centuries, rather than an abrupt change. As the influences of the emergent age increasingly predominate over more established influences, redefining the existential paradigm in the process.

Any analysis of the transition, can only be made after the transition is complete. Although, during the period of transition, it's possible to be aware of a transition taking place. There's no way of evaluating how far through this transition we have progressed, or how much longer there is to go.

Offline AtMyWitzEnd

• Pythagoras
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: 12 August, 2010, 02:31:15 PM »
That might be why PK's friend thinks they last 1000 years. Perhaps that is considered the length of time that you can be really sure you're in a specific age. It must be hard to determine the change-over point ... just agreeing where the Earth's axis is pointing must be argumental and then you have to agree where the "line" is between two subsequent star signs.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
« Reply #4 on: 12 August, 2010, 11:20:16 PM »
So, if I read this right, what you are saying Blacksmith and Witz is, yes, well maybe, no, but then again...

And for some reason star signs go backwards....mysteriouser and mysteriouser.

Which means, if we might have slipped accidentally out of the Age of Aquaruarius and into the Age of
Pisces without knowing it...

what does this all actually auger?

I can live with a zodaicological being 1,000 years or even 2,150 years...but...

Would you say it is better to still be in the Age of Aquarius?

Or does being in the Age of Pisces bring special benefits or...

Does it not matter one jot?

"I live in hope"

Offline AtMyWitzEnd

• Pythagoras
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: 13 August, 2010, 02:25:47 AM »
Which means, if we might have slipped accidentally out of the Age of Aquaruarius and into the Age of
Pisces without knowing it...
No, we might have slipped out of the Age of Pisces into the Age of Aquarius! Atrological Ages go backwards!
When those hippies back in the 60s sung about the dawning of the Age of Aquarius, they were either right and it had begun, or being premature as it hadn't or referring to a "dawn" that lasts for several Centuries.

Offline AtMyWitzEnd

• Pythagoras
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: 13 August, 2010, 02:47:52 AM »
And for some reason star signs go backwards....mysteriouser and mysteriouser.
This is because the "current" age is one constellation that the axis of the Earthis pointing towards. The Ages change because there is a slow and continuous change in the orientation of the Earth's rotational axis. The circular path followed by this movement of the movement of the Earth's axis is in the opposite direction to the rotation of the planet. See picture below.
« Last Edit: 13 August, 2010, 02:50:03 AM by AtMyWitzEnd »