!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: How hard/easy it it to compete against a monopolised idea?  (Read 1657 times)

Nutter

Not in the business sense. Say, for example, Psychology as a practise is entirely built on Western, white, values.

What chance do third world countries have of compiling their own psychology?
Why should we bother to look at them?

Offline Hiheels

• Founder member, in the naughty corner for smoking in the café.
  • Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 123
  • -Receive: 82
  • Helpfulness: 677
  • Yes, yes, very nice. Now put it away.
Re: How hard/easy it it to compete against a monopolised idea?
« Reply #1 on: 19 March, 2009, 01:47:46 PM »
Is it?
I'm sure there are different branches of the study and I wouldn't claim by any means to be any sort of authority on it, but surely human psychology is just that - it relates to humans and the outer covering of a person doesn't necessarily impact on all aspects, surely anyone can be motivated or demotivated in the same way wherever they're from?

People from all races, walks of life, level of ability and a myriad other variables all come up against things that affect them for good or ill, it's the character of the person that either gets them to fight back, roll over, research something further or, again, any number of other reactions.

Have I over simplified this?
As I say, I can't claim to be an expert in it.

Offline macavity

• Founder member.
  • Founder
  • Student - AS Level
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
  • Helpfulness: 13
    • props fashions
« Reply #2 on: 19 March, 2009, 03:07:38 PM »
I am no expert on this subject but this is what I have learnt in my travels and meeting many types of people and found good and bad in all walks of life

In all creeds, colours or sections of the human society there is are various components that make up the human race. In my experience in life though third world countries suffer more in comparison to the rest of the world due to the conditions they are brought up in and this causes a different outlook on their perspective of life in general so making them seem alien to the rest of the world. When one gets to understand them by being in contact you find they are no different than anyone else and the same psychology applies to all. So basically the western world as more pressures in the technical upbringing side of life so making them look at things in a different way and third world as more pressures in living in the poorer conditions of life. These fundamentals make up our personalities to proceed in life   

Offline Arellia

• Student - GCSE
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 12
  • Helpfulness: 32
« Reply #3 on: 20 March, 2009, 11:15:56 AM »
It depends entirely on the "monopolized area" and whether or not someone has the will, ability and resources to challenge or compete against it. Take your example of psychology for example - you are not about to see someone from the third world (by this I mean someone brought up in and still living in) competing in this area. why because with limited resources a person is not likely to study the subject - how is he or she to earn a living with it? Most of their compatriots would view it as something indulgent and not of practical value. If you notice most people who can study and become something will go into medicine, engineering - or other technical things, agriculture - something that is more tangible. If someone were to challenge it - it would be someone who is "better off" have studied abroad etc, and such a person would be quite influenced by what they have learnt. But then even if this person was to present a radically new theory I think people would listen to it because even if they are from a different background they would have some backing of some person, or institution that is know. If you look a psycological studies done of communities from developing nations, they are also done by someone who has at least stepped outside of it.
The other thing is resources. Again the example of a third world nation - if someone had a burning curiosity of say sub atomic particles, they still cant do anything about from their own country but read about it and so on. They would have to leave to where the resources are to do any useful work. And these opportunities are limited, there are only that many foreign scholarships, or grants or fellowships thus unless they are exceptional they would soon turn to something that can be done with the resources available to them.
I think in challenging the norm a person either needs to be in an environment where they have the knowledge - no one would argue with a person from a rice growing country - even if its small and underdeveloped if they said hey here is a new method to improve your rice yield. Or they should have the exposure such that they are know to the community that they are challenging.